Hi-gain FRFR "amp in the room" fix

fuzznut

Axe-fx -> Yam DSR115. For high gain, I have been struggling to get at least some semblance of an "in the room" 4x12 sound. Went through a million IRs and no matter what, the sound isn't "right there". The highs always sound weird to me, and the midrange seems off in the distance. It doesn't sound "direct" enough. After thinking about the word "direct", the light bulb came on. Let's inject some direct in to the mix. So I paralleled a PEQ with the cab block, put 1 @ 200Hz blocking, 5 @ 3.5KHz blocking and... BAM!!!, instant in the room 4x12!!! The mids are in your face as they should be, the highs sound right, and I even get that guttural thump like a real 4x12! I have barely scratched the surface as the possibilities are endless with the mix ratios, playing with the 3 other bands in the PEQ, etc. Awesome!!!

sweet! how do you like those new yamaha speakers? i think they sound great and should finally give the qsc k series some competition.

So, is this what you did?

Picture8.png

chrisallen8888 said:
sweet! how do you like those new yamaha speakers? i think they sound great and should finally give the qsc k series some competition.

I love it! Wanted something that will shake the walls and boy does it deliver that in spades!

FractalAudio said:
That's exactly what the Air parameter does.

Haha, yes it's true, I never used it and had to look it up in the manual. The funniest part is that I chose by ear the same low pass frequency that Cliff stated in the manual! So essentially my use of the PEQ is the Air parameter, but with a lot more tweakability. Great!

fuzznut said:
Haha, yes it's true, I never used it and had to look it up in the manual. The funniest part is that I chose by ear the same low pass frequency that Cliff stated in the manual! So essentially my use of the PEQ is the Air parameter, but with a lot more tweakability. Great!
What manual are you looking at? Neither the manual that shipped with my Ultra, nor the latest soft copy I have found, mention the Air parameter.

Edit: I found it in the Wiki. Is there an up to date manual available in soft copy?

The latest manual doesn't list a few params.
Like AIR (Cab) and OFF VAL (Modifier).

I F---ing LOVE threads like this! (Please forgive the implied swearing, but I couldn't help it.) They give me something new for me to mess around with.

This is such a simple concept. But, so useful. Genius.

And, I never realized that this is what the "Air" parameter did in the cabinet block. Where the heck was I when this feature was added to the firmware? I think that I assumed that it did something else and I never experimented with it. "D'oh!" :oops:

Either way, thanks to everyone for sharing info here.

Clark Kent officially approves. :D I love this and I actually tried different settings and first I didn't use the highpass at all. I even had the lowpass at 4500hz but it was a bit too direct with higher volumes. 200hz and 3500hz are very ideal and I advice to use those. This coming from a guy who dislikes the AIR parameters...

Back
Top Bottom