Homemade 9V Power Out for pedals on FM3

jaza69

Inspired
I used a DC-DC 3-40V LM2596 Adjustable Step-Down Power Supply Module Voltage Regulator which I tapped into the FM3's 15V Power supply output wires, then adjusted the voltage to 9V. Installed the board on an existing brass standoff inside FM3 using isolated washer. and connected to a DC Power Supply Jack Socket Female Panel Mount Connector 5.5X2.1mm - wired centre negative (accepts standard Boss pedal jack)

The FM3 Power Supply has enough overhead power to handle this. The FM3 Uses less than 15W, I think. The FM3 Power Supply is rated at 40W.

This DC-DC board can reliably handle up to 2A (it's rated at 3A max - not recommended!) My recommendation is 500mA @9V, It is "stealing" approximately 4.5W from FM3 which I think is a reasonable amount to keep the FM3 and the DC-DC board happy.

Here it is working:
Tuesday at 12:39 AM

IMG_6116_ Back.JPG

IMG_4059 _2.JPG

Last edited:
And there is no supply voltage on the FasLink II connectors? After all, they must be powered FC6 / FC12 in some way. Everything goes with one XLR cable that has three wires. So I would suspect that the first is a common ground, the second is the power supply (and hence you could try to take the power to the 9V effects / voltage regulator), the third wire is probably a bidirectional signal for a digital serial link.
If the FasLInk link is used, it would be possible to draw power without burying the FM3 in and drilling holes, and it would not void the warranty

I used a DC-DC 3-40V LM2596 Adjustable Step-Down Power Supply Module Voltage Regulator which I tapped to the output of FM3 15V Power supply output wires, then adjusted the voltage to 9V. Installed on an existing brass standoff inside FM3.
The FM3 Power Supply has enough overhead power to handle this. The FM3 Uses less than 15W , I think, and the Poor Supply is rated at 40W, Still work in progress - more testing needed.

View attachment 72158

View attachment 72159
Beautiful mod. Thanks for sharing

oh this is lovely.
I might do something similar someday, just to power my Wireless units, maybe even my backtrack device lol. It's simply a much cleaner solution than to use their own power adapters and etc...
But, I think, a better idea is to use the FASLINK output, as that doesn't require drilling holes into the FM3 and losing the warranty.
If there was a step by step guide on how to do that exactly, that would be great.
Or even better: Official, risk free, adapters, that turn FASLINK to pedal power 9V or 12V...

Last edited:
Nice work. Looks tight. Ballzy move as well. But I think I'll just stick to my 1-spot to power my wireless....

Nice!

(I built a 9V regulator into an XLR connector, stealing 12V from the FASlink for my misi baby :-D. Wasn't brave enough to open the FM3 myself, but looks like your solution that might be a little cleaner in the long run.

I’m actually interested in this warranty-safe method rather than the OP, can you share info on the type of regulator you used?

.... I built a 9V regulator into an XLR connector, stealing 12V from the FASlink .....

Thanks for the idea. Never thought about the power from the FASlink connector. Now I'm using that to power my Morningstar MC6 - no voltage regulator required as the MC6 can handle 12V through the 7 pin MIDI phantom power.

Back
Top Bottom