Horizon Precision Drive removing gain?

MackieFX

Experienced
I tried out this in the drive blocks before the amp and I think I'm doing something wrong.

I have all dials at noon except for drive which is at zero.

When I activate the pedal it seems like it's removing gain from the amp. Like a lot of it.

I'll post some recordings in a few days when I'm home but maybe someone else has seen this too?

Turn the Drive up then. What do you expect to happen with the gain all the way down?

I I expected it to act like an input boost and drive the amp a bit harder even with the drive on the pedal at 0. Perhaps I've mistaken what the controls do or my ears are perceiveing the tonal difference weird.

I saw a guide with bulb on one of Yeks threads and he said to start on 0.

I'll do some more testing. Thanks 😊

I saw a guide with bulb on one of Yeks threads and he said to start on 0.

That's a quote from the pedal's manual. It says to start at zero, and turn it up from there. Which is a very common method to dial in stuff because you''ll hear the sound change.

That's a quote from the pedal's manual. It says to start at zero, and turn it up from there. Which is a very common method to dial in stuff because you''ll hear the sound change.
Oh hello! I love your amp guide!

Thanks for this 🙂

On some pedals turning the gain knob all the way down actually mutes the signal, since the axe also models controls behavior I assume the real pedal does this too.

If all the dials are at noon, then you can also turn up the Level knob to get more signal w/out more drive.

A common trick is indeed to put a drive pedal in front of a high gain amp, with the drive turned way down, but in turn crank the pedal output level to max. So the pedal does not add its own drive, but the higher output level drives the amp harder. Most of all this is done because drive pedals have limited frequency response, so what happens is that while the amp is driven harder, it cleans up the bottom end and rolls of the highs a bit. Very typical cases: Tube Screamer into Recto, EVH or ENGL amp. The amp sounds more pleasant that way. That's probably using the pedal completely different from its original intention - it does not add its own drive, but works as an input EQ / filter + amp input boost.

As I owned the original it normally don’t remove gain even at zero . But it kills some bass . I found it very bright in the axe , so I turn down some treble in the pedal section . I use it sometimes but I prefer the od808 . With the ds1 you can have an interesting boost too

Back
Top Bottom