help solving crackling sound

sgilsinger

Inspired
I recently updated to FW13.02 and ever since I get this crackling noise both from my guitar cabinets and FOH.I read the discussion about clipping etc and checked all my settings.My CPU usage is at 79% and I don't have any lights clipping on the front panel of the AxeFX2.I ran through several patches and upon startup they all crackle,after about 10 minutes or so of playing the crackling goes away.Never had this problem before,so I am stumped...any help is GREATLY appreciated.

I always have this issue and have never been able to figure out what is causing it. Folks say that all tube amps have that sound but I can't imagine the sound I'm hearing is a tube amp sound because it sounds like dirt inside the tube sockets. Might be a treble or bright setting.

Is it preset specific or across ALL your presets?

If it's preset specific (not every preset), Just to clarify it's not excess CPU: try and delete an effects block or two, save preset, reload and see if it still happens. I am finding some presets are doing excess CPU that didn't in prior FW.

I am getting crackle as well.

For me, I don't see that much of an issue with factory cabs...mostly the included OH UltraRES.

It's not rampant, just something I noticed occasionally. I don't have high CPU presets.

R

crackling issue

For me, I don't see that much of an issue with factory cabs...mostly the included OH UltraRES.

It's not rampant, just something I noticed occasionally. I don't have high CPU presets.

R

I am using factory cabs,no ultra res yet,and all the patches I have tried all do the same thing.I mde sure there is no clipping and CPU usage is at 79% at its highest.I have tried deleting some blocks from larger presets and it doesn't help.I didn't have this issue with previous firmware versions.The crackling comes through FOH as well as through my marshall cabs.

Is it preset specific or across ALL your presets?

If it's preset specific (not every preset), Just to clarify it's not excess CPU: try and delete an effects block or two, save preset, reload and see if it still happens. I am finding some presets are doing excess CPU that didn't in prior FW.

Yep, me too - the "some presets are doing excess CPU" bit. I can reprogram each preset (which I'm doing) but it's driving me to distraction. Dangerous on stage and annoying in the studio.

Could it be some sort of memory leak issue?

Last edited:

When auditioning the OH/UltraRes cabs in v13 I also noticed something 'odd' in the high end on some amp/cab combinations like is being described here that I didn't before. I though maybe UR was more revealing/detailed and highlighting crackle/spatter from the amp. I was going to spend more time with v13/UR before I asked about it here but I see others have noticed something different in the UR cabs. I also don't have any high CPU presets and it's 'here and there' and not on every amp/cab I've been playing.

Last edited:
Yep, me too. It's driving me to distraction. Dangerous on stage and annoying in the studio. Could it be some sort of memory leak issue?

Some of the new features simply use more CPU than before. You need to trim your presets down. It's not "dangerous", it's user error. The device lets you monitor CPU usage. If you are over 90% you are playing with fire. The only person to blame here is yourself.

Some of the new features simply use more CPU than before. You need to trim your presets down. It's not "dangerous", it's user error. The device lets you monitor CPU usage. If you are over 90% you are playing with fire. The only person to blame here is yourself.

I'm not "blaming" anyone. And I understand that trimming and curtailing CPU usage is necessary. I'm simply stating that it's a bit annoying - but worth the trouble. And while "dangerous" maybe the wrong word, it refers to sonic danger on stage if I haven't taken the time to reprogram my usual presets since updating to 13.02, not physical danger. With all due respect.

I really do like what you've created, you know.

I also had it today. I thought my guitar jack was loose, checked and it was tight, checked for loose cables everything was secure. My CPU is 80 & below. It happened with 2 presets, very intermittent, but I'll get the look of death from our foh if it happens on stage.

I also had it today. I thought my guitar jack was loose, checked and it was tight, checked for loose cables everything was secure. My CPU is 80 & below. It happened with 2 presets, very intermittent, but I'll get the look of death from our foh if it happens on stage.

If it is only doing it with those two presets please post them and I will see if I can replicate it.

Response to Admin on crackling issue

With all due respect to the Admin at Fractal,I didn't change any presets before the upgrade to 13.02 and didn't have this issue before upgrading.As I previously stated my CPU usage on my largest preset is 79%,and nothing is clipping on the front panel.So to simply say its our fault when multiple people are having a similar issue is not what I would expect to hear when we are seeking help solving a problem that may or may not be the fault of the user.I am not running Ultrares or anything different from previous updates,my presets are the same as before updating,and I went to the extent of eliminating blocks making the presets smaller to see if this would make a difference and it didn't.Evertime upon startup regardless of which preset I am using I hear the crackling.After playing for awhile and switching through presets the crackling goes away.

With all due respect to the Admin at Fractal,I didn't change any presets before the upgrade to 13.02 and didn't have this issue before upgrading.As I previously stated my CPU usage on my largest preset is 79%,and nothing is clipping on the front panel.So to simply say its our fault when multiple people are having a similar issue is not what I would expect to hear when we are seeking help solving a problem that may or may not be the fault of the user.I am not running Ultrares or anything different from previous updates,my presets are the same as before updating,and I went to the extent of eliminating blocks making the presets smaller to see if this would make a difference and it didn't.Evertime upon startup regardless of which preset I am using I hear the crackling.After playing for awhile and switching through presets the crackling goes away.

I wasn't talking to you. I was talking to the guy complaining his presets were using too much CPU.

I recently updated to FW13.02 and ever since I get this crackling noise both from my guitar cabinets and FOH.I read the discussion about clipping etc and checked all my settings.My CPU usage is at 79% and I don't have any lights clipping on the front panel of the AxeFX2.I ran through several patches and upon startup they all crackle,after about 10 minutes or so of playing the crackling goes away.Never had this problem before,so I am stumped...any help is GREATLY appreciated.

What firmware did you upgrade from? Did you contact support? Are you using any other gear that may be causing the problem? Are the batteries fresh in your guitar/wireless/etc.? Did you run "Update All Presets" after updating? Can you post some sound samples and example presets?

I upgraded from the 12.beta to 13,and then 13.02.I just upgraded a few days ago and didn't know this would be a continuing issue so I have not contacted support yet.I have checked all my cables/connections,and put a new battery in the wireless so as to eliminate any problems caused by other gear.

Mine is doing it, too, in several presets. I upgraded from the previous version. I have it at home now, with my guitar direct into the input. My presets are all 82% CPU or below. I wasn't sure about it until I read this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I upgraded from the 12.beta to 13,and then 13.02.I just upgraded a few days ago and didn't know this would be a continuing issue so I have not contacted support yet.I have checked all my cables/connections,and put a new battery in the wireless so as to eliminate any problems caused by other gear.

We have no other reports of this.

You didn't answer my other questions.

Mine is doing it, too, in several presets. I upgraded from the previous version. I have it at home now, with my guitar direct into the input. My presets are all 82% CPU or below. I wasn't sure about it until I read this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Please post the presets. I can't do anything until I can replicate the problem. Piling on and saying "mine is doing it too" is absolutely no help.

I am running the AXEFX2 to FOH in stereo XLR,and running 1/4" out to 2 marshall cabs.I have a mission pedal,and the MFC101

Back
Top Bottom