High pitched "ping" sound when playing loud

As I said we tried recording the bass aswell and the sound was on the bass recording either. So it can't be the guitar. Still haven't solved this issue yet.

Try the same guitar with a tube amp or another modeler & if it doesn't happen then it's the Axe Fx, not the guitar.

Obvious stuff is to mute strings on headstock (GRUVGEAR Fret Wrap works great for this) and springs in tremolo. Maybe your pickups are microphonic (actually they all are to some extent). I'd also make sure that vibrations from guitar body are isolated from pickups. People for some reason like to install magnetic pickups stiff in body (putting wooden blocks or coins under pickups instead of some plastic foam or something similar) - this escalates pickups microphonic behaviour.

I think microphonic pickup is the most likely culprit. I just watched a "rig rundown with Keith Urban Guitar Tech" yesterday. He uses a piece of grey foam on one of Keith's guitars between the nut and the low E tuner, to prevent the strings from making those high "harp-type sounds". If you watch the video, you will notice that the stage is completely solid decking except for the floor upon which Keith stands at center stage. His floor is metal grating and he has his monitors, complete with subs, pointing directly up at him...meaning, insane volume and chance for sympathetic feedback on anything on this guitars that can vibrate. I quoted one of the respondants because of one thing I had to do one time - I had to remove the springs on the pickup adjustment screws, and replace the springs with surgical tubing, because it was those springs that were creating trace artifacts of high pitched nonsense.

Good luck trouble-shooting your issue and finding it. I don't think it is your Fractal. If you are using a tube amp, those can produce high pitched sounds when the tubes are failing or if they are brand new, but did not get manufactured with tight tolerances and quality control. It is very frustrating - I've been there a few times.

The best advice, is to try a different guitar of yours or a friends' and see if it goes away. Make sure you try this in exactly the same conditions - same room, same volume. I say "the same room" because I've had people go nuts about "a buzzing sound" only to find out it was a window rattling every time they hit "that note", meaning, there could be something in the room where you practice that vibrates everytime you hit an A flat, or whatever. Just a suggestion.

Thanks

Very unlikely, isnt it?
But I'll try it anyway, maybe I missed something there, thanks!

Hmm.
I've worked in guitar shops for years and unfortunately there are many guitars new off the line that have microphonic pickups. Of course, cheaper brands are more apt to see this issue, but it's certainly possible.
Again, if you can talk into your guitar at these high gains and it acts like a cheap microphone, this is microphonic.
Some pickups become microphonic from the dipped wax breaking loose which causes the loose elements to act like a microphone.

If you hear it but it's not on the recording, then it's something in the environment. It's very unlikely that it's being lost in the MP3 process. It could be something in the speakers.

So im basicly back to where i started... :/

Could it be a ground issue? How do grounding problems affect the sound? Is a "ping" type of sound possible with that?

I'll try, but I can't say for sure that it works; as I said, the noise is not there on the recording after saving.

I would move to a different room if possible.

It might be a mechanical noise from something in the room or a light fixture etc.

Use an external audio recorder to catch the sound in the environment. Like Cliff said it could be the speaker reacting to hi frequencies. My FBT did that till I added some hi frequency cut to tame it.

Turns out this problem was actually two problems, which explains the weird behaviour.

The high pitched ping sound on recordings that vanished after converting the sound files was a grounding issue in the rehearsal room. When I took the file and played it at home, the sound was gone.

However, the thing that troubled me more was the "ping" type of sound I heard only on specific patches. Turns out this was a nasty overtone of my guitar, which was also present when playing the guitar like an acoustic. I couldn't hear this sound on my high gain settings simply because the songs didn't involve the open B and E strings as much as my crunch patches.
I'm not sure how to fix it though. Changing the strings helped to reduce the unwanted sound, but the overtone is not fully gone yet.
I checked the tremolo, but all the screws were sitting tight. I also pressed the strings hard against the nut and pulled/released the strings on the bridge, but none of it helped.

On one of my guitars I have something like that and as others have said, it is the strings ringing between the nut and tuners. I use a small elastic hair band around the headstock and the ringing is gone.

On one of my guitars I have something like that and as others have said, it is the strings ringing between the nut and tuners. I use a small elastic hair band around the headstock and the ringing is gone.
Sounds like a stylish and simple solution. I'm gonna check it out!

Yes, had that too, one string that easily starts to sound on the headstock between tuners and bridge. And the solution is the same, I put any kind of rubber thing with contact to the string and the strange ping is gone.

Back
Top Bottom