How can I connect my Axe-Fx 3 to my UAD Apollo Twin?

Why not just use the analog outs of the Axe III into the XLR in's on the Apollo? I mean the purpose for using the UAD stuff is to get digital models of analog gear. I suppose you're cutting down on the AD/DA process, but is S/PDIF that much better?

I just upgraded from the MBOX3 and was using SPDIF from output 1 on the FXIII to record "wet" output 2 XLR to record "Dry" and output 3 to record DI in case I want to reamp....I am looking to do the same with the Apollo

Same one I use. Make sure you get the proper cables as well.
With this model it looks like a toslink splitter means all connections are optical - but there is no optical out on the FXIII - I was trying to use the RCA SPDIF out on FXIII to a converter and then Optical to Apollo - how did you connect you converter to the FXIII?

Last edited:
With this model it looks like a toslink splitter means all connections are optical - but there is no optical out on the FXIII - I was trying to use the RCA SPDIF out on FXIII to a converter and then Optical to Apollo - how did you connect you converter to the FXIII?

Hmm. Should work. I went SPDIF out of the AxeFX 3, into the toslink/optical converter out with a toslink cable into the Apollo Digital in.

I used these cables and splitter into the apollo.
Amazon product ASIN B00T6OVRZSAmazon product ASIN B072FKDT8CAmazon product ASIN B06XCTGZFT

There are RCA and Optical connectors. Via a switch it can either go RCA->Optical or Optical->RCA. So connect the SPDIF out of the Axe-Fx III via RCA to the adapter and then optical out of the adapter to the Apollo.

Same one I use. Make sure you get the proper cables as well.
I notice that there is only 1 RCA input on the Toslink converter link you shared.. yet my AxeFX2XL+ has 2 RCA (red and white) outs...
If I am trying to go RCA/SPDIF to the optical in on my Apollo Twin will I need to purchase 2 of these converters?

Most of the SPDIF to Optical converters I'm finding only have 1 RCA input. Are you guys buying 2 of these converters to connect your AxeFX to the Apollo Twin?

I notice that there is only 1 RCA input on the Toslink converter link you shared.. yet my AxeFX2XL+ has 2 RCA (red and white) outs...
If I am trying to go RCA/SPDIF to the optical in on my Apollo Twin will I need to purchase 2 of these converters?

Thats if you plan on routing BACK to the AxeFX from the apollo. Mainly used in Re-amping or if you have studio monitors hooked up to the AxeFX rather than the Apollo (I don't know why you would for this setup but to YMMV)

I don't do any re-amping, so SPDIF is just being sent from the AxeFX to the Apollo for recording, the audio doesn't return back to the AxeFX because I don't need it to. My studio monitors are attached to the Apollo. It's a one way connection.

Ran across this thread today as I’m thinking about running my axe 3 into the Apollo twin x with spdif. The info has been super helpful. I’m curious about the clocking? I’m not going back into the Fractal for reamp purposes, so only one way spdif. How do you set the “clocks” between the Apollo and Fractal? Also, is there any quality loss with the cheap amazon converter? The AxeFx and Apollo have incredible A/D D/A converters. Better to convert through a $15 box or just double down on back to back conversions using the analog outs on the Axe? Any help is appreciated!!!

Come again? 15 dollar amazon converter? If you’re not reamping and it’s all the same, I don’t think you’ll hear any difference where you clock to.

Come again? 15 dollar amazon converter? If you’re not reamping and it’s all the same, I don’t think you’ll hear any difference where you clock to.
The converter from spdif to optical for the connection to the Apollo is what I’m referring to. Does it affect the quality? And I don’t quite understand the clocking. Is that set on the Apollo or Axe?

The converter from spdif to optical for the connection to the Apollo is what I’m referring to. Does it affect the quality? And I don’t quite understand the clocking. Is that set on the Apollo or Axe?
I’d say once it’s digital it’s digital so I couldn’t imagine that affecting much of anything in terms of quality. I’m not certain but I don’t think there’s actual conversion happening in simply changing formats. Someone tell me if I’m wrong. The conversion happened before that point in the fractal and your interface is only passing it thru to your DAW, and ultimately handling The D to A conversion. I’m not certain but I think you can set the fractals clock to internal and shoot out spdif this way. Setting it to spdif means your changing the clock source to the Apollo. Anyone else chime in???

Back
Top Bottom