Honest Thoughts On Axe-Fx III, II and AX8?

One thing I failed to mention. I bought the naked amp pack from @austinbuddy when I had my XL+. I have been using one of his patches from that pack ever since. Totally worth the $$$ for tweaked and leveled amps. The patch was ported over to the III. I then accidentally pointed the cab block to a @fremen IR that was loaded from one of his preset packs. End result is a great sound that I would not have come up with on my own. That makes a big difference as these guys know what they are doing. I do not. ;).

Thanks for the shout out, and yes, that is the power of Axe III - getting 2048 new cab options!

When we make presets for commercial use, we tend to stick with factory cabs because everyone has those/common platform and we can't include someone's commercial IRs even if they sound better. Fremen has Hiwatt M160 cab IR I just love for example.

But as I design some extra presets for various Diezel amps on the Axe III (for a forthcoming 1000+ Naked Amps TonePack for the III later this summer) and can access some actual Diezel factory cabs - BIG positive difference, sounds much better than the still already good sounding ones on the AX8/Axe-Fx in the TonePack.

Experimenting with all the new cab choice is definitely the way to go in the Axe III!

What are your thoughts on Choptones vs Sinmix preset packs?

I have never heard them so can’t say. They may be awesome, look at threads in the preset section, Probably some reviews on forum. Singtall also makes presets, Glen deLaune... some of this will depend on what music you want to play and your gear...

I'm not necessarily trying to ignore you. I just don't want to revisit that B.S. all over again.
Well, that was kinda my point, you can put an end to the BS by sharing the said clips/videos, or else you've just helped prolong it. :/

Glad the other parts of the discussion have been helpful for you though, cheers.

I'd like to take off my employee hat for a moment and speak as a guitarist of 38 years.

There is no comparison for me. I won't gig with anything except the III, even though it means carrying extra equipment around in comparison to the AX8 I was using. The AX8 sounds almost as good as the II. The III sounds way better to me.

All of these qualitative terms like "organic" "crisp" etc. don't mean a thing when you sit and play it. It's just better in a way you can hear and feel.

Would you be willing to share the rig that "gets you there" with the III, Please???
I'm considering switching from the AX8 for live, yet not quite sure the best way to use it.
It would be a great help Big M, thanks!!

Especially for those of us who travel to play, the AX8 has been a godsend...maybe a firmware update will help, yet I can't imagine the AX8, as it is, having the horsepower to support too much more than it has now. This is a dilemma for me, portability.
Thanks again M

I have a Axe 3 and bought it just because of the horsepower and Cliff always being on a mission to stay ahead of the game. I can load up a whole line and still have 40 percent left to add. So do the math. Cliff can now use bigger algorithms to make all sounds better. I am sure there are short cuts on the Axe 2 to keep the unit from maxing out on algorithms. Who ever said less is more is full of it. More is more. I am not talking about over saturating tone, just that you can make amps and effects better with bigger algorithms. In the future you will be able to do custom harmonies per presets instead of 32 global presets. Reverbs have better clarity and smoother tails, Wow and flutter, tape overdrive and greater detail on delays, maybe a sustainer added, and improve every amp and effect in the whole unit because you can write huge algorithms. I can see more effect instances of per preset coming. 16 Scenes, 16 channels. Now this is just me speculating, but you get the idea. The Axe 2 can not have the same algorithms as the Axe 3 when the algorithms start getting bigger because it does not have the processing power. The Axe 3 is 20 percent or more better that the 2 now. That will drastically change in just 6 months.There is only one option, buy a 3. Only buy a 2 if you can't afford a 3. It is that simple.

Would you be willing to share the rig that "gets you there" with the III, Please???
I'm considering switching from the AX8 for live, yet not quite sure the best way to use it.
It would be a great help Big M, thanks!!

Especially for those of us who travel to play, the AX8 has been a godsend...maybe a firmware update will help, yet I can't imagine the AX8, as it is, having the horsepower to support too much more than it has now. This is a dilemma for me, portability.
Thanks again M

I played at church with the AX8 and toured with the Axe2, and now that I own the Axe3, I'm DONE..... Its just THAT MUCH BETTER!

I just finished my new touring rig, you can see it here..... https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/post-your-axe-fx-iii-rigs-here.136754/page-8 Post #153

I fly with a 4 space SKB case on wheels, my new Axe3, Matrix GT1000FX-1U in front. Shure PSM900, Shure GLXD4R and Furman SS-6B in back. Aluminum mount for the PSM900 antenna, completed with all 10" angled Mogami cables. 49.5 pounds and ready to fly!

Nothing compares to the Axe3 for my needs. I literally have the kitchen sink in my main preset and I am running about 84%. I run OUT1 to the backline of rented Marshall cabs, OUT2 to FOH, and OUT4 to my IEM'S. My IEM's are Ambient Ears that I run straight from OUt4 of the Axe3. With the Ambient Ears I can still hear everyone on stage while having complete control of my own volume. I never have to worry about any sound man getting me my "mix", cuz it's ALL me. It's simply perfect.......

Attachments

• Axe3.png
    Axe3.png
    245.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Don't make me pull this car over...

