Help with a Marco Sfogli tone

VidarAus

Experienced
Hi all,

Really liking this latest song from Marco, including the tone:

I have some typical saturated, Mark IV/IIC+ lead tones bedded down ala Petrucci and some of Marco's other work but am not sure about how to build a lower-gain but saturated tone like in the video. It is driven, but also has a twangy quality and a vocal sort of growl (hard to explain).

I think a lot has to do with that guitar and pickups, and Marco's technique of course. He plays a Mezzabarba amp these days, which I had not heard of before. Anyone know the typology of this amp or what might be similar in the Axe III?

Any advice on amp, cabs or settings (or a patch f you have one!) would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

VidarAus

Do you have a Strat type guitar? That has s lot to do with the single coil pickup. Love me some Marco Sfogli!

These are no typical Strat pickups. They are active EMG pickups. Maybe 81/SA/SA or 85/SA/SA

Thanks for the insights!

I don’t have a strat type guitar. Agree it probably has a lot to do with it, along with those pickups! I always use Dimarzio so don’t have much knowledge of EMG.

He is such a monster player. Very underrated in my opinion.

Marco is an amazing player. Love his phrasing and some of the tones he gets. First discovered him on a playthrough for Ibanez, I think it was called “The Reaction”.

I haven't played Mezzabarba amps myself, but they usually get a lot of praise. It's the same guys behind Masotti amps. The models he is using are supposedly SLO'ish in sound character, so maybe start from there?

Back
Top Bottom