High Quality Cable vs Economy Cable, The SRV Story

Thank you very much for the info @lwknives Moving the resonance frequency down 2Khz? 2000Hz? That sounds like a mile! So if my Duncan JB has resonance frequency of 2.6KHz, that cable will drop it down to 600Hz? I see the chart is for a single coil pickup with 250K pots, is it any different for a humbucker with 500K pots? There are two cables I am looking at specifically and maybe a third- Lava if anyone can suggest which one. The two are the Live Wire Elite which I don't know the tech info, and the Armor Gold; which if memory serves claim a medium-low capacitance at around 32pF per foot. They prefer that over a lower capacitance.

info@armorgoldcables.com

What about wireless systems? Do they have a capacitance other than the two 1.5ft cables needed for the body pack and receiver? How important are those cables? My wireless is 18 years old and VHF, does that make their capacitance higher? that is if they have any.

Well I guess I don't have to worry about 3 of my guitars, they're active :)

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to learn.

Last edited:
Chances are your old wireless does act as a compressor though, Squashing the signal, cutting some high and lows in order to transmit your signal. Which was one of the big selling points of the new digital wireless systems, no companding.

Chances are your old wireless does act as a compressor though, Squashing the signal, cutting some high and lows in order to transmit your signal.

Hmm, something to consider, I'll have to see if I can tell the difference. I know it clips on a firmly plucked G string :p, and this is after I turned the transmitter gain all the way down. My old one didn't do that. wth?

What's your take on the Armor Gold Cables? Or the LW Elite?

I really like George L cables - http://www.georgelsstore.com/

I did an extremely unscientific comparison and found that George L cables were more open, with more clarity and high end. They use solder-less connectors, which is great. More than once I've clipped off the end and re-seated the 1/4 inch connector at a gig, repairing my cable in less than 5 minutes with wire clips and a jewelers screw driver. Plus they sound great, at least to my ears. They're worth a look, IMHO.

Scott

I install a buffer in my guitars, and then install a capacitor of my chosen value at the buffer's input. As a result, every cable I use sounds the same (not counting handling noise and induced EM noise), regardless of it's capacitance.

Without the buffer, cable capacitance makes a huge difference in high frequency response and resonance. I've never liked relying on a particular cable for my preferred tone.

Well, just pick one and go with it. Whatever you choose from this group will be a good one. To further confuse things, my Line 6 wireless allows switching capacitance to mimic whatever cable I prefer. It’s not that big a deal for me, too many other ways to dial in my tone.

What's your take on the Armor Gold Cables? Or the LW Elite?

You're asking the wrong dude here. I'm a cheap bastard, I just build my own cables with whatever wire is available from whatever webshop I use to order the neutrik jacks from.

Tone is really in the power cable though. There are some pretty affordable options available: https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collec...s/nordost-odin-2-supreme-reference-power-cord

Only $16,999.00 . . . that's a steal!! What I want to know is whose bought one of these and cut it open to see if they truly use (the following description is taken from the above listed website):

------------------------------------
The Odin 2 Power Cord is constructed with seven silver-plated, close tolerance, 14 AWG 99.999999% oxygen free copper conductors.

Nordost’s patented Dual Mono-Filament technology is then used so that the twisted pair filaments create a virtual air dielectric between the extruded FEP insulation and each individual conductor.

These intricately wound and separately insulated conductors are aligned with superb geometrical accuracy and consistency, offering perfect conditions for mechanical resonances.

To allow for a faster rise time in the 50/60 Hz cycle and negate any EMI or RFI influences, each conductor is then protected by a layer of silver-plated lapped ribbon shielding. Nordost’s TSC technology continues in the construction of its purpose-built, 100% shielded, HOLO: PLUG® connector, which is provided on both the IEC and plug ends.
------------------------------------

I want a HOLO: PLUG® connector. How much could it be? 2 - 3 grand? And worth every penny!

It would be so easy to go buy some cheap 14 gauge wire, put some white insulator on it and then sell it for $16,999.00. No one would ever lose their investment of $16,999.00 to tear it apart to see if they really even deliver what they claim. What a racket . . .

I just make my own, although I have tried other cables through the years I stick with the industry standards Canare GS-6 or Mogami 2425.
I usually put some sort of Neutrik jack on the cables (good jacks for sure but I pretty much do it for looks) want to go cheaper Switchcraft ends may not be as fancy, but they are just as good.
It is true all cables have a certain flavor to them, just pick one and roll with it.

Well @6L6C the Canare GS-6 and Mogami 2425 were exactly what I was looking at before I started this thread, then I google them to find te best price and it was over... I was sucked into the tone/capacitance ordeal and the first thing I saw was a guy an the gear page saying his ne Armor Gold Cable blows away his Mogami 2524. Naturally this peaked my interest so I researched Armor Gold and really like what I read, but $49 for a 10ft cable was a little more than I wanted to spend, now anyway. The Live Wire Elite seems promising, although peeps are complaining it tangles too easily, o_O. But it's a Guitar Center product, and can be returned easily... ;) I wonder if I can get it in Green Sparkle? :D:D

And that is where you failed. Nothing good EVER comes of The Gear Page. In the words of Monthy Python 'It's a silly place.' (and that's putting it mildly)

Gosh what a world you have to live in where everything fails or is not good. I almost pity you. ;) Do you even like the Axe Fx?

http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/Connector_Cable.htm

Difficult to find but.....
IMHO, Best cable ever. Still use same cable I made 8 years ago. Never failed me even with extreme abuse.

Thanks The REAL Knuckles, I'll be sure and check those out. I can't look them up on this browser I have to use my phone so, How much do they cost for a ten foot cable angle one end straight the other?

Edit: I checked out Bill's site, said April 7 2008 Price hike, I'm scared to see how many price hikes there's been since then! How much did you pay for yours? Any idea where I can get one?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom