Help Using Kemper with Axe-Fx III

Jason Scott

Fractal Fanatic
I realize there's no FX Loop in the Axe-Fx III, however the long and short of it is I'd like to use the Kemper as a block on the grid.

Basically, I had the XL+ connected to my interface via SPDIF and would run the Kemper's main outputs into Input 2 (FX Return) of the Axe-Fx and connect Output 2 of the XL+ to the Instrument input on the front of the Kemper.

This allowed me to access the Kemper in Axe-Edit using the FX Loop block, however I can't seem to make this work in the Axe-Fx III, or at least I don't understand why it won't work simply by connecting the Kemper's main outputs to Input 3 of the (Axe-Fx) and then Output 3 (Axe-Fx) to the instrument input on the front of the Kemper.

What am I doing wrong here? Any help would be appreciated.

Did you place Output 3 and Input 3 blocks in the preset?

I can get a signal from Input / Output 3 if I plug straight into the Kemper's instrument input directly, however I'm confused as to the necessary connections I need to make in order to obtain a signal from the Kemper when plugging into the Axe's instrument input instead. I thought I simply needed to connect Output 3 to the Kemper's instrument input. However, with that configuration, I'm not getting any response when plugging the guitar cable into the Axe's front instrument input rather than the Kemper's instrument input.

Last edited:
Awe man, you solved it before I could jump in to help. I am running that exact configuration right now, OUT3 to Kemper input and Kemper mains back to Input 3. I didn't reverse them on the grid (though it looked backwards when I first did it), but my issue was that I forgot to turn up the OUT3 vol knob on the AF3 front panel. Works great.

Awe man, you solved it before I could jump in to help. I am running that exact configuration right now, OUT3 to Kemper input and Kemper mains back to Input 3. I didn't reverse them on the grid (though it looked backwards when I first did it), but my issue was that I forgot to turn up the OUT3 vol knob on the AF3 front panel. Works great.

I appreciate the sentiment either way. Cool to know there are others on the forum running the same configuration. Do you have the OUT 3 knob dimed? According to the manual, it's at unity gain when turned fully clockwise.

Yes, I have the OUT3 knob dimed for exactly that reason. I just make sure that my guitar input to the Axe just tickles the red, and made sure the Kemper input levels are set right too. I haven't tried using a Humbuster cable yet, just use a regular TS now, but seems to work and sound great. Cool thing is, I have presets that use the Kemper and others that are fully AF3 amps, and it just works really simple and well. I really love the new AF3 display, grid, routing, and scene naming - just makes everything easy to do.

I just set up the same thing earlier this week, and agree it's cool to see others had the same idea. I also had the In/Out blocks inverted and the OUT3 knob too low. Sounds great after the changes, and love the ability to use Kemper patches I had along with Axe amp/cab blocks to really fine tune it. One thing I didn't like much about the Kemper is that once you dime your bass/mid/treb/presence knobs, you're done. But I love how now I can use an EQ block in the Axe signal chain to get it where I wanted it.

One other thought that crossed my mind and I'm curious if any Axe/Kemper wizards out there have tried this.. I currently have one patch on the Axe specifically for use with the Kemper and the in3/out3 blocks. But let's say you create multiple patches on the Kemper that work with specific patches on the Axe. Rather than turning the Axe and Kemper knobs to match up each patch, is it possible to use MIDI to call up patches from both units to tie them together on the fly with a pedalboard, or just having one unit control the other?

I just set up the same thing earlier this week, and agree it's cool to see others had the same idea. I also had the In/Out blocks inverted and the OUT3 knob too low. Sounds great after the changes, and love the ability to use Kemper patches I had along with Axe amp/cab blocks to really fine tune it. One thing I didn't like much about the Kemper is that once you dime your bass/mid/treb/presence knobs, you're done. But I love how now I can use an EQ block in the Axe signal chain to get it where I wanted it.

One other thought that crossed my mind and I'm curious if any Axe/Kemper wizards out there have tried this.. I currently have one patch on the Axe specifically for use with the Kemper and the in3/out3 blocks. But let's say you create multiple patches on the Kemper that work with specific patches on the Axe. Rather than turning the Axe and Kemper knobs to match up each patch, is it possible to use MIDI to call up patches from both units to tie them together on the fly with a pedalboard, or just having one unit control the other?

