Help running tracks in Logic through the AxeFx2, as an external FX unit

Philip34

Experienced
So, I've got some recorded tracks from other instruments and from guitars not recorded using AxeFx2. What I want to do is use the AxeFx as an FX unit, running "track x" out of Logic, through the AxeFx2, then back into Logic.

Can someone help me with configuring this?

you got an audio interface?

if it has multiple outputs, you could simply route those channels you want to effect to those outputs and cable them to the axe fx. run the axe back to another set of inputs to an aux track in logic

better...would be to create an aggregate device - so your audio interface and the axe are seen as one device by the mac (do this in "audio / midi setup"). logic will then see the ins and outs for your interface and the usb ins and outs for the axe, which you'll want to use to route the audio. if you're just using reverbs/delays etc, it might be worth using a bus as the output and running the fx in parallel to avoid any latency

Yes, the relevant portion of my rig:
- MacBook Pro 13
- Logic Pro X
- Behringer XR18 + X-Touch
- AxeFx2

if it has multiple outputs, you could simply route those channels you want to effect to those outputs and cable them to the axe fx. run the axe back to another set of inputs to an aux track in logic

better...would be to create an aggregate device - so your audio interface and the axe are seen as one device by the mac (do this in "audio / midi setup"). logic will then see the ins and outs for your interface and the usb ins and outs for the axe, which you'll want to use to route the audio. if you're just using reverbs/delays etc, it might be worth using a bus as the output and running the fx in parallel to avoid any latency

So, first suggestion: I would route said recorded guitar track from Logic to stereo Aux Outs on the XR18, and from there to the AxeFx2 Input 2, then from the AxeFx2 Out2 to stereo inputs on the XR18?

And second: how complicated is it to configure an aggregate device, and how reliable is it as a solution for me?

Another approach that I use (also requires an audio interface)...You'll need that interface to have 1 (or 2 if passing stereo material) inputs, and 2 outputs available to connect the Axe
* NOTE: cable as suggested above

You can insert an external effect (the Axe in this case for you; I use a Lexicon PCM-90 reverb) either in a TRACK as an INSERT, or on a BUS as an AUX SEND.

A similar approach could be used in any DAW that supports external hardware (or you could get creative with the DAW's I/O yourself)

IN LOGIC
  1. Go to the Channel/Bus you want to use (or create one)
  2. Go to that channel's AUDIO FX box and LEFT CLICK on the right hand side of the box and select UTILITY then IO then STEREO
  3. Setup the box that pops up with the inputs and outputs you want (that are connected to the Axe-FX)
  4. Voila - you now have a channel insert OR a buss send with the Axe-FX strapped across it
  5. PERFORMANCE TIP: If you just want to use the Axe-FX for its F/X (no amps/cabs), you probably want to set it up as an AUX SEND

Added bonus: No AGGREGATE device is required!

Sidenote: I use aggregate devices all the time. As long as you're strapping quality devices together (I use 2 x RME Fireface 800's and the Axe-FX as my aggregate device), it should work fine. Just make sure that you select the highest quality device as your CLOCK SOURCE when building the aggregate device. It's a big plus if they are all running at the same clock rate, but you can also tell the aggregate device to resample on the fly for devices that can't use the project's sample rate. Works amazingly well!

yep, plyall's solution is probably the best. i forgot about that solution. it's the most elegant

Another approach that I use (also requires an audio interface)...You'll need that interface to have 1 (or 2 if passing stereo material) inputs, and 2 outputs available to connect the Axe
* NOTE: cable as suggested above

You can insert an external effect (the Axe in this case for you; I use a Lexicon PCM-90 reverb) either in a TRACK as an INSERT, or on a BUS as an AUX SEND.

A similar approach could be used in any DAW that supports external hardware (or you could get creative with the DAW's I/O yourself)

IN LOGIC
  1. Go to the Channel/Bus you want to use (or create one)
  2. Go to that channel's AUDIO FX box and LEFT CLICK on the right hand side of the box and select UTILITY then IO then STEREO
  3. Setup the box that pops up with the inputs and outputs you want (that are connected to the Axe-FX)
  4. Voila - you now have a channel insert OR a buss send with the Axe-FX strapped across it
  5. PERFORMANCE TIP: If you just want to use the Axe-FX for its F/X (no amps/cabs), you probably want to set it up as an AUX SEND

Added bonus: No AGGREGATE device is required!

Sidenote: I use aggregate devices all the time. As long as you're strapping quality devices together (I use 2 x RME Fireface 800's and the Axe-FX as my aggregate device), it should work fine. Just make sure that you select the highest quality device as your CLOCK SOURCE when building the aggregate device. It's a big plus if they are all running at the same clock rate, but you can also tell the aggregate device to resample on the fly for devices that can't use the project's sample rate. Works amazingly well!

That's exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!

Thanks, Simeon as well, for the aggregate device idea, but I think I'm gonna start with the AxeFx as an Aux Send into a bus in Logic.

Back
Top Bottom