Help with coping a tone

The_Kid

Experienced
Hey guys, gen 1 Ultra user here. so now that thats out of the way....
I dont plan on or have the funds to buy a II...so now that thats out of the way...

I have been trying to dial in a good Slash tone for my 'core' Marshall sound. I get close, then I tweak something, i get close, then I tweak something. There is always something lacking. Yes I understand tone is in the hands, and I'm not using an LP, and blah blah blah. I get all that.

What my question concerns are the settings for pre/post(master) gain with his sound. Specifically, I'm referring to the sound he has on the song Halo from his latest cd. There are some great tones on this cd, and the sound on Halo during the intro scales, and also the main riff that kicks in at about the :30 mark. it's also used during the chorus'.

What I hear is such a string definition and gain sound that makes me think its more master volume style gain, but I can't seem to get enough using that parameter. I then have tried backing the master down, and also turning the pre-gain up, it then gets too gainy and loses that clean/chunky style of sound. I've also tried reducing both and boosting the amp a bit to tighten it up and add some input gain to the mix.

Models I've tried have been the JCM800/Plexi I/Marshal Preamp. The Marshall Preamp has gotten me closest, but still just doesnt have the right 'feel'. I tried the BE/HBE, but they just seem to not have the right voicing, unless I'm completely doing something wrong.

Any Tips, ideas or amp blocks I can try?

Maybe voicing wasnt the best choice to describe what I hear. It seems like those amps to me are too focused/tight and dont allow that string ringing through type sound that I hear in his tone.

I appreciate the help though, I can try that though and see where it gets me.

in the amp settings, you can adjust the low cut frequency higher and that will get you more string separation. don't be afraid to take the low cut up to 500hz on some amp models. the low cut affects the distortion flab....you can add more bass after the amp to compensate if needed.

did you try any of the Singtall presets? i use the low cut on just about every preset. try the jcm800 preset.

I'm familiar enough with the 'advanced' parameters.....I know about lowering the damping loosens the amp and raising it will generally tighten the amp a bit.

Singtall - I was hoping you would chime in, you seem to have a similar approach to your amps as I do. I downloaded your pack, but have just been lazy this week and not hooked up my rig since my gig last saturday. hehee...I'll do so this weekend sometime after saturdays show.

Anyway, my normal tweaking when adjusting my own tones...I usually raise the low cut to around 124hz, but depends on amp model, I know the BE/HBE's default to 500 I believe and still have a massively thick tone in the low end to me. I also usually raise the xformer low/high from the default 5.0 up to a max of 6.5 I remember reading a post from cliff that said raising these can give amps a certain mojo and punch. I dont have set numbers, but even a .5 adjustment will have an effect you can hear. I also drop the low frequency resonance to 75 hz because that matches the speaker cab IR's i'm using...and that helps as well. other than that. I'll tweak the bias point a bit sometimes.

I really think its more of nailing the boost/pre/post gain settings, the eq I can adjust to taste, but its that gain structure in his sound that I've always had a hard time finding. either too gainy and sounds processed, or not enough gain and sounds lifeless.

I also watched a rig walkthrough with his guitar tech. and his live sound for the current tour looks like a Silver Jubilee, and also a regular stock 2203 JCM800 (they were using 6550 tubes though I think, so it was biased for that). His tech said that he usually starts with all settings on 6, and adjusts from there for the room.

For leads he is using a boost that gives him 12db of boost...but I couldnt see what kind of boost it was, I'd have to watch again, and check the youtube comments.

pretty much all of my "Singtall Krunch" presets are going for that type of tone.....clarity with krunch, but not a ton of gain. the brightest presets are the jcm800 and the Fryette presets. try those first.

Back
Top Bottom