HELP!! MFC & AXE II NOT COMMUNICATING?

larbear63

Inspired
hey guys, i updated my mfc101 & did the factory reset.
i plugged into the axeII via ethernet cable.
the mfc powers on, but it does not respond to the axe.
the display reads "axe-fx name time out"
help me please :)
nevermind. found it.

Last edited:
Once you done the factory reset (described above) you will need to go into EDIT, SETUP and set AxeFX MODE = II, then EDIT, MIDI and set port to EXPANSION.

I've updated my firmware to 1.02. I've done the factory reset. I've plugged in my MFC-101 to my Axe-Fx II via an Ethernet cable. I've edited the Setup to mode = II and edited the Midi to port to Expansion--and still I get the name timeout! Any ideas?

I've updated my firmware to 1.02. I've done the factory reset. I've plugged in my MFC-101 to my Axe-Fx II via an Ethernet cable. I've edited the Setup to mode = II and edited the Midi to port to Expansion--and still I get the name timeout! Any ideas?
Power cylce the Axe-II? Try a different cat-5 cable ??

daruking I'm getting the same result- my Axe2 is not syncing with the MFC, I have latest downloads for Axe 2 and MFC, I've done "EXPANSION" and "II", the numbers are coinciding but there is a second delay in switching and no patch name is seen just 005 or 003, then AXE-FX NAME TIMeOUT ... I have 3 ethernet cables sitting in front of me, 2 brand new one is 4' and one is 15', nothing seems to make a difference UNTIL... I set EXPANSION to MIDI and hook up a midi cable and power my MFC with the wall-wart, then everything seems to be working fine.... AAARGH!

daruking I'm getting the same result- my Axe2 is not syncing with the MFC, I have latest downloads for Axe 2 and MFC, I've done "EXPANSION" and "II", the numbers are coinciding but there is a second delay in switching and no patch name is seen just 005 or 003, then AXE-FX NAME TIMeOUT ... I have 3 ethernet cables sitting in front of me, 2 brand new one is 4' and one is 15', nothing seems to make a difference UNTIL... I set EXPANSION to MIDI and hook up a midi cable and power my MFC with the wall-wart, then everything seems to be working fine.... AAARGH!
So MFC firmware = 1.02 and AxeII firmware = 1.04 ?

Once you done the factory reset (described above) you will need to go into EDIT, SETUP and set AxeFX MODE = II, then EDIT, MIDI and set port to EXPANSION.

I had the same issues and the last step of s0c9's instructions solved the problem.

I had the same issues last night, MFC 1.02, AxeII 1.04, 20' cat-5 cable. After about an hour of playing, I noticed my tap tempo light on the MFC stopped blinking, then my patch started sounding funny, like the wah had been engaged and was being tweaked VERY slowly (except I hadn't engaged it).

After that, I got the "Sync Timeout" and "Name Timeout" errors. Tried rebooting, unplugging cables, etc. The only thing that seemed to do the trick was unplugging the cable from the back of the AxeII and plugging back in.

I had timeout issues...connected the Axe Fx II to MFC via midi works fine..then connected it back via ethernet...no more timeout issues...upgraded latest firmware...awesome...

What is the length of your Ethernet cable? Try a very short one and let us know.

Last edited:
I had timeout issues...connected the Axe Fx II to MFC via midi works fine..then connected it back via ethernet...no more timeout issues...upgraded latest firmware...awesome...
I have the same issues. I have tried everything: firmware updates to latest versions, different CAT5 cables, including short ones, power cycling, etc. I have tried EVERYTHING I could find here over three days and nothing! Just the Name Timeout message.

Ever since updating my Axe-Fx II firmware to v3.02, I am getting this error. Preset changes do work via the MFC-101, however.

I have mode:II and port:Expansion and have tried using various cables, some crossover and some not.... "AXE-FX NAME TIMEOUT!".

I sent my MFC back to Fractal. Hopefully, it is the one that has something wrong with it and not my new Axe-FX II.

Damn. Doing that from my location would get quite costly. Please try and get the solution out of Fractal once you get your unit back and let us know what it was. Perhaps me, and any others in our shoes could just order the faulty component and fix it ourselves.

Back
Top Bottom