How are the wahs on the AXE? Will they replace my real wah?

MusicManJP6

Inspired
I've got an Ernie Ball wah currently that I'm holding onto for now until I receive my AFX Standard later this week. It is the only piece of gear left from my old rig (had to liquidate my old rig to afford the AXE). Based on your experiences with the AXE's wahs will I be selling my EB Wah?!

FYI - I've got a Behringer FCB1010 coming this week as well so I'll have dedicated volume and wah expression pedals available. :cool:

The AxeFx wah is fantastic but I can't seem to get it's voicing to sound like a variety of different wahs. It's possible that this is due to my lack of programming knowledge but I don't think that's the case. Hang on to your wah for now. Jmho.

IMHO it's all there...The problem of course is getting the right parameters for the wah that you want.

I would hang to it so that you can replicate it with the axe-fx (either by ear or by actually doing a frequency response analysis).

Hey MM, welcome to the axe side of the world :cool:

I too suggest you hang onto your pedal for now. Hopefully you'll have better luck than me with the FCB, but I was never able to get the pedals to work well at all. Even if you nail the tone of your wah, you may not like the the way those pedals behave. A used wah is a fairly small ticket sale, so I'd hang on to it if you can.

Making the Behringer response curve behave exactly like your pedal is not an easy thing to do.
There will be a learning curve with the AXE-FX and this portion is somewhere at the end of that curve... so hang on to it for now, it will also help, a lot, having it handy for side by side comparison.

;)

I can't do without my Morley Bad Horsie. I personally think the Wahs in the Axe lack richness and depth (for want of a better word). I can't put my finger on what it is exactly but i own a few wahs and i can't get the Axe to sound as rich as any of them...

Now, as a filter at the end of the FX chain, that's a different story! They work really well for that classic dance music type filtering of your entire signal.

I sold my Morley Bad Horsie as soon as I got the EB Wah. The EB Wah just sounds fantastic for all applications. I'll hold onto it for now for sure until I find a way to duplicate it in the AXE.

If anyone wants to share their favorite AXE Wah settings that would be awesome!

yek said:
http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index.php?title=Yeks_How_Tos#How_to_deal_with:_Wah

Thanks Yek. There's some good info there but I'm not so sure that the Budda settings are really in the linked thread. I like the Clyde info. That's pretty helpful. :cool:

acwild said:
yek said:
http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index.php?title=Yeks_How_Tos#How_to_deal_with:_Wah

Thanks Yek. There's some good info there but I'm not so sure that the Budda settings are really in the linked thread. I like the Clyde info. That's pretty helpful. :cool:

Yea, I noticed the absence of the Budda settings as well. What a tease!

Thanks for the link, Yek.

acwild said:
yek said:

I am using the Crybaby settings in that thread. Work well for me. Also use the Damping param. in the Modifier menu.

Yup, there are are Budda settings in that thread. Researched by Javajunkie:

" Doing some studying. it seems like the fmin should be about 600hz (I would try lower, like 500), fmax ~2300hz, it has a fairly sharp peak apparently - try around 4.5-5 for res, I would try setting tracking around 5.

you will have to mess with the feel yourself. Each expression pedal is going to be different. Add a little damping to keep things from moving too quickly through the sweep.

I hope that helps

Messing around with it, I liked 420 for fmin, fmax 2200hz, a little over 5 for res, ~5.6ish for tracking, you can boost up the level a tiny bit to give you a little more hair."

I saw that and was under the impression that JJ was guessing based on specs. I'll give it a try though. Thanks again.

By the way, I'll be in Amsterdam at the end of this month. :D

acwild said:
I saw that and was under the impression that JJ was guessing based on specs. I'll give it a try though. Thanks again.

By the way, I'll be in Amsterdam at the end of this month. :D

I was looking at a web site where someone had mapped out the frequency response w/ there Buddha wah. They had some clips that I listened to and I compared it w/ my X3 sim.

You can dial great wah sounds with the Axe-Fx. It's not even that hard... I still haven't found a way to use my FCB1010 EXP pedals with the Axe-Fx. That's the real problem if you ask me.

Clark Kent said:
You can dial great wah sounds with the Axe-Fx. It's not even that hard... I still haven't found a way to use my FCB1010 EXP pedals with the Axe-Fx. That's the real problem if you ask me.

Do you think the UnO firmware chip for the FCB1010 addresses this issue? I just bought an Uno chip from a fellow forum member. Should have it in a week or so. Just got my FCB today. Get the rack bag and power amp tomorrow and then on Thursday the AXE arrives!! Should be a fun weekend.

MusicManJP6 said:
Do you think the UnO firmware chip for the FCB1010 addresses this issue? I just bought an Uno chip from a fellow forum member. Should have it in a week or so. Just got my FCB today. Get the rack bag and power amp tomorrow and then on Thursday the AXE arrives!! Should be a fun weekend.

Seems like guys with UnO have no problems with the EXP pedals so I must say yes. :) Would love to know how to do it with a regular FCB. (btw. I'm mastermikko from jpforums...)

Clark Kent said:
MusicManJP6 said:

Seems like guys with UnO have no problems with the EXP pedals so I must say yes. :) Would love to know how to do it with a regular FCB. (btw. I'm mastermikko from jpforums...)

Oh, hey man! Small internet world. :lol:

Have you looked into the UnO? It looks easy to install. No soldering!

http://www.ossandust.be/

Check out the support page for instructions on installing...

MusicManJP6 said:
Oh, hey man! Small internet world. :lol:

Have you looked into the UnO? It looks easy to install. No soldering!

http://www.ossandust.be/

Check out the support page for instructions on installing...

Yeah, the internet world is small but Mesa guys selling their gear to get an Axe-Fx isn't too rare right? :lol:

I always thought I couldn't get the UnO here in Finland but I guess I was wrong. Thanks for the url... I'm gonna check that out.

Clark Kent said:
MusicManJP6 said:

What is the problem?

I just plugged a stock FCB1010 into my axe, set the midi channel in both devices, assigned the CCs in the IO CTRL menu for external 1 and 2 and the same CCs in the FCB1010 (that is the trickiest part, you don't get a nice menu like in the axefx).

I didn't do anything special at all, just the same thing i would have done with any midi controller.

Back
Top Bottom