Home practice without AX???

Habuman

Power User
So when you are at home and decide not to plug into your AX (huh), what is your go to piece of gear?

I always use my BOSS eBand JS-10. Great little of piece of gear to jam/practice on. It is the only piece of gear that I kept after getting the AX8.

I just bought the Boss GT-1, works on batteries, small and light, bring it on my travels and could even plug it into an amp for a small band jam/gig... but no, at home my AXE-FX is on 24/7 pretty much ;)

The Boss GT-1 is a nice piece of gear. Yeah, the AX8 is on all the time but sometimes late at night I grab the BOSS JS-10 when watching TV.

I do a fair amount of practice not plugged into anything. If all my gear's packed up and ready to go to a gig, I'll often spend an hour or so running through the set list unamplified, mostly as a refresher on where songs or solos starts. Other times, I'll plug directly into the little 4 channel Mackie mixer on my desk and run through my little M-Audio desk speakers.

I estimate- lets say i'm 32 now- been playing since i was 13/14- 14-18 i probably put in 8 hours a day every day- the best I've ever was around 21/22 (gave up shreddy nonsense for making music)

I would say 80-90% of any moment I've ever played guitar- is with an electric guitar UNPLUGGED

The last lets say 3-5 years- I might plug in my jazz chorus combo- once in a while- but when it's plugged in the last lets say 5 years it's been Axe Fx-

I haven't turned on my main mesa amp in maybe 4 years- my jcm800 i've put 2 hours of playing time in 2 years

BUT- my point is- I've played a lot more electric unplugged then plugged in over the years- recording is different, but it took a lot of practice to get to the recording, or playing/gigging/etc- but I like guitars unplugged- I can hear it fine- I know what it will sound like later- I can dial in anything in my head- and they sound good to me that way

Also as a shy guy, I could play the guitar any time in a house with people and not bother anybody. Many times, in my younger years, I’d come home late from a gig, or concert or other and be inspired. I’d play Guitar at 2 am for an hour. Unplugged.

I practice unplugged. Sometimes I use the clean channel of my practice amp (Orange RT35 Crush). At this point, I'm just trying to keep the fingers moving.

Blackstar Fly 3
Blackstar ID:Core 40
Fender Frontman 10G (Seriously, lol. I bought it as a joke stage prop but I do play it once in a while)
Unplugged classical

I just picked up a Yamaha THR10X and couldn't be happier with this little beast. It inspires me to practice a lot which is what I was after. Tones are quite impressive...great small footprint

My pick is Atomic Ampli-Firebox :) Excellent value and amp modeling. I've always loved Atomic products and after the Ampli-firebox was released, I bought one.

Here is a pic of my Ampli-Firebox rig:
154960.jpg

Back
Top Bottom