help....

fsharpminor

Inspired
Having major problems with this fm3.... guitar player, not particularly computer savvy. First thing is I would like to be able to hold a footswitch and see the list of presets in the screen on the unit. I play for an artist who has a set of about 25 songs and i have to choose them at random as called. I can see a list like this if i use the page button on the home screen, but can seem to assign this function to a footswitch? Is this possible?

This is not something that you can currently do with a footswitch. One thing that would be pretty easy would be to use MANAGE PRESETS to arrange the presets into alphabetical order. (You can Drag and Drop). Then set up foot switches for NEXT and PREVIOUS so you can step right to the one you need.

Another thought: If you had an FC12 connected, you could show the presets ten at a time on the mini displays and still have room for BANK UP and BANK DOWN switches.

really? is it planned for the future? It makes the unit kind of unusable for me. What if you have a long setlist of tunes chosen in a random order, Is there no equivalent of the F1 switch on the AX8, which gave you access to banks of 8 presets?

This is not something that you can currently do with a footswitch. One thing that would be pretty easy would be to use MANAGE PRESETS to arrange the presets into alphabetical order. (You can Drag and Drop). Then set up foot switches for NEXT and PREVIOUS so you can step right to the one you need.

Another thought: If you had an FC12 connected, you could show the presets ten at a time on the mini displays and still have room for BANK UP and BANK DOWN switches.
apologies I replied to myself by mistake..... that sounds like a dyslexic's nighmare....is there a midi switch workaround? Could a midi cc or pc message access that page?

that sounds like a dyslexic's nighmare....is there a midi switch workaround? Could a midi cc or pc message access that page?
In the "PRESET" Layout (you can reach it by going to the MLM first; assuming you have not changed the configuration hold FS and release) you have banks of 3 presets, where you can change banks by press and hold either FS1 or FS3.
But since there are only 3 buttons, you won't easily get the banks of 8 like on the AX8.

I would think that is pretty good advice compared to any other alternative. I'm pretty sure you could do the same thing with midi.

i think the thing happening here is that there are "only" 3 switches.

let's say we have something pull up the Presets list - how many presets would it show? if more than 3 (1 per switch), how would you select from that list with the footswitches?

currently you can display 3 presets at a time on the 3 switches, then Bank up and down for the next/previous 3 presets at a time.

if you need more than 3 presets at a time, adding footswitches via an FC6 or FC12 could work, but you'd have to buy something else.

that's why i asked above if you could somehow make the preset list appear, how would you select them from the 3 switches?

alternatively if you can, you can bend down to the FM3 - like people do when adjusting pedals - Page right to the Preset List, and use the Nav buttons to select the preset and hit Enter. that's the current list option.

Last edited:
I think Fractal's aim with the fm3 was to have a more modular product in terms of the available footswitches at a lower price point for those with different needs. To be fair, and compare that functionality to the AX8 you would at least need an fc6 which would put the price something like $100 more than the AX8

24 presets isn't too much to keep track of. Bank up/down, and choose a preset. If you have an FC-6, you'll never be more than two banks away from the preset you need.

24 presets isn't too much to keep track of. Bank up/down, and choose a preset. If you have an FC-6, you'll never be more than two banks away from the preset you need.
I would respectfully dispute that, but ok fc6 it is (or stick with the AX8 for that particular artist). It seems as if the screen on the unit itself is not really supposed to be viewed when playing live except for the tuner. I suppose it’s just a matter of getting used to seeing the set list in the boxes on the foot switch rather than a list on a screen.

It seems as if the screen on the unit itself is not really supposed to be viewed when playing lie except for the tuner.
i wouldn't say that exactly, but it is different than the AX8. the AX8 had 8 footswitches but no display above them, so the main LCD had to display that information.

the FM3 (and FC6/12 before it) does have displays above each footswitch, so that's where the information is now, as you mentioned.

Yeah, reading the mini-displays for the preset list is pretty much where it's at. It's also pretty easy to get used to. If you have room for an FC-12, you'll only ever be one bank away.

i think the thing happening here is that there are "only" 3 switches.

let's say we have something pull up the Presets list - how many presets would it show? if more than 3 (1 per switch), how would you select from that list with the footswitches?

currently you can display 3 presets at a time on the 3 switches, then Bank up and down for the next/previous 3 presets at a time.

if you need more than 3 presets at a time, adding footswitches via an FC6 or FC12 could work, but you'd have to buy something else.

that's why i asked above if you could somehow make the preset list appear, how would you select them from the 3 switches?

alternatively if you can, you can bend down to the FM3 - like people do when adjusting pedals - Page right to the Preset List, and use the Nav buttons to select the preset and hit Enter. that's the current list option.
No it’s actually not about the number of switches. It’s about seeing a list of presets. I would use the left and right buttons to scroll up and down the list and the centre one to select a preset. But whatever, if it’s not possible then it’s either get used to this way of doing things or keep the AX8 for those gigs with a lot of songs needing different presets for each song.

Yeah, reading the mini-displays for the preset list is pretty much where it's at. It's also pretty easy to get used to. If you have room for an FC-12, you'll only ever be one bank away.
[/
ok so I assume it’s not something that is worth posting in the wish list then.

No it’s actually not about the number of switches. It’s about seeing a list of presets. I would use the left and right buttons to scroll up and down the list and the centre one to select a preset. But whatever, if it’s not possible then it’s either get used to this way of doing things or keep the AX8 for those gigs with a lot of songs needing different presets for each song.
That pretty much sums it up. But there's one big advantage to using the mini-displays. With your method, you could be as many as 14 stomps away from the preset you want. But with the current method, you'll never be more than three or four stomps away.

That's up to you.
Ok I will Post a request for a ‘set list’ view there. Until that point your way of doing this would be to return to the Master layout menu, select presets and then scroll up or down using the windows on the foot switch. Is that correct?

Ok I will Post a request for a ‘set list’ view there. Until that point your way of doing this would be to return to the Master layout menu, select presets and then scroll up or down using the windows on the foot switch. Is that correct?
that's the suggested method at this time.

you can also put Layout Links on all 3 Preset switches so that when you select a preset, it changes to whatever Layout you want then, like Scenes, etc.

also keep in mind that you can mix and match switches. sticking with the 3 on board, you could do something like Preset Up, Preset Down on switch 1 and 2, then Scene 1/2 Toggle on switch 3, and many other combinations. you don't have to just have Preset switches only on a Layout, for example.

Another possibility is to press the Page Right switch on the unit (with your finger). That will take you to the preset list. You can use the navigation arrows to select a preset with the enter button.

Back
Top Bottom