Help on setting up and maintaining floyd rose guitar?

My truss rod is very stiff, need to exert some pressure just to get it to budge. is this normal? i see videos of truss rod being so easy to turn even a baby can do it.. my 5 year old can't turn my truss rod
If you have to go full gorilla on it to get it to move, you should probably have it looked at. If it's just a bit stiff, it's probably not an issue.

If your truss rod is single-acting, you'll be able to loosen the truss rod nut completely. If so, loosen it all the way, and remove it. Put a drop of machine oil on the nut's threads, and screw it back on. That often makes a big difference.

The only thing I dont like about those is all the pressure going on the threads of the string block bolts. Maybe its insignificant amount but it still makes me reluctant. Might give it a go though.
I'm able to place it so the pressure is on the base plate not the bolts.

Here is the procedure i am thinking of doing. Please advise

• with the guitar tuned to pitch, use music nomad f one oil, apply on the old strings and rosewood fingerboard
  • with a kitchen towel, wipe the oil over the rosewood fb, over and under the old strings
  • let the oil sit for 2-3 min
-with the dry side of the kitchen towel, wipe off the oil on the fb, on and under the the old strings
  • open a new pack of strings, start changing out the old strings with new strings starting from the low e. One string at a time. 1st, take off the old low e string and again wipe off the rosewood fb with a towel and then attach the new fresh low e string. Repeat for the remaining strings.
  • tune and retune the guitar until the guitar is in pitch
Next
- with the guitar now with fresh strings tune to pitch, fret the 1st fret and the 17th fret and check the gap at the top of the 8th fret to the bottom of the low e string. If there is 0 gap and the string is touching the fret..take the truss rod tool included with the guitar and insert into truss rod at the headstock and turn counterclockwise slowly and carefully.no more than a quarter turn. Wait a day for the neck to adjust before turning further. If the gap is too wide. Clock wise turn on truss rod. Again no more than a quarter turn and wait a day before turning further. The gap you are looking for is the smallest gap you can visually see..as long as there is something there.

wipe down the guitar and strings and pickups with a microfibrr clothe and done. Again this is just for maintaining and setting up a guitar with the same gauge strings and tuning.. please advise if i miss any thing or steps? What else should i be doing? What about lubricating the nut?

thanks
Is there an issue with this procedure.any steps i am missin

• with the guitar tuned to pitch, use music nomad f one oil, apply on the old strings and rosewood fingerboard
  • with a kitchen towel, wipe the oil over the rosewood fb, over and under the old strings
-with the dry side of the kitchen towel, wipe off the oil on the fb, on and under the the old strings
  • open a new pack of strings, start changing out the old strings with new strings starting from the low e. One string at a time. 1st, take off the old low e string and again wipe off the rosewood fb with a towel and then attach the new fresh low e string. Repeat for the remaining strings.
Next
- with the guitar now with fresh strings tune to pitch, fret the 1st fret and the 17th fret and check the gap at the top of the 8th fret to the bottom of the low e string. If there is 0 gap and the string is touching the fret..take the truss rod tool included with the guitar and insert into truss rod at the headstock and turn counterclockwise slowly and carefully.no more than a quarter turn. Wait a day for the neck to adjust before turning further. If the gap is too wide. Clock wise turn on truss rod. Again no more than a quarter turn and wait a day before turning further. The gap you are looking for is the smallest gap you can visually see..as long as there is something there.

wipe down the guitar and strings and pickups with a microfibrr clothe and done. Again this is just for maintaining and setting up a guitar with the same gauge strings and tuning.. please advise if i miss any thing or steps? What else should i be doing? What about lubricating the nut?

Are we good to proceed?

Next

Are we good to proceed?
Sounds like a good plan. However, I've never waited a day between trussrod adjustments. I just set it how I like it. If the relief changes due to temperature, humidity, etc, then I adjust for that as needed.

Sounds like a good plan. However, I've never waited a day between trussrod adjustments. I just set it how I like it. If the relief changes due to temperature, humidity, etc, then I adjust for that as needed.
Do you do anything different when you setup/maintain your guitars? what oil/lotion/fabric softner/detergent/sauce and cloth/etc do you use?

I've never waited a day between trussrod adjustments
A day is a lot, however turning it and expecting the neck to react immediately is not always realistic and could risk damage as you might further tighten a truss rod that has not had time to react to an initial tightening. Most of my guitars need at least a few minutes but I've heard of some that need hours.

Do you do anything different when you setup/maintain your guitars? what oil/lotion/fabric softner/detergent/sauce and cloth/etc do you use?
I use Dr. Duck's Ax Wax on the fretboard, for rosewood, ebony, Pau Ferro, etc.

I take all the strings off when putting on new strings. For guitars with a floating bridge, I use a TremBlock from ShredNeck to keep the bridge in place. I've also improvised a TremBlock with a piece of cardboard - something that won't hurt the finish.

Lots of great advice on this thread from very experienced folks - moreover than I.

Last edited:
A day is a lot, however turning it and expecting the neck to react immediately is not always realistic and could risk damage as you might further tighten a truss rod that has not had time to react to an initial tightening. Most of my guitars need at least a few minutes but I've heard of some that need hours.
Good points! It doesn't hurt to be cautious.

Next

Are we good to proceed?
This is exactly the same post that you made yesterday (post #39). My response is the same as yesterday’s response (post #40).

At this point, I have to wonder what you’re really waiting for...

Last edited:
I meant turn once.. and then the next day if further adjustments are needed turn again. is this dangerous?

I use Dr. Duck's Ax Wax on the fretboard, for rosewood, ebony, Pau Ferro, etc.

I take all the strings off when putting on new strings. For guitars with a floating bridge, I use a TremBlock from ShredNeck to keep the bridge in place. I've also improvised a TremBlock with a piece of cardboard - something that won't hurt the finish.

Lots of great advice on this thread from very experienced folks - moreover than I.
How do you use the tremblock? pick? what do you do exactly? how does it work

Back
Top Bottom