Hiss on AX8 out of the box with every preset

Elnico50

Just got my AX8.... sounds great live.... but I have hiss on every preset, especially noticeable on recording.

I have set the input pad to 0, adjusted the level as high as it can go, and set the noise gate at the lowest db threshold possible.

However, the hiss is apparent even when the strings are ringing so that takes the noise gate out of the question.

This is the sound of a direct guitar into my interface via XLR out (Avid Fast Track Solo) , with no effects....no hiss.......the next two sounds with the hiss are the AX8 patches Double Verb and Top Boost in that order..... the hiss is there on EVERY preset on the unit

Surely this isn't normal or there must be a way to fix this?

Last edited:
What are you running your Out 1 knob at? It is an attenuator, so all the way up means the cleanest signal to noise ratio. You can run it cranked into a +4 dBu line-level Input and have better success than running it low and turning up the mic preamp on your interface.

Also, FYI, threshold all the way down on a gate means it is off. The higher the threshold, the more gating action. It's opposite of a compressor.

If you have a chance, try a different interface. That Avid box only has a mic pre and a HiZ instrument in, so eliminating it as the source of the noise would be a good troubleshooting step.

Back
Top Bottom