How are they getting THAT sound ??

The stock cabs IR have never been my main use. I have, almost from the beginning, always used 3. parties IR (OwnHammer, Marshall IR). It will take a big step forward to use 3. parties IR..

The stock cabs IR have never been my main use. I have, almost from the beginning, always used 3. parties IR (OwnHammer, Marshall IR). It will take a big step forward to use 3. parties IR..

The stock cabs already are a mix of Ownhammer, ML, etc....

Nothing inherently “better” about 3rd party, just gives more choices, but you already get lots of them in the box

Nothing inherently “better” about 3rd party, just gives more choices, but you already get lots of them in the box

Well I don't know the reason, but to me there is a big difference in quality. Maybe the quality is a little different (maybe newer), when they sell seperat? Better chance to sell them, I guess..

Well I don't know the reason, but to me there is a big difference in quality. Maybe the quality is a little different (maybe newer), when they sell seperat? Better chance to sell them, I guess..
Nope. No difference in the quality. They are just a smaller sample size to pick from.

IRs are like wine: everyone is going to have a different taste. Can't make an infinite set of them available in the stock selection so they had to pick a few. Sounds like those just aren't your taste in wine. That's how it goes.

Not so much on Axe Fx II... You're probably thinking of the III?

Oh, by the way to evh_slash, be assure that IF you're using two amps in a preset, but one at the time in the scenes, to mute "all the amps" in bypass mode, so those you're not using are perfect quiet. Also if you have x/y amps so you have four amps, it can tease as hell. They can bleed with an unprocessed signal to the cab block and not sound the right way.

Else I can recommend those one, from my own taste of wine: https://shop.fractalaudio.com/cab-pack-ownhammer-412-mar-green-vintage/

My query is when I play or record with the Axe FX going direct, how do I get rid of that synthetic-y sound I seem to hear when I play through the cab sim block ? (I use the high cut filter AND adjust the de-phase and proximity setting to move the virtual Mic so to speak...)
It seems to be an inherent quality of the IR / Cab sim block I have noticed . Like a squashed compressed slightly half cocked wah kind of feel.

People seem to think fizzy as a purely 'EQ' thing ... its not necessarily thin as in Bright in terms of EQ, its that processed cab sim feel I only seem to notice in my own recordings , but not when I listen to other peoples AXE fx recordings, so I'm curious what everyone ese is doing when they record DI.

What are you listening to when you going direct? Just your Studio monitors? This can be a problem.. Rather listening to a pair of (or one) FRFR powered quality scene monitor speakers or simply small powered PA - speakers FRFR, when you record. And mute the direct signal.
The issue here is the difference in volume. Axe Fx, simply sound quite different when you play in low level compared to high power level. All the "creamy sound" are mostly in high power level at powerful monitors. (Or solid state power amp and guitar cab and take cab sim of)

Last edited:
If you are like me, you will never be satisfied with playing guitar through the Axe and studio monitors or FRFR. It will never sound as fulfilling as it does through a neutral solid state power amp (Matrix or similar) and reg guitar cab, 2x12 or 4x12. I tried a bunch of different FRFR speakers(CLR, Xitone, Yamaha, JBL, etc) over several years and was never happy with any of them. If you are recording yourself though, that is a different story. You will have to hear yourself through studio monitors or headphones when you record. What I have noticed thiough is that even though I dont care for the sound I hear when I hear myself during recording but when I listen back to what I recorded, it sounds pretty good. Not sure what that means exactly but it is what it is. When I just want to jam out and play, I use ss pwr amp plus guitar cab. When I want to record myself, I use either studio monitors(in my case Presonus Eris E8's) or headphones(Sennheiser HD80's).

Also forgot to mention, obviously want to disable cab modeling and remove cab from your signal chain or create a different scene and bypass it in that scene if you want to play with ss pwr amp and guitar cab. Also have to add the FXLOOP block to send your signal to OUT2 to your ss pwr amp. At least that is how I have mine setup, OUT1 to studio monitors and OUT2 to ss pwr amp and guitar cabs.

It seems to be an inherent quality of the IR / Cab sim block I have noticed . Like a squashed compressed slightly half cocked wah kind of feel.

I'm hearing what you're saying, similar to @FreeMind I do not go into heavy modification of the Cab block because for my sonic tonal needs, the IRs the way they are cut through.

It is interesting what you're getting at though, this particular EVH tone is not easily achieved by stock amp/cab settings. There are a few presets available on Axe-Change though that at least start you down a path. I have experienced similar representations of higher treble artifacts that sound synthetic, but only when I'm honing too much into one tone.

Have you simply tried reaching out to Rocco for this patch? Or search on the axechange for a similar preset:
https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/search-results.php?search=evh&fields=all&products=0&setups=0

Some of those are pretty close I would say having tested them myself. Hope you find it! Try playing with the Cab block's preamp settings also, Cliff mentioned something about that a while back to get that iconic EVH "brown sound"

Maybe I should pay 5 euro's for this guys VH patches and then check for some high quality 3rd party IR's rather than using the stock 4x12 Basketweave Greenbacks / 4x12 Cali & see if that helps !

Without a sample, we're kind of groping in the dark here, because the way you're describing your tone could mean a lot of different things to different people. It's like consulting with a doctor and describing a skin issue. It's a heck of a lot easier to diagnose if he can actually see it. Can you post a sample?

yes, you need to do two things if you want a proper "diagnosis"

post a preset and post a recording of that preset. then someone else can post a recording of the same preset and also check it for user errors.

Reactions: JT2
Back
Top Bottom