HELP Please, I have broken the edit out connector on my Fractal.

Dixiethedog

Experienced
What a day I am having. LOL.
I have had a bit of a wobbly time trying to get amps or monitors set up, so the other day I thought "let's buy a load of new cables", which all arrived today. Great I thought as I dragged two amps out to plug in. I plugged leads in, connected my lap top to the edit thing from the rear of the unit (Printer cable to USB) (I think?) and noticed a bit of an dodgy connection with axe edit going on and off on my laptop. I plugged/unplugged/plugged the cable in and out and heard a click. Hmm.. I don't like the sound of that, and sure enough the square bit of the connector internally (as looked from the rear) has snapped off. I then thought %^&*$£". And put the kettle on.
So I don't have a working connection to axe edit.
Do I need to contact Fractal to ask about a repair of can I (perhaps) go to a computer shop/printer repair shop and have them look at it, or is it something that can be done DIY?
I am lost without my axe edit, please any helpful comment very much appreciated.

Brett

PS it is an AX8.

Depending on how easy it is to get to and how the USB B is connected to the PCB (not familiar with AX8) will determine the ease of repair. It doesn’t seem like you are familiar with this type of work. I wouldn’t take it to a computer repair shop. If you know of a trusted electronic repair person that could be a possibility.

However, I would recommend calling Fractal support for advice and repair cost. Especially if you live in the States.

I am guessing that @Dixiethedog is from the UK. so perhaps G66 tech support can help…don’t feel alone, I have personally had more than a couple of musical electronics with USB-B that failed , both Fractal , Moog, and Linnstrument that I can remember, there may be more…USB -B was never originally designed for these type of connections and are very prone to breaking under even the lightest of strain.

Thank you @GitGuy513 and @bradlake for your comments. Yes, bradlake I am in the UK.

I have actually found a video showing how to repair the exact same fault on YouTube by a gent by the name of Nash Ville (are you on here Sir?).
I am more mechanically minded rather than electronically so may farm the job out. I used to be the manufacturing process technician for an electronics company complete with various City & Guilds qualifications in electronics but it is that long ago now that I would hardly remember how to even hold a soldering iron. With something as precious as my AX8 it would be better safe than sorry by asking a pro for help.
Luckily (perhaps) the G66 International all round good guy and distributor ZenRigs man is only a 15-20 minute drive from my house so I will PM him to seek the best advice.
Thank you once again.
Brett

Thank you @GitGuy513 and @bradlake for your comments. Yes, bradlake I am in the UK.

I have actually found a video showing how to repair the exact same fault on YouTube by a gent by the name of Nash Ville (are you on here Sir?).
I am more mechanically minded rather than electronically so may farm the job out. I used to be the manufacturing process technician for an electronics company complete with various City & Guilds qualifications in electronics but it is that long ago now that I would hardly remember how to even hold a soldering iron. With something as precious as my AX8 it would be better safe than sorry by asking a pro for help.
Luckily (perhaps) the G66 International all round good guy and distributor ZenRigs man is only a 15-20 minute drive from my house so I will PM him to seek the best advice.
Thank you once again.
Brett
Wow, that is an excellent video. Definitely letting the G66 guy do the repair would be optimal considering how close you live.

I would like to add a quick thank you to Sukh ( @ZenRigs Man ), who kindly offered to introduce me to the G66 UK repair person in bonny Scotland.
With the USB output just being a minor job I have decided to just stay local for what I hope is an easy fix.
But Fractal Audio can rest assured that their G66 International distributor's service is second to none and in perfect hands. Thanks again Sukh.

I would like to add a quick thank you to Sukh ( @ZenRigs Man ), who kindly offered to introduce me to the G66 UK repair person in bonny Scotland.
With the USB output just being a minor job I have decided to just stay local for what I hope is an easy fix.
But Fractal Audio can rest assured that their G66 International distributor's service is second to none and in perfect hands. Thanks again Sukh.
As long as you get sorted mate, that's the main thing. You know where I am if you need me to introduce you to our excellent service centre here :)

I just had this happen to my AX8 recently, twice. I saw the video posted and decided not to send it to Fractal after getting a repair ticket but to try myself.

If you have soldering skills it is simple. 10 pack of USB B female from Amazon was $6.

Take your time, desolder cleanly and use flux and a clean soldering tip and it will go well.

I bought a 90 degree USB B Male to USB B Female adapter. It is plugged in and held on to the body of the AX8 with the plastic thing you put under pedal boards to hold the wires to hopefully never break again. I simply plug my USB into the the other end.

Amazon product ASIN B01LPBIGBW
Amazon product ASIN B07F6L1DHR
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerc...nting-Base-Natural-10-Pack-HW-4A-10/203531944 (In Black)

When I get home I’ll post a pic of the way I’m securing it

I just had this happen to my AX8 recently, twice. I saw the video posted and decided not to send it to Fractal after getting a repair ticket but to try myself.

