help me with this funk progression chords ?

openmind

Inspired
Hey guys ... jsut start a funk kind of band here ... and we are covering this song ... I m becoming like crazy to find out what chords are in the bridge of this song ... I can find the nice chords .. I know what the bass is doing, but I m not info funk so not sure what kind of chords are this ... anyone ? .... btw I didnt know this band but its amazing !!! love it

just had some free time, try this
Cheers ;)

well_run_dry_zps6d0d59c4.png

My old friend Sheldon Allen was the drummer with Phat Phunktion back in the days of the Higher Ground CD. Could not tell from the video if that is Sheldon or not. Lost touch with him a while ago. That band is phunky to the core.

Hi all,

I am also searching for the chords. Is there a way you can share the link again? Seems that the above isn't working anymore.

Cheers,
Jos

Try using Transcribe. You can convert from YouTube to MP3, then open in transcribe, slow it down and freeze on a chord, the software will make a guess on the notes and chords. I find it much more rewarding to do it this way and many times you will discover that internet tab is wrong quite often.

Hi all,

I am also searching for the chords. Is there a way you can share the link again? Seems that the above isn't working anymore.

Cheers,
Jos

Google "Well Run Dry Chords"

It finds a few versions with the chords. Not sure about the exact tab for the fills but it sounds like the fills are off the chord forms.

Try using Transcribe. You can convert from YouTube to MP3, then open in transcribe, slow it down and freeze on a chord, the software will make a guess on the notes and chords. I find it much more rewarding to do it this way and many times you will discover that internet tab is wrong quite often.
I'll give that a try, thanks!

Cool band. Definitely EWF and ToP influenced. Guitar player needs thicker strings, his solo tone is weak as a result.

Got to see them play a few years ago up in WI. As mentioned, my friend Sheldon Allen was the drummer. I was visiting Sheldon and they had a gig, so I was invited to go. They are a smokin' band live.

Hey guys ... jsut start a funk kind of band here ... and we are covering this song ... I m becoming like crazy to find out what chords are in the bridge of this song ... I can find the nice chords .. I know what the bass is doing, but I m not info funk so not sure what kind of chords are this ... anyone ? .... btw I didnt know this band but its amazing !!! love it

Sounds like:
E7 Dmaj9/F# G7sus4 A7sus4 B7sus4
to me.
The rhythm is different the 2nd iteration of it, but I think the changes are the same.

These kinds of harmonies can be lifted easier if you have a method to the madness.

1. Figure out the bass line.

2. Figure out the melody.

3. If you can't hear the chords intuitively yet then start fishing around for some chords that work with that note on the bottom and that note on top.
Try a major triad.
Does it sound like the same chord quality you're hearing on the recording?
If not then try a minor triad then a dim triad then an aug triad then a sus4 tricord then a sus2 tricord then a susb2 tricord and even a maj(b5) tricord.
After that, start listening for any 7ths (or 6ths) and then any extensions.
Don't worry at first if you've got the right voicing of the chord.
Just get the colour.
You can fish around for voicings and/or grips later.
And if it's a keyboard voicing (or a chord voiced across several horns) you're lifting, you might not be able to play it on guitar anyway.

I realize that this is an ancient thread but I hope my comments are still helpful to someone out there.

Sounds like:
E7 Dmaj9/F# G7sus4 A7sus4 B7sus4
to me.
The rhythm is different the 2nd iteration of it, but I think the changes are the same.

These kinds of harmonies can be lifted easier if you have a method to the madness.

1. Figure out the bass line.

2. Figure out the melody.

3. If you can't hear the chords intuitively yet then start fishing around for some chords that work with that note on the bottom and that note on top.
Try a major triad.
Does it sound like the same chord quality you're hearing on the recording?
If not then try a minor triad then a dim triad then an aug triad then a sus4 tricord then a sus2 tricord then a susb2 tricord and even a maj(b5) tricord.
After that, start listening for any 7ths (or 6ths) and then any extensions.
Don't worry at first if you've got the right voicing of the chord.
Just get the colour.
You can fish around for voicings and/or grips later.
And if it's a keyboard voicing (or a chord voiced across several horns) you're lifting, you might not be able to play it on guitar anyway.

I realize that this is an ancient thread but I hope my comments are still helpful to someone out there.

Thanks man! This brings me a lot further!

Back
Top Bottom