Help recreating John Mayer Fractal sound

I started with a Band Commander amp, added a drive (TS808) and a little extra boost on the input (footswitchable). Reverb and Delay to taste. Guitar/Pickup choice is pretty important for his sound. I can get a pretty cool burning room type sound out of it. I've also got a preset that is based on the matchless and I can get pretty close with that. He's got a pretty generic sound.

I started with a Band Commander amp, added a drive (TS808) and a little extra boost on the input (footswitchable). Reverb and Delay to taste. Guitar/Pickup choice is pretty important for his sound. I can get a pretty cool burning room type sound out of it. I've also got a preset that is based on the matchless and I can get pretty close with that. He's got a pretty generic sound.
what cab IR are you utilizing with the band commander amp?

Reactions: HIO
That was awesome!!

I like that combination a lot very mayerish! Now I need a axefx3 for me to run 3 cabs haha
I read some old thread about him using a combo of Celestion Gold and H65 loaded cabs, so I just loaded those up.
Don't really need the three - I was just trying diff things and decided that was good enough and went for it. :)

what cab IR are you utilizing with the band commander amp?
right now, i am digging the 2x15 doubleshow rw cab. This is with a Ultra Tele, neck pickup, running a Behringer XR18 to JBL 305's. XR18's EQ is flat except a LF rolloff from 120 down. No compression or gate on the channel. No effects from the mixer.

Attachments

• Tele Blues.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I was watching this video John did on Instagram and he mentions he is using a fractal. Anyone have some ideas how to recreate this sound ?

just stumbled upon this thread. Started out interested in getting the "sound" but more captivated by watching this video and getting a window into his playing and creative process. Gold

In the latest Guitar World issue there is an interview with John Mayer and he actually mentioned that he used some Fractal gear on his latest album "Sob Rock".
The question is referencing to the song "Wild Blue" and he probably used the factory preset "Studio Clean".

Thought this is an interesting tidbit.... :)

1628511555271.png

Back
Top Bottom