I have been using the Kemper and Axe3 together but in a little different setup.

I plug the guitar into the Kemper first, then take the Kemper di output to the axe 3 input 1, then take the Kemper main outputs into the axe 3 input 2.
Input 1 runs through the axe3 amp /cab blocks then blends into the Kemper and external effects.
Then right now I have output 3 sending stereo loop to an eventide h9 and returning on input 3. Then another eventide h9 in a stereo loop on output 4.
Output 1 to foh
Output 2 to monitor cabs.

I have basically 6 Axe3 presets for everything atm.
Each preset has a midi block that sends a program change message to the Kemper (in performance mode) to switch through my Kemper profiles while switching axe3 presets.
All my axe 3 inputs basically go to a mixer block which I have different mix settings saved to the 4 channels of the mixer block.
The stereo loops (h9s) I usually use to do huge Reverbs to take that processing load off the axe 3. It's pretty cool to have two slightly different super huge stereo verbs to blend with the mixer block.

Anyway this is just kind of my first draft it isn't really good for browsing axe 3 presets but it is pretty solid for making super huge performance sounds.

I plug the guitar into the Kemper first, then take the Kemper di output to the axe 3 input 1, then take the Kemper main outputs into the axe 3 input 2.
Input 1 runs through the axe3 amp /cab blocks then blends into the Kemper and external effects.
Then right now I have output 3 sending stereo loop to an eventide h9 and returning on input 3. Then another eventide h9 in a stereo loop on output 4.
Output 1 to foh

Each preset has a midi block that sends a program change message to the Kemper (in performance mode) to switch through my Kemper profiles while switching axe3 presets.
All my axe 3 inputs basically go to a mixer block which I have different mix settings saved to the 4 channels of the mixer block.
The stereo loops (h9s) I usually use to do huge Reverbs to take that processing load off the axe 3. It's pretty cool to have two slightly different super huge stereo verbs to blend with the mixer block.

Anyway this is just kind of my first draft it isn't really good for browsing axe 3 presets but it is pretty solid for making super huge performance sounds.
That is a hellacious setup. I bet it sounds great.

I realize there's no FX Loop in the Axe-Fx III, however the long and short of it is I'd like to use the Kemper as a block on the grid.

Basically, I had the XL+ connected to my interface via SPDIF and would run the Kemper's main outputs into Input 2 (FX Return) of the Axe-Fx and connect Output 2 of the XL+ to the Instrument input on the front of the Kemper.

This allowed me to access the Kemper in Axe-Edit using the FX Loop block, however I can't seem to make this work in the Axe-Fx III, or at least I don't understand why it won't work simply by connecting the Kemper's main outputs to Input 3 of the (Axe-Fx) and then Output 3 (Axe-Fx) to the instrument input on the front of the Kemper.

What am I doing wrong here? Any help would be appreciated.

Output 1 to foh

I'm trying to do the same thing, but via SPDIF way, and doesn't works. Signal arrive in the Kemper, but don't come back, someone that see something wrong here?

Guitar to input 2 (Left only) on the Axe III
Axe III > SPDIF out > SPDF in Kemper
Kemper SPDIF out > SPDIF in Axe III
Main output 1/2 XLR to my Apollo
Usb to my Mac

On Axe i/o setup:

SPDIF/AES Select > SPDIF
SPDIF/AES Out Source > Output 2

INPUT 1 Source SPDIF/AES
INPUT 2 Mode Left Only

On Kemper OUT Setup:
SPDIF Output: Master Stereo
Sample Rate: 48khz

Attachments

• Schermata 2020-03-21 alle 23.00.02.png
    Schermata 2020-03-21 alle 23.00.02.png
    174.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
“SOLVED”

It’s notpossibile to use both spdif in and out together (from the manual).
So, it’s an hardware limit

I'm trying to do the same thing, but via SPDIF way, and doesn't works. Signal arrive in the Kemper, but don't come back, someone that see something wrong here?

