Help with CLR Buzz

Mebin

Need help just got CLR in and very excited however annoying Buzz like metal rattle. Tried it clean and hear it at certain frequencies (G string especially). I took off grill still hear it. I know I have 60hz interference so moved to a differnt room but still was there. I was sure it was CLR so I took it to a friends house with Axe fx2 and CLR to compair his and I brought my rig. At his house Buzz was gone and sounded amazing. Brought it back set it up again and Buzz is back and driving me crazy!! I thought it must be something in the room but I cant track it down. Can interference from wiring in house cause the speaker to Buzz?? When I turn speaker up I hear a rhythmic click like metronome?? I can also hear the same click on my other tube amps when turned up but dont get this Buzz like the CLR? Before I had CLR had atomic reactor which did not have the Buzz? Any thoughts on how to narrow down this problem would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Yes laptop but tried turning it off. At friends house did not bring laptop however. Even with it off can it cause this buzz? When I moved speaker to different room laptop was at least 8 feet away. The buzz I am talking about almost sounds like blown speaker does but I know it is not this because was gone at friends house.

Do you have a power conditioner? If not, try one. Is the sound also in the Axe-fx headphones? In the room your in, unplug everthing else. Check kitchen appliances, air conditioners make sure they are not on. Good luck finding the gremlin!

I guess could be fret buzz used a differnt guitar at friends house. Why however do I hear it with CLR and did not hear it with Reactor?

Need help just got CLR in and very excited however annoying Buzz like metal rattle. Tried it clean and hear it at certain frequencies (G string especially). I took off grill still hear it. I know I have 60hz interference so moved to a differnt room but still was there. I was sure it was CLR so I took it to a friends house with Axe fx2 and CLR to compair his and I brought my rig. At his house Buzz was gone and sounded amazing. Brought it back set it up again and Buzz is back and driving me crazy!! I thought it must be something in the room but I cant track it down. Can interference from wiring in house cause the speaker to Buzz?? When I turn speaker up I hear a rhythmic click like metronome?? I can also hear the same click on my other tube amps when turned up but dont get this Buzz like the CLR? Before I had CLR had atomic reactor which did not have the Buzz? Any thoughts on how to narrow down this problem would be much appreciated.
Please contact support@atomicamps.com and I'd be happy to help you troubleshoot your issue.

Best,

Tom

I've heard of the "metronome like clicking" issues before, but I can't remember what the cause/remedy was. I want to say it's a possible ground loop problem, but I could be wrong.

Thanks Tom I will. I am sure it is not the speaker and it sounds amazing at friends house so has to be something on my side of things just not sure how to track it down. But will contact you on support site for advice

Thanks

M

I have a Rivera Jake Studio Combo that has this buzz issue on F# and G. Most noticeable on A string, but also on D string. Just when playing clean. I sounds like the speaker is torn, or the voice coil has a loose metal part. It's kind of a background fizzle. It doesn't happen with other cabs on the amp, just the Rivera cab (I think a Celestron speak, I gotta look at it.)

You guys aren't crazy, this stuff happens.

OP (or anyone else for that matter) - please post your resolution if you are able to figure it out.

@Mark's Tone - Do you have a CLR? I tried a CLR with 6 different guitars, at 3 different houses/offices, and all of them had the buzz (@randolfo - background fizzle is also a good way to describe it) on clean guitar sounds. How can you be so sure that it is fret buzz and if that really is what it is, why does it sound like the cab sim has absolutely no effect on taming it?

Last edited:
You could have a ground loop situation at your house (fairly common).

You might want to look into the EBTech Hum X

This sucker works (I own one). This does NOT eliminate 60 cycle hum from single coils -- but does a great job of eliminating ground loops.

I have a couple of the HumX gadgets too. They do work well.

Be care though, they are not intended for amplifiers or other high current draw devices like the CLR.

But you can definitely use one on the AxeFx II and if the issue is a ground loop between the AxeFx and the CLR, then using the HumX on the AxeFx should break the loop.

I've heard of the "metronome like clicking" issues before, but I can't remember what the cause/remedy was. I want to say it's a possible ground loop problem, but I could be wrong.

The culprits for that clicking that I have identified are ----

1) air conditioner - if I want a metronome all I have to do is turn on the small air conditioner I have in my office -- LOL
2) Cell phones - always a good source of "clicking" -- not as good as an air conditioner -- but a source just the same.
3) USB cable plugged into Axe can some times amplify the clicks from #1 and #2

Last edited:
I have a couple of the HumX gadgets too. They do work well.

Be care though, they are not intended for amplifiers or other high current draw devices like the CLR.

But you can definitely use one on the AxeFx II and if the issue is a ground loop between the AxeFx and the CLR, then using the HumX on the AxeFx should break the loop.

The issue is most likely with some item that is NOT the Axe or a powered monitor. In my case I do not plug my Axe into it -- I plug my desktop computer into the hum x and then plug the Hum x into the outlet, however I would definitely test the way you described -- easy way eliminate that as the source of the problem,

Last edited:
Need help just got CLR in and very excited however annoying Buzz like metal rattle.

I'm having a similar issue and working with Tom to figure it out.
He's been helpful so far, so I would recommend letting him help you figure this out.

So you've made some progress? Do tell!

Progress to date is that Tom has been helping identify different ways to test the CLR to try and determine the issue.
I am still working on it though....more tests this weekend!!

Back
Top Bottom