If you have soldering skills it is simple. 10 pack of USB B female from Amazon was $6.

Take your time, desolder cleanly and use flux and a clean soldering tip and it will go well.

I bought a 90 degree USB B Male to USB B Female adapter. It is plugged in and held on to the body of the AX8 with the plastic thing you put under pedal boards to hold the wires to hopefully never break again. I simply plug my USB into the the other end.

Amazon product ASIN B01LPBIGBW
Amazon product ASIN B07F6L1DHR
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerc...nting-Base-Natural-10-Pack-HW-4A-10/203531944 (In Black)

When I get home I’ll post a pic of the way I’m securing it
Hi, thank you @Pauly 6 String ,
What you have suggested is exactly what I have done pretty much. I ordered a 10 pack of USB's, my friend who is a pro PC repair man has a lovely soldering station. I have not yet bought the adapter that you suggest but I will do that once I finish typing this! Thank you for your useful advice.
Brett

Just as a bit of a foot note to @Pauly 6 String 's comment about the USB breaking twice and reading the comments on the YT AX8 USB repair video it makes me think that the USB is a bit of a weak link in some Fractal units. Fingers crossed for an easy fix though.

Just as a bit of a foot note to @Pauly 6 String 's comment about the USB breaking twice and reading the comments on the YT AX8 USB repair video it makes me think that the USB is a bit of a weak link in some Fractal units. Fingers crossed for an easy fix though.
Hey, @Dixiethedog,
I felt likewise and added a Temple Audio Micro Punch Plate and a Neutrik Genderchanger USB A / USB B adapter that connects via a USB B > USB A 1' cable to my Duo 24 board. The Neutrik arrives standard, and you just reverse the direction the port is accessed with alignment screws. Feeding the cable thru an access hole and under the board makes it easier to connect to the Neutrik on the side.

Once your USB B port is repaired, this might protect and save you needless effort.

Amazon product ASIN B003VSXQVI

Hey, @Dixiethedog,
I felt likewise and added a Temple Audio Micro Punch Plate and a Neutrik Genderchanger USB A / USB B adapter that connects via a USB B > USB A 1' cable to my Duo 24 board. The Neutrik arrives standard, and you just reverse the direction the port is accessed with alignment screws. Feeding the cable thru an access hole and under the board makes it easier to connect to the Neutrik on the side.

Once your USB B port is repaired, this might protect and save you needless effort.

This ^^

I always install a little patch panel on my pedalboards, with Neutrik power / MIDI / USB connectors for exactly this reason: they are sacrificial. In the event someone steps on the connector to the pedalboard and damages it, I can always plug directly into the unit until I've replaced the outboard jack. I do the same thing on the back of the rack where my AxeFX III lives; everything is routed to a patch panel so that I minimize wear on the unit's connectors, and any misadventures are limited to that patch panel, rather than the gear in the rack.

Hey, @Dixiethedog,

Thank you @bleujazz3 for your comment. I was not aware that this type of connection was available so I will check it out.

I feel that with a floor unit that gets torn down for gigging having a delicate USB port and cable hanging out is prone to injury. Unlike a rack mounted unit which gets plugged in once. I used the MIDI port for gigs until I fixed it but not having Axe Edit would have been devastating.

Just an update. We stripped the AX8 down as per the video and my friend unsoldered the old USB from the board. But 3 of the 4 pins unsoldered easily whilst one was a complete pain to get out. My PC repair man friend thought that it had been fitted heavily let's say during manufacture. I bought a pack of 10 USB's from the internet and one was fitted. Unit back together and nothing. No USB output yet no visible damage to the board and only the bare minimum of heat used for de-soldering and then new soldering connections. With one pin being "tricky" to remove the 10 minute job turned into a 2-3 hour job. Time ran out that day, so one day this week it will all come to pieces yet again.
I have been teaching myself how to modify/change and edit from the front panel, but what a ball ache that is.
I feel like I am clutching at straws hoping that one of the very mass produced USB's that I bought was a dud,one that never should have passed a quality inspection, but I don't think that I will be that lucky.
I do feel that Fractal have been using USB that are not up to the job having seen mentions of them failing online. It is a pity that I am out of warranty as I think it will become expensive. Thru no fault of my own. If it does, what do I do? I have been checking out s/h ads for Fractal Audio gear but the truth is, at the moment I can't afford to buy anything else.
I feel a blues in Am coming on.....

Those 4 pins are very small and close together. Make sure the solder is not shorting pins. Maybe solder joints need to be redone.

Also pic added of my cord retainer

Good luck

Attachments

• IMG_5595.jpeg
    IMG_5595.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
Back
Top Bottom