Hot but quiet, quacky Strat pickup replacement ideas.

Not quite that simple Stratman but a viable option. The only compromise I could pull off is accepting noise. My presets are pre-programmed MIDI to a back track in a hybrid band. Unless I come in at the same volume my ability to play 'whichever' guitar 'whenever' is eliminated. Outside of more switches or boost boxes.

I wasn't talking about compromising with the volume - I meant the quack. As stated above-Lindy Fralin Vintage Hots and Blues Specials are pretty high output-Also IMHO one of the best Fender pickups replacements ever-well actually it's not just my opinion-google them. You get the quack and the shimmering clean-but of course they aren't noiseless. Not bad in 2 and 4 though-I record with them right in front of my monitors and no noise.

good luck with your search- I have no doubt you will get what you need and be very content :)

Reactions: mwd
Duckbuckers are pretty quacky. I have two guitars with them and I like them. Nothing is as quacky as a single coil but these are the closest I've found.

Reactions: mwd
Nice guitar! Love the finish. Custom?

Previous band mate built this guitar from components. Used the best available. Still cost him a pretty penny but this rig was sweet. I think the body was a Warmouth (?) and obviously the trem was Babicz. At the time I got to play it we were rockin'. I remember it being no noise and hot output but I never tried it in a quacky mode or manner. Still it was one of the nicest guitars I have played in my life. He spent a shade over 1200 bucks in components.

Thank you folks for all the suggestions.

How about Joe Barden's?

I have a set in one of my teles and love them ... You can get stray versions and They do a hotter modern version now I believe, but I have not tried the modern ones personally.

Edit: sorry actuall looking again the modern version is only for teles and not strata

I've never played Kinman strat singles, but I can attest to the quality of their P90's. Amazing.

But I bought a set of Zexcoils and they're frickin' amazing. Some of the best pickups I've ever heard let alone the best noiseless single coil style ones I've come across.

The thing is that most of the noiseless ones are starting out with a disadvantage because they're almost all based on a humbucker type of design whether it's a sidewinder, stacked or two mini coils. That is going to effect the highs no matter what you do. Zexoils are six individual coils (one for each pole) and whatever the reasoning behind it working....well it just does.

He starts playing around the 5 minute mark.

I recently installed a set of Fishman Fluence pickups in my Carvin Bolt-T and I absolutely love them. They have 2 voicings: a classic 50's single coil sounds (lower output) and a higher output overwound sound. They're very versatile. And Sigler music sells them already installed in a pick guard, wiring already done. They do require a battery. The higher output setting might be what you're looking for, and for the occasion you want a more classic Strat sound, that's there too.

Also, the pickups are VERY quiet. No single noise hum at all.

Last edited:
+1 on the Duckbuckers. Used a set several years back & they were the closest thing to a true Strat sound I could get in a humbucking pickup. Considered to be vintage output according to the SD page.

I have two strats with Kinmans and one with the Zexcoils. IMO, the Kinmans are much more of a single coil sound. I even swapped the faceplates (w/ PU's attached) to make sure it wasn't the guitar. It wasn't. I've had the Kinmans for over ten years. Love 'em.
Now that I think of it, the Zexcoils faceplate is in a plastic bag in my cave closet.

second the zexcoil comments above, best noiseless I have tried, replaced my vintage rails (which I used more for than 10 years).
Have not heard Kinmans though, I have their P90s, and these are great.

I've got a Blade with Fender Vintage Noiseless (SCNs) and the Clapton mid boost kit and TBX tone control - very hot when boost turned up, Too hot when opened up full in fact!

I like to be able to have the more traditional Fender sound or a boosted hot output with the turn of a knob ..... but when boosted it's not going to 'quack' as nicely as when not boosted.

I've a HSS type with DiMarzios (Transition in bridge, Area 67 in middle and Injector in neck) pretty hot and can still get quite 'quackish'. A SSS set of Areas might get you hot enough

I think a switch in/out active boost that has internal BMT trim pots is probably a good idea to have on a strat to boost it on demand but could mean guitar surgery needed to fit.

I have a guitar with 3 SD P90s and I am toying with the idea of swapping the middle pickup for something with more quack. But I have no idea where to start, because I am not sure if I can drop a single coil into the P90 cavity, etc. without having a lot of work done on the guitar (which I don't want). Anyone got any experience that might be useful for me? Cheers.

I have Kinman's in my strat right now.

You do lose the 2/4 position quack I'm afraid.

But other than that, they are stellar. Really nice vintage vibe and virtually no noise. Even under brutal environments.
I have Kinman's in the NECK and MIDDLE. A Seymor Duncan HB with a half tap. Chimey like the original, a little noisy, but tolerable when I'm playing.Feeds back around 5k if I face my cabinet though ;( The Kinmans are plenty hot, quiet and "glassy" sounding. The SD humbucker does not have the brightness until I half tap the back coil out (center pot pull switch)

I haven't tried all pickups available. I'm more of a "if it works don't fiddle" type of a guy. That being said I'm really happy with the Suhr V60LP pickups I have in my Strat and I have no plans to get rid of them. They're not noiseless. I actually got a bit scared about the noiseless thing after reading how it works. It might be sucking away some mojo no matter what and truthfully I'm not going to use that much gain on a strat for that to become a problem for me. Here's my going through some tones with those pickups:

Kinman's have the mojo and no noise.

For me it's more about interference from outside the guitar not really high gain. Regular single coil pickups don't play well with juke joints and dives. You end up facing a weird direction to kill the noise from your guitar lol

Kinman's have the mojo and no noise.

For me it's more about interference from outside the guitar not really high gain. Regular single coil pickups don't play well with juke joints and dives. You end up facing a weird direction to kill the noise from your guitar lol
Haven't tried them but I'm interested. I must admit that when I'm not playing I usually switch to position 2. A quick work-around.

Back
Top Bottom