Help - What to use to extract allen screws with stripped heads?

shredi knight

Power User
I have an Ibanez RGT42 that I need to retrieve the 2 allen screws from inside the holes in the back of the neck that hold the locking nut in place:

18ml.jpg

The screw heads are completely stripped and all attempts to remove them with the typical tools I have on-hand have failed. There are several screw extractor sets on Amazon (Amazon.com: screw extractor), but I'm not sure which one would be best for this situation. The screws are seated down in the holes about 1/3 of an inch, with the holes themselves being 1/4th of an inch in diameter, so I would need something narrow enough and long enough.

I don't want to make a guess an order a set that is not going to work, so I was hoping someone on here has maybe dealt with this situation before and would have a recommendation.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. From the condition of the holes, you might have guessed this isn't the first time I've stripped the heads of the screws that hold the locking nut. I bought this guitar brand new pretty cheap several nears ago ($300 shipped) as just a second guitar to play occasionally (my main guitar is a Carvin DC127C). When I first received it, the locking nut was set way too high. To make a long story a little shorter, it's basically been a series of removing the nut, sanding (then shimming when I sanded too far :D), putting the nut back on, not getting it right, and repeating that several times until the allen screw's heads would wear out. Most times I could retrieve the screws, them replace them with a new set, then begin again. The times I couldn't get them loose, I would just say "F-ck it!", then put the guitar away for a year or two until I felt like messing with it again. :lol: :LOL: Usually I can then manage to get the screws to come out, but this time they are really in there tight which brings me here after deciding to actually get the right tool for the job. :D

Here's what the rest of the guitar looks like. Save for the scuffed/gouged up screw holes in the picture above, it's actually still in almost brand new condition without a mark on it:

umqz.jpg

I have used a number of extractors over the years and most of them work about equally well, or poorly. :) If it were me, I would start with left handed drill bits. I would pick a size that was a little smaller then the shaft diameter and try to drill the head off. If you are lucky, the drill will catch on the screw while you are drilling and loosen the screw up (that's why left handed drills). You have to make sure that the drill stays centered in the screw (if you hit wood, you did something wrong). Drill slowly so you don't dull the drill bit and also so you don't get the wood too hot. If you drill down to just below the screw head and the screw has not loosened on its own, then an easy-out can be used. It will either loosen the screw or break off the head. Either way you win. If the head breaks off then you can push the screw shaft through the hole and unscrew it off the locking nut. If any of this sounds scary, then you probably should find someone who is comfortable with this kind of work to help you. :)
I'm an aircraft mechanic (well avionics mostly but I get involved with most kinds of small aircraft maintenance) so I have a lot of experience with stubborn screws.

Easy-Outs are probably the most removal tools. They take some care to use, and how well they work depends on the extent of the damage and the care with which you use them.

It may be easier to drill them out.

Whatever you do, when you've got them out, replace them with new screw, and only use clean wrenches of precisely the correct size. If you do that, it should be pretty hard to strip them again.

a quick thing to try is the closest size of hex / allen head and a bit of epoxy glue, let it cure over night and gently but firmly unscrew it ..
of course making very sure you are not putting glue on the neck or side of the screw .. but that's obvious ..

if you try it, put masking tape on the neck and into the cavity first in case you spill or make a mess ..

easy and quick thing to try

good luck

My friend (guitar tech with a fully equipped workshop though) drilled them out for me when I had this problem.

1. Use a new Allen wrench 2.take a q-tip and dab just a little grinding compound in the screw head 3. Hold plenty of down pressure when you back it out

Use a torx bit.
Preferably with a ratched socket.
Find one that doesn't quite fit.
Gently hammer it in.
Keep the pressure on while gently trying to unscrew it.

Just an observation - these are locking nut screws not truss rod adjustment screws - just a fine point.

While you can go to any good hardware store and get an inexpensive easy out type extractor kit I would follow Rex's guidance:

"If any of this sounds scary, then you probably should find someone who is comfortable with this kind of work to help you." :)

Just an observation - these are locking nut screws not truss rod adjustment screws - just a fine point.

While you can go to any good hardware store and get an inexpensive easy out type extractor kit I would follow Rex's guidance:

"If any of this sounds scary, then you probably should find someone who is comfortable with this kind of work to help you." :)

From the looks of the guitar I think it's scared of Shredi :)

I like the idea MisterE suggested about first trying to tap a torx bit in there in an attempt to get it to turn. If and when it comes down to using an extraction tool (EasyOut), be sure to drill the pilot hole on a DRILL PRESS with the guitar held firmly in place. You need to prevent the drill bit from "walking" off center, or inadvertently making an oversized, or crooked hole.

That's a good point. The slot on a truss rod nut is a lot deeper than the slot on a cap screw, which is what holds the locking nut on. That's why a tapered wrench works so well on a truss rod. Not that it won't work with a cap screw, but the odds are less favorable.

Update:

qzf2.jpg

YEAH BOI!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen

The GraBit screw remover I ordered from Amazon actually didn't work. After it failed, I remembered I had this little screwdriver/ratchet set my wife bought me a couple of years ago and I managed to get the screws out using it.

So now I bought some brand new screws from the hardware store & ordered some Floyd Rose locking nut shims from Stewart MacDonald (instead of sticking "whatever fit" under the nut to shim it). With any luck (i.e. not stripping the new screws), I'll have this guitar set-up and playing good within the next week or two. :)

So spill, already. :) How did a ratcheting screwdriver succeed where an extractor failed?

Back
Top Bottom