Help - New to AX8 - FX Loop

Musicroom

I've had the AX8 for about a week and getting a lot of great sounds. Reading the manual, watching videos. Getting familiar enough to use it for worship service this week.

Big hurdle - I can't get my outboard RV6 (shimmer) sounding right. It's weak sounding and overall the tone I'm used to when I ran this pedal in the fx loop of the AF12 sounded great. The manual didn't seem to help much so I'm turning to the forum. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Something step by step if someone here doesn't mind.

Thanks so much!
Dave

Sounds like it's not gain staged right. The other thing to check is the mix in the loop other than that I'm not much help as I don't run outboard effects in my AX8.

The Boss RV-6 in and outs are set to -20dBu nominally, so I would suspect that your problem might have something to do with that. I'd make sure that Output 2 is set to 0dB, its lowest value, and I'd turn down the FX loop channel to somewhere around -20dB to send -20dB to the FX send. I'd also check to see that Input2 is set at -10dB. Then, either put a GEQ after the FXLoop or use the output mixer to boost the signal by 10dB depending on where it is on the grid. You might have to play with the in and out levels a bit, there is a wide range in nominal. Just because it says -20dBu in the manual, doesn't mean it operates that way precisely.

It's too bad that you can't run it in parallel, but the effects volume all the way up doesn't kill the dry signal. So,you might get phase cancellations of the dry signals due to different path lengths between the FX and RV-6 that would make it sound even thinner. Boss products tend to steal tone even when they are bypassed.

Last edited:
The Boss RV-6 in and outs are set to -20dBu nominally, so I would suspect that your problem might have something to do with that. I'd make sure that Output 2 is set to 0dB, its lowest value, and I'd turn down the FX loop channel to somewhere around -20dB to send -20dB to the FX send. I'd also check to see that Input2 is set at -10dB. Then, either put a GEQ after the FXLoop or use the output mixer to boost the signal by 10dB depending on where it is on the grid. You might have to play with the in and out levels a bit, there is a wide range in nominal. Just because it says -20dBu in the manual, doesn't mean it operates that way precisely.

It's too bad that you can't run it in parallel, but the effects volume all the way up doesn't kill the dry signal. So,you might get phase cancellations of the dry signals due to different path lengths between the FX and RV-6 that would make it sound even thinner. Boss products tend to steal tone even when they are bypassed.

Okay, this might be getting close explaining what I'm experiencing. Hmmmmm Did not know this about the Boss RV-6.

I did set Input2 at -10dB last night with some improvement. No matter what setting used the LED clip lights were occasionally flashing which seemed odd since I was hearing a weak and poor sounding signal.

Do you know if it matters where in the chain I insert the FX Loop (pre-cab/post-cab)?

Have you edited the FX Loop block and adjusted the appropriate LVL knob on the Send page?

It’s hard to know what might be up without hearing what you’re hearing, and having your preset and the pedal in front of me to work with.

Thanks Rex - I wish the manual gave a little step by step in this. I must be missing something glaringly obvious to someone else.

Thanks Rex - I wish the manual gave a little step by step in this.
it's pretty straight forward. Out 2 to pedal input, pedal output to In 2.

share the preset as rex suggested, so we have a starting point instead of guessing.

it's pretty straight forward. Out 2 to pedal input, pedal output to In 2.

Okay - I will get one posted soon. Thanks

PS - with the instructions you posted - I assume it's plug and play no adjustments and success. I should be so lucky. :)

i don't understand: did you not connect it how i mentioned?

I did when I first connected the RV-6 pedal - and double checked the connections again last night to verify after getting a weaker sound than expected. I do appreciate you starting at the beginning for troubleshooting to help me spot what / where I'm doing something wrong. This has to be operator error.

I'm at work now and can't try anything until tomorrow (rehearsal tonight). Q - Does is matter where the FX Loop is placed in the chain? ie: after amp block, before cab block? Input 1 or Input 2 (grid row)? Maybe that is where I'm messing this up.

Does is matter where the FX Loop is placed in the chain? ie: after amp block, before cab block? Input 1 or Input 2 (grid row)? Maybe that is where I'm messing this up.
hmm, for basics of connection, not really. placement affects what gets sent to the pedal - after the amp and cab, the pedal adds the effect to the amp and cab sound, etc.

not sure what "input 1 or input 2 (grid row)" means. all rows in the Layout are connected to Input 1 - the huge INPUT block on the far left.

the FX Loop block IS Input 2.

Back
Top Bottom