holdsworth cover - the sixteen men of tain

andyvicius

Inspired
holdsworth cover - the sixteen men of tain(patch included)

hello guys. here's my attempt of playing this beautiful tune by allan, definitly one of my favs tunes of him.

i'm happy with the lead tone i got... not so much with the clean tone.... but it didn't put that much effort on the clean one.

hope you dig my version. regards!

ps: watch in HD for better sound!

here are the patchs i used. they are based on some presets made by simeon(i think). i did some tweaking.
for the clean sound, i used the bridge/middle pickup combination.
for the lead, i used the bridge pickup(seymour duncan 59). i turn the volume and tone knob on the guitar down a little bit. the input knob on the axe fx was set at 10 o`clock(really low). i did that to try to emulate allans low gain pickups.

View attachment Holdsworth Lead post 3.syx
View attachment allan clean 4(2).syx

Last edited:
That was fun to hear! You have a really different technique and feel than Allan does but you're still playing pretty much exactly the same notes. I know it's not easy to play, I transcribed this solo as well a couple of years ago. And nice contrast with the Pantera shirt haha ;)

well done, very nice!

did you try the multidelay effect blocks i posted in the giant effects thread? there's a pair for clean and a pair for lead in there, based on Allan's UD Stomp settings - might be worth a try. i find you lead patch a little bit nasally, due to the early reflections/delays you have set up.

also - try raising the sag and lowering the B+cap slightly on your lead patch if you haven't already...it'll make it a bit more "spongy' and give it more bloom

really well done though...i wish i had the patience to learn some of his stuff note for note!

sim

Great job! What kind of guitar is that? Does it have variax hardware in it? If so...are you using the modelling in the guitar?

Great job! What kind of guitar is that? Does it have variax hardware in it? If so...are you using the modelling in the guitar?

thanks! the guitar was made by a luthier called diego serra(here in argentina). yes, it has a variax 700 transplant. nope, i wasn't using the variax on this vid. just the bridge pickup for the lead tone(seymour duncan 59) and middle/bridge combination for the cleans.

Great job!

I'm a huge fan of Allan Holdsworth. So good to hear others out here covering his material.

thanks a lot!

wow, that was incredible. i dig the clean tone as well. great job holmes.

thanks travis.

well done, very nice!

did you try the multidelay effect blocks i posted in the giant effects thread? there's a pair for clean and a pair for lead in there, based on Allan's UD Stomp settings - might be worth a try. i find you lead patch a little bit nasally, due to the early reflections/delays you have set up.

also - try raising the sag and lowering the B+cap slightly on your lead patch if you haven't already...it'll make it a bit more "spongy' and give it more bloom

really well done though...i wish i had the patience to learn some of his stuff note for note!

sim

thanks for the advice on the tone simeon... will try those patches! thanks a lot for your comment!

That was fun to hear! You have a really different technique and feel than Allan does but you're still playing pretty much exactly the same notes. I know it's not easy to play, I transcribed this solo as well a couple of years ago. And nice contrast with the Pantera shirt haha ;)

thanks mate! and yes, there is a little bit of a contrast there with pantera hehe... dimebag was the man!

Wow.....great! :)

cheers
Paco

thanks paco!

Really well done. I really liked your clean tone. Did you learn this piece by ear?

thanks a lot dolphin... yes, most of the solo i got it by ear (using transcribe software to slow things down)

then i got the chords from a guy called jeremy poparad who post some transcriptions on his web, google him!

and 2 o 3 licks from the solo appeared on guitar techniques magazine(april 2007 issue).

Back
Top Bottom