Lol. This to me pretty much sums up my feelings across most forums. We argue the minutiae details when in all reality we are VERY lucky/blessed to live in a location and time where we not only have products like the ll, the lll, heck even my ultra, but can afford to afford these luxury items. Sure, discuss the gear, opions and differences but do so civilly and rationally.

l was given a chance to upgrade from my ultra and own the lll a month ago but couldn't due to recent economics. Thats why these threads are great to read minus the bickering. Lol

Well, that was kinda my point, you can put an end to the BS by sharing the said clips/videos, or else you've just helped prolong it. :/

Glad the other parts of the discussion have been helpful for you though, cheers.

Here's a better idea, go on youtube and do a search for "axe fx vs III" or "ax8 vs III" or some other combination thereof and listen for yourself - loud enough and with a good set of speakers. Then come back and tell me that you could not go onto youtube and find a damned thing that would give you any idea of how they'd compare. If that's your takeaway from it, then explain why because I'd love to hear it. I'm not going to sit here and rehash the whole debate as this thread has already moved on to a much more positive and relevant discussion. It doesn't matter because I've done my research, heard what I heard, and made my assessment on what is available to me. All posting links is going to do is open a whole can of worms and it's not worth my time. If you want to take this discussion to private messaging, then I'd be happy to give you some examples. However, I'm a busy man with a professional career and don't like to waste time with things that will get me nowhere.

As I stated, it's not that I want to ignore you. I just don't have any interest in pursuing and argument about that. I just started this thread to get some feedback, stimulate some discussion, and confirm a few things.

I played at church with the AX8 and toured with the Axe2, and now that I own the Axe3, I'm DONE..... Its just THAT MUCH BETTER!

I just finished my new touring rig, you can see it here..... https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/post-your-axe-fx-iii-rigs-here.136754/page-8 Post #153

I fly with a 4 space SKB case on wheels, my new Axe3, Matrix GT1000FX-1U in front. Shure PSM900, Shure GLXD4R and Furman SS-6B in back. Aluminum mount for the PSM900 antenna, completed with all 10" angled Mogami cables. 49.5 pounds and ready to fly!

Nothing compares to the Axe3 for my needs. I literally have the kitchen sink in my main preset and I am running about 84%. I have updated the preset since this pic and will repost tomorrow. I run OUT1 to the backline of rented Marshall cabs, OUT2 to FOH, and OUT4 to my IEM'S. My IEM's are Ambient Ears that I run straight from OUt4 of the Axe3. With the Ambient Ears I can still hear everyone on stage while having complete control of my own volume. I never have to worry about any sound man getting me my "mix", cuz it's ALL me. It's simply perfect.......

View attachment 47352

Thanks for sharing that man.

Here's a better idea, go on youtube and do a search for "axe fx vs III" or "ax8 vs III" or some other combination thereof and listen for yourself - loud enough and with a good set of speakers. Then come back and tell me that you could not go onto youtube and find a damned thing that would give you any idea of how they'd compare. If that's your takeaway from it, then explain why because I'd love to hear it.
Here's a better idea... post a comparison clip and point to a specific passage "1:24 - 2:40" or something of the sort, so people have actual things to discuss on what you're hearing.

I'm not going to go digging through all of the Youtube videos on Axe Fx III for where you might be hearing what you're hearing, no thank you. Surely you understand as a busy man with a professional career who doesn't like to waste time. ;)
It doesn't matter because I've done my research, heard what I heard, and made my assessment on what is available to me. All posting links is going to do is open a whole can of worms and it's not worth my time. If you want to take this discussion to private messaging, then I'd be happy to give you some examples.
Seems like you already have your mind made... but I think posting links would help you be more informed whether the things you hear are representative of the unit or not.

Sure, please PM me and give me some examples.

Last edited:
Here's a better idea... post a comparison clip and point to a specific passage "1:24 - 2:40" or something of the sort, so people have actual things to discuss on what you're hearing.

I'm not going to go digging through all of the Youtube videos on Axe Fx III for where you might be hearing what you're hearing, no thank you. Surely you understand as a busy man with a professional career who doesn't like to waste time. ;)

Seems like you already have your mind made... but I think posting links would help you be more informed whether the things you hear are representative of the unit or not.

Sure, please PM me and give me some examples.

I'll do that when you prove that you're worth my time.

I really would love to see a test where you give a muso a guitar and ask him play a riff and then switch between the 8 and the III Behind a screen and see if the difference is picked up.

I sold my AX8 after a day with the III. It is the best sound I've ever had - and I've had some nice stuff. I love the routing options - I'm currently running three signal paths with a total of 24 blocks on one of my patches. One - cab-emulated dry signal. One cab-emulated stereo wet signal. One dry non-cab-emulated signal to power amp/1x12. It is insane how good it sounds. I was happy with it out of the box - then the recent firware update came out .....even better. Get the AIII.

View attachment 47266
Wow I haven't even really looked that much into the capabilities of the 3 because I know if I start looking at it too much I will be forced to buy one and I am still finding new sounds and learning with my Axe fx 2. You really got to me talking about the sound and for me that's what this is really all about. Not just to have the best sounding recordings but for myself when I am playing. Nothing is more inspiring. Damn, I have to stop lol. I might have to change my mind and get one.

I had a II for about a year before I got an Fm3. With the II I spent a lot of time eqing to get the sound I wanted. An awesome device once dialed in though.
As soon as I plugged into the Fm3, there it was, with virtually no tweaking, Badass tone!
Its head and shoulders above the II in tone and feel imo.
I play through a power station and cab and haven't gone the FRFR route yet.

Back
Top Bottom