Help with Boxy Plexi

atquinn

Power User
Forgive the stupid question, but...

I'm feeling like the Plexis are "boxy" with my humbucker guitars. I find that the FAS Crunch model is better in this regard, but still a bit boxy. It doesn't seem to be an IR thing since I use the same IR with other amps and they don't sound boxy (comparatively speaking). Just the Plexis. So...
1. Is this just a Plexi thing?
2. Is there a parameter I can use to reduce this?
3. Are there any other amps in the Axe that are like the Plexi but not boxy? Actually, I already know at least one answer to this question; the Cameron CCV 2A. Are there any others?
-
Austin

Last edited:
Depending what you mean by boxy, it might be that all Plexis have that to some extent. They definitely have this kind of woody thump that could be construed as such.

I find that most boxiness can be gotten rid of by cutting 400 Hz or thereabouts.

if things are feeling boxy, try increasing treble. Use the GEQ block to fine tune the crap out of it.

FWIW, I think the real amp is "boxy". I have a completely original 1966 JTM45 and that needs the bass turned down to almost zero, mid backed off a touch, and treble almost maxed out...... Then it's sounds like nothing else ! in a good way.

FWIW, I think the real amp is "boxy". I have a completely original 1966 JTM45 and that needs the bass turned down to almost zero, mid backed off a touch, and treble almost maxed out...... Then it's sounds like nothing else ! in a good way.
I actually like the JTM45 quite a bit for cleaner/edgy stuff. It doesn't feel boxy to me like the Plexis do. Thanks for the EQ info. I generally don't mess with those; I'll give them a try.
-
Austin

Being old enough to remember when Plexis were a current model...(Super Leads actually), it seems all the Marshall players ran their treble on 10, bass on 0, and mids on 5 or below with 0 being common. Just seems to work with them. The Fractal's Marshalls are incredible, so don't give up.

Being old enough to remember when Plexis were a current model...(Super Leads actually), it seems all the Marshall players ran their treble on 10, bass on 0, and mids on 5 or below with 0 being common. Just seems to work with them. The Fractal's Marshalls are incredible, so don't give up.

The settings you mention are why I prefer the FAS Crunch model. You get the sound of the EQs you mentioned with everything straight up at the default values! :D
-
Austin

Have you tried different IR's?
Yes, but as I mentioned, I don't think that's the issue. If I run a Cameron in a given IR and then run a Plexi into the same IR, then the Plexi will be boxy. If I change the IR, the Plexi will still be boxy relative to the Cameron even if, say the boxiness is less than with the first IR. Which of course begs the question, why not just use the Cameron (or whatever amp sounds better/less boxy)? Too much time on my hands I guess :D
-
Austin

As mentioned you can cut the bass to 0. Plexis are rather bottom heavy and unless the bass is cut can just sound muddy. You could try setting the low cut at 300. The FAS Plexi 50wHi model is one of my favorites and I use that model most of the time. You might give that a try. Once you get a Plexi dialed in, you can see why they are so popular. They have more grits than a pot-belled sheriff and clean up really well by rolling off the guitar volume. Absolutely love that Plexi 50wHi.

Maybe one of the "seven bad system dwarves" is visiting you...

7SoundDwarves_Tshirt.jpg

Well, maybe try and dial it out using the preamp section in the cab block. Thats where I always do my final tone shaping.

Play single-coils into it, since they're naturally scooped. PAFs and other early humbuckers were also very scooped compared to modern models.

Use a PEQ block after the Cab block. Dip a few dBs somewhere between 600 to 800Hz with a Q of 1. That's what I call the "cardboard zone".
Seconded, but I prefer 400-600Hz

As mentioned you can cut the bass to 0. Plexis are rather bottom heavy and unless the bass is cut can just sound muddy. You could try setting the low cut at 300. The FAS Plexi 50wHi model is one of my favorites and I use that model most of the time. You might give that a try. Once you get a Plexi dialed in, you can see why they are so popular. They have more grits than a pot-belled sheriff and clean up really well by rolling off the guitar volume. Absolutely love that Plexi 50wHi.

This. I have a pretty bright LP, so don't need to cut bass as much as the others. But I play this model more than any other one because it can do so many things.

Play single-coils into it, since they're naturally scooped. PAFs and other early humbuckers were also very scooped compared to modern models.

Seconded, but I prefer 400-600Hz

I already use single coils into it. No problem there, hence why I only posted about humbuckers. :) And my Humbuckers are PAF-style so no issue there. Just need some tips on how to dial it in a bit better for me. I was going to give it a shot earlier this evening but I ended up spending 1/2 hour playing on the Comet 60 :D
-
Austin

Just for some feedback/validation on matching the common names like "boxy" to frequency ranges... what frequency ranges did you end up cutting or boosting?

Back
Top Bottom