High pitch squeal/feedback

rtcook

Experienced
I'm running a FRFR setup. I'm getting some high pitch squeal/feedback I can't seem to dial out through the Axe. The only way I can get it to quit is to roll back the volume. The guitar does not have a tone control. Only a volume and a 8.5k humbucker. No treble bleed either. It's also fully shielded. I don't like this solution. It affects the tone. I like it better wide open. This is a problem with high gain amps and using the boost on the Plexi. I have turned the level down and it does not really correct it. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Roger

this is generally a sign of a combination of..
too much gain and / or compression
with strong reverb settings
not a strong enough gate

My gain settings are all low (<4). I do not use any effects. My gate is working just fine. Anything else?

What kind of pickups are in the guitar/s? If you happen to have non wax potted (outside chance) pups welcome to your life.

So then wax potted pickups solve the problem?
If your pickups are not wax potted then what happens is over time the wires can rattle or vibrate causing microphonic feedback. If you are in the same room with the amp then it can be hairy to deal with. I've seen a number of You Tube videos on how to wax 'em up. Or you could buy some new pickups. I would probably try another guitar first to be sure it is your guitar that is the problem.

I'm going to try a bunch of my guitars with the patches and see what kind of results I get. This particular guitar is my go to guitar. I've set up my all my patches with this one. Then I wanted to see how they faired with my other guitars. Looks like the time has come to test them out.

Thanks for the replies. I will post back my results.

if you're using your wedges in front of you, pointing up at your body/face/guitar, it might be making the problem worse. try putting the wedges behind you and see if it makes a difference. but wax potting your pickup, or simply replacing the pickup with a better one will solve the problem

What FR monitor are you using? I previously had two atomic active cabs and noticed it had much more squeal to it than my current rcf. I'm guessing its due to the separate horn on the atomic. The rcf is coaxial and seems to get much more natural feedback than the atomics (not clr) in my opinion. Even at blistering volumes.

I had this problem with all my guitars when I was using a FRFR setup (RCF). The only thing that solved it for me was going back to regular guitar cabs and a rack amp.

this sounds like a microphonic pickup issue. I have high quality pickups and never have feedback issues on my rig. My friend came over to show me a guitar he picked up and I let him plug his "new" guitar into my system. It fedback uncontrollably.

Years ago, I had a pawn shop guitar and it had the most awesome sounding pickup I've ever had. If I used it in my dormroom, it was no problem. But I was jamming with a friend and during the pauses between songs, if I spoke, you could hear it through my rig! That is an extreme case of microphonic pickups! The diaphram inside a microphone is SUPPOSED to vibrating/wiggle/move when air passes into it. It converts those vibrations into sounds. However, the windings in your pickups are NOT supposed to vibrate. Your pickup is not supposed to move due to air passing by it. It is supposed to convert the electromagnetic energy that is created when steel strings vibrate in a magnetic field (your pickups). So, the guitar strings ARE supposed to vibrate, not the steel pickup windings. If you turn up an amp really loud and you don't mute your guitar strings, they will start to vibrate and cause intentional feedback - an awesome tool for guitarists! However, if you stop your strings from vibrating, and you STILL get feedback - that is a microphonic pickup. You can try to home remedy wax pot them, but if you are on this forum and own a Fractal of any generation, I would suggest you buy a new, better pickup. Stick with seymour duncan or dimarzio and you will never have to worry that you are buying a pickup from them that is microphonic.

Good luck

Are you using a wireless guitar unit? Probably a long shot but my akg wireless unit gets a horrible squeal when its racked next to my furman. For some reason when the two were touching the squeal was terrible. I separated them by one rack space and the squeal was gone.
Just thought I'd throw that out there.

hmm.... I'm not thinking in terms of issues as such..
more about differences...

some pups are potted, others not..
so there must be reasons for this..
or is feedback killing the only one?

Stereo EV ELX115P's

What FR monitor are you using? I previously had two atomic active cabs and noticed it had much more squeal to it than my current rcf. I'm guessing its due to the separate horn on the atomic. The rcf is coaxial and seems to get much more natural feedback than the atomics (not clr) in my opinion. Even at blistering volumes.

out of curiosity....
what are the tonal implications of potting the pups?

None for me. SD-1 and SD-4. I did not do a one to one comparison (before and after), but I was able to finally push the guitar and pups hard, so my first impression is 'much better', but it's not a fair judgement since I don't think I heard the character of the pups fully before I potted.

Back
Top Bottom