Guitar to input 2 (Left only) on the Axe III
Axe III > SPDIF out > SPDF in Kemper
Kemper SPDIF out > SPDIF in Axe III
Main output 1/2 XLR to my Apollo
Usb to my Mac

On Axe i/o setup:

SPDIF/AES Select > SPDIF
SPDIF/AES Out Source > Output 2

INPUT 1 Source SPDIF/AES
INPUT 2 Mode Left Only

On Kemper OUT Setup:
SPDIF Output: Master Stereo
Sample Rate: 48khz

Here's how I have the Kemper connected to the Axe-Fx III:

Axe-Fx SPDIF In/Out to Audio Interface SPDIF In/Out
Axe-Fx III Input 2 (L/R) to Kemper Main Outputs L/R (TRS)
Axe-Fx III Output 4 to Kemper front instrument (guitar) input
Guitar plugged into Axe-Fx III Instr input on front panel

Axe-Fx III and Kemper Connections.jpg

In Axe-Edit, Input 2 and Output 4 are assigned to the Kemper:

Axe-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
Here's how I have the Kemper connected to the Axe-Fx III:

Axe-Fx SPDIF In/Out to Audio Interface SPDIF In/Out
Axe-Fx III Input 2 (L/R) to Kemper Main Outputs L/R (TRS)
Axe-Fx III Output 4 to Kemper front instrument (guitar) input
Guitar plugged into Axe-Fx III Instr input on front panel

View attachment 65316

In Axe-Edit, Input 2 and Output 4 are assigned to the Kemper:

View attachment 65317

Interesting. So you can use the effects in the III with your KPA , and only need the single spdif to go to your Interface for both. Cool application , but I don’t see myself wanting to “replace” the amp in my III with the Kemper.
I like both together.
I have good results using an a/b box to split my guitar signal , then send separate signals to my DAW , with each one panned L / R.

Interesting. So you can use the effects in the III with your KPA

Yes.

only need the single spdif to go to your Interface for both.

I use two SPDIF cables(for IN and OUT).

Cool application , but I don’t see myself wanting to “replace” the amp in my III with the Kemper.

I don't use the Kemper's amps in conjunction with the III's cabs, myself. I actually love some of the cabs in the Kemper, so sometimes I'll combine an Amp block in the III with the cab section of the KPA, and if I find a cab I really like, I have the option of capturing it as an IR in the III using the III's built-in IR capture utility.

Having said that, since the Kemper is limited to 8 effects overall, having it in the loop of the III allows me to use some of the III's fantastic FX in front of and/or behind a KPA profile. I can also combine an Axe-Fx III preset with a Kemper profile and pan both left/right for a really nice stereo rig with the ability to add specific effects from the III in front of and/or behind the KPA. I also have the option of combining two Amp blocks in the III (panned left/right) with the Amp section of the KPA (panned center) or any combination thereof. There are a lot of options.

The III is utterly fantastic by itself, no question, and using it in tandem with the KPA opens up a whole new level of possibilities.

I like both together.
I have good results using an a/b box to split my guitar signal , then send separate signals to my DAW , with each one panned L / R.

Running the KPA in the loop of the III will offer you the same ability but with many, many more options.

Last edited:
Interesting. So you can use the effects in the III with your KPA , and only need the single spdif to go to your Interface for both. Cool application , but I don’t see myself wanting to “replace” the amp in my III with the Kemper.
I like both together.

the FxIII is amazing and don't need anything else, but it is interesting to make some experiment, such as use 2 amps in parallel (one on the Kpa and the other on the Axe) or take some A/B comparison using the same effects with just a click.

Yes.

I don't use the Kemper's amps in conjunction with the III's cabs, myself. I actually love some of the cabs in the Kemper ...

Running the KPA in the loop of the III will offer you the same ability but with many, many more options.

This is the way I run it too for pretty much the same reasons. There are some profiles that I really just love and can route them through the AxeFX III. If you go with their cone or cabinet you would have to reverse it I guess but hope that FAS may have a similar product in the pipeline.

Back
Top Bottom