Hiss/white noise after palm mutes

RevDrucifer

Fractal Fanatic
This issue just popped up tonight. I've had my III for just over a year and have been so thrilled with it that I still don't shut up about it.

I've searched this issue and found several threads on it, but none seem to fit the problem to a T. This just started this evening. No changes have been made in my studio. It doesn't matter what I do with the noise gates or how many I put. It's on all hi-gain patches. On multiple guitars. Front and back inputs. Guitars are tickling the red as normal. AxeFX is running into my Mac via USB, with output 1 feeding the mixer that feeds the studio monitors. Like I said, nothing has changed in here for quite a while and I've had no issues. It's not normal amp hiss, that's for sure.

I've been mainly playing chugga chugga stuff and have been recording this entire last year, I certainly would have noticed this before.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

That noise sounds like super high-gain noise floor to me. Sounds like a compressor release and the noise floor comes up, then the noise gate kicks in at the end. I'd turn off all gates and compressors and compare different outputs, USB, Out1, fiddle with the gain settings, etc.

Do you have active pickups? Could it be the battery going bad in the guitar?

What are your noise gate settings (if any)?

Fresh battery in the guitar, but it's also happening with all my passive guitars as well.

I've run the gamut of noise gate settings on both the input block and the downward expander; before the amp, after the amp/before the cab, after the cab. I've tried making new presets from scratch, tried adjusting my input levels, turned off every light in the house, unplugged everything but my monitors, computer, AxefX and mixer....different cables...

Input block noise gate? Look at the release time. Does it sound the same as the decay of that noise?

The noise gate catches it early on then doesn't... the question is why is the noise there in the first place, that is not a heavily distorted sound

The preset in the clip is Dual Marshally shit....I may be using paid-for cabs in these, so be sure to check that.

The other one is my main preset, which uses even less gain (unless I turn the drives on). Same issue across the board.

I thank everyone for their input and time!!!

Attachments

• Dual Marshally Shit.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Freidma Cockin Bawlz.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 4
I was just having the exact same issue the other day, it was driving me crazy. For some reason I tried switching the input noise gate from intelligent to classic and that completely fixed it. Not sure what exactly is happening to cause that noise, but give that a try.

I was just having the exact same issue the other day, it was driving me crazy. For some reason I tried switching the input noise gate from intelligent to classic and that completely fixed it. Not sure what exactly is happening to cause that noise, but give that a try.
I’ve done this to get rid of that same type of noise too

Reactions: J.C

As soon as I get home for my lunch break I’ll give this a shot! Thanks!

That is a noise gate for sure. No way a guitar can get so silent with that much gain. What you hear is the gate (expander, whatever) closing.

Same for me, I switched from the intelligent to the classic input gate and that got rid of those little end trail noises with high gain presets.

With your first preset I couldn't replicate that tail with my setup (med gain HB guitar).

For some reason the Input 1 channel B has input imped at 90K.

That definitely helped a bit, but I'm still getting this sshhhhh sound after a palm mute. This was recorded with the input gate set to Classic with a downward expander gate between the amp and cab block.

I certainly appreciate all the comments, guys! yyz, I'm not sure how that could have happened....maybe I was drunk editing one night?

Back
Top Bottom