Help with Firmware Upgrade!

mbrown3

Inspired
OK, so I have a USB to MIDI cable that has in and out. I have the Out port connected to the "In" port on the MFC-101. I open Fractal Bot and get three options for MIDI port - Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, USB MIDI and USB MIDI(2). Which one do I select?

Currently if I select the Wavetable Synth, the process goes but the MFC still says, "FW Update Mode". If I try either of the USB options, I get Error 17.

What am I missing?

I have a mk iii and that's the file I downloaded.

Those cheap Chinese USB adapters are notoriously unreliable. Do you have access to a "pro grade" MIDI adapter?

You can also use the Axe-Fx as the MIDI adapter. Connect MIDI Out to MIDI In of the MFC. Turn "USB Adapter Mode" to ON. Be sure to turn off when finished.

Those cheap Chinese USB adapters are notoriously unreliable. Do you have access to a "pro grade" MIDI adapter?

Nope. I figured even with the cheap one I should be able to get it to go through at least once. Several times it looked like it was sending the file, but it still said "FW Update Mode" (or whatever) on the MFC101. Other times it says Error 17. Always one of the two. I've tried with numerous buffer values too.

Does that mean I should send this USB adapter back and get a different one?

The thing is, the cable seems to be functioning perfectly. When it's sending the lights are flashing appropriately, and it works with other gear I plugged it into. No drop in drop out or anything.

Nope. I figured even with the cheap one I should be able to get it to go through at least once. Several times it looked like it was sending the file, but it still said "FW Update Mode" (or whatever) on the MFC101. Other times it says Error 17. Always one of the two. I've tried with numerous buffer values too.

Does that mean I should send this USB adapter back and get a different one?

Try using the Axe-Fx as the MIDI adapter. Our #1 support issue on firmware upgrades are those *&#%$# Chinese MIDI adapters. They are absolute garbage. They don't pass sysex properly. They are only designed for small MIDI voice messages.

When using the Axe-Fx also be sure to set "Send Realtime Sysex" to None.

Try using the Axe-Fx as the MIDI adapter. Our #1 support issue on firmware upgrades are those *&#%$# Chinese MIDI adapters. They are absolute garbage. They don't pass sysex properly. They are only designed for small MIDI voice messages.

Gotcha. Did it through Axe-Fx, worked fine. I'll send the MIDI cable back on Monday. Thanks!

i just finished making a new video that shows how to update the MFC-101 firmware using Fractal-Bot and using the Axe as the MIDI interface. i'll embed the video below, but be sure to check out today's article about the 3.07 update which also reminds you how to assign your IA switches, since you'll need to do that too.

Firmware 3.07 for MFC-101 Released | AxeFxTutorials.com

--
edit, i just saw you got it going right after i posted this :)

i just finished making a new video that shows how to update the MFC-101 firmware using Fractal-Bot and using the Axe as the MIDI interface. i'll embed the video below, but be sure to check out today's article about the 3.07 update which also reminds you how to assign your IA switches, since you'll need to do that too.

Firmware 3.07 for MFC-101 Released | AxeFxTutorials.com

--
edit, i just saw you got it going right after i posted this :)

Thanks...I just finished reassigning IAs, then came back and saw this, lol. We're ninja'ing each other.

Im going to post here as well with this issue. First of all thanks to Chris for the video, very helpful and I followed it to a tee (on a related note I was unable to successfully complete the prior FW update using my (no doubt cheap chinese) adapter but using the Axe was seamless and easy). Now the MFC shows the current FW (3.07). Initially I was getting the "Name Timeout" message on the MFC display but I think I have cured this. However now when I change presets (using switches 1-5 on the bottom row) the preset name changes on the Axe with the first tap but not on the MFC. I have to tap the footswitch a 2nd time to get the MFC display to change. In reveal mode I am unable to switch scenes on the MFC however if I change the scene on the AXE the corresponding footswitch on the MFC does light up. I have scanned the manual and some of the threads here but Im wondering if there is something simple (or complicated!) I am missing. I should add that the changing of presets via the MFC is as seamless as ever. Any suggestions are most appreciated.

Ah ha.. does that mean I can use this as a midi interface to edit my Behringer FB1010 as I was having no luck with the crappy cheap midi interface I tried and gave up on before

Back
Top Bottom