Help with piezo - PRS P22

WinstonN

In spite of searching hard, I can't find posts addressing this. User error, no doubt - I apologize.

I've had an Ultra and Ax II, but never used them with a piezo setup. I just picked up a PRS P22 that I have setup using the method from Chris @ Katsu Kuri...thanks Chris... Axe-FX II – Using 2 guitars at once | Katsu Kuri Media Blog. This method uses front input and rear-right input 1, with mixers at the front of each parallel path (front = magnetic and rear piezo).

However, I'm not liking the acoustic tone I'm getting - its might be how I have the eq and enhancer blocks set. In any case, I want to learn how to get great acoustic sounds from a piezo system (PRS P22 specifically).

Also, am using the best method for running the two signals (see link above ). I want to be able to switch between the two (or blend) quickly, with an output to the board and separate output to wedge. This method seem to work fine, but just set it up last night for the first time and I'm still thinking through how it all works.

Sorry again for asking a question I'm sure has been answered many times before...just point me... Thanks!

thanks for watching the vid!

try building your preset without the enhancer block first. sometimes the stereo spread changes the tone you hear, so dial it in first before adding effects like that.

i've recently been using that Tommy IR in a cab block with a bit of graphic eq and a multi band compressor.

i use the method in my video because i can mix the 2 independent signals exactly how i want and they both come through the same outputs, so that's less for the sound guy to mix, eq, etc. and i duplicate the signal to my on stage monitors.

i've recently been exploring solo/non-band setups and now add an external looper pedal, maybe mp3 tracks one day, into Input 2 L and put the FX loop in my preset(s) and also a Vocal processor in Input 2 R. I have 4 separate inputs all blended together into a single Mono out (or stereo if i want) to the PA.

I use the Taylor 314CE IR that is floating around here somewhere in this forum.

This! I followed Chris' instructions at KatsuKuri media, but didn't feel like wrapping my head around trying to make the multi-band compressor work for me. So I horked a hint from the aforementioned "Acoustic tone from heaven" thread and downloaded the two IR's mentioned there:

Axe-Change - Download Other - Tommy - by Muudrock
Axe-Change - Download Other - Taylor 314ce Earthworks QTC30 - by Muudrock

Loaded the IR's into the Axe II's User Cab slots via Axe-Edit, then added a cab block into the acoustic signal chain and auditioned both IR's in that cab block. I decided I liked the Taylor 314 IR better and stuck with that one. Added a touch of Graphic EQ, and it sounds great with my PRS Hollowbody piezo!

Thanks very much for the suggestions - I'm especially interested in the IRs...diving in now...

As for the P22, I love it...so far, but I've only had it a few days and I'm still getting to know it. Its my 4th PRS...didn't bond with my McCarty or HBII, but I love my DGT. The P22 magnetic tones are spectacular and the 5 way switch yields a great range. Its a great electric guitar, but I'm excited to get the piezo side ramped up. I have the rosewood neck option and it plays sooo well - such a great feel. I'll write up more after I get some more playing under my belt.

Back
Top Bottom