Help me chose my PRS

Thanks Ian really appreciate. I will check his web shop. Yes, unfortunately in this part of the pound PRS more expensive than in the US. Unfortunately NAMM has been moved to June so I can not come as usual, otherwise I would have visited LA shops for that.

Used PRS is the way to go IMHO. But I live in the USA so the used PRS market is choc-o-bloc with great deals on essentially new guitars. Not sure what it'd be like on the other side of the pond.
Yep. I picked up a mint 2005 CE-24 for $1,000. Replaced the HFS/VB with a set of 57/08’s and couldn’t be happier. It’s my #1.

Search the used market. Plenty of Blues Lawyers out there selling off their un-played collection. 😂

Just to mention CE models have bolt on necks. S2 models less body sculpting USA built with cheaper hardware. PRS guitar quality and playability are great across all the models including most SE models. I have a $299 SE Standard with a pickup swap that plays and sounds Just as good as my USA Custom 24 FR. Ive only bought one PRS that wasn't up to my expectations and that was an SE Terror model with Floyd Rose tremolo. Seemed like they just took an off the line guitar and haphazardly threw a Floyd Rose on it, Main issue was radios of the neck vis much flatter FR nutt. Same issue on the bridge side, no shims under the saddles to make the radius match the neck.

The LOOK! naturally with PRS if you want a guitar that looks awesome your going to pay. Book match of maple tops in my opinion is shit till you get into the wood library category which is kind a crappy way of doing things but I guess that's what it takes to get someone to pay 10 grand for a guitar.
$299 is a good price for an SE Standard.

PS. I'm going to order also a SE Zach Myers Semi-Hollow Body (found one for 800€); never had a hollow or semi-hollow guitar so.... any tips on this too?

The big 5-0. Congrats on getting this far!

The Zach Myers I haven’t played but make sure you play a 245 before ordering. The necks are big. I have soap bar SE245. PRS calls it wide fat but it’s bigger than my wide fat from mid 2000’s. Took a day but I really like everything about the 245 now and probably will get another one.

The PRS trem is great. You can actually use it and stay tuned pretty well. Have a fun search! Looking at guitars when you have cash for a buy is a good time for sure.

Between those two, here are probably the biggest differences that might not be obvious to you:

- The S2 has the imported pickups, the CE has the USA-made. I do think the USA-made pups sound a little better (I still have two S2s and had a Core CU24 for a while with those two different pups). They had more "clarity" to them.

- The S2 has pattern regular neck, that CE has pattern thin. I like the pattern thin quite a bit better (I also have an S2 McCarty Thinline which is the only S2 (I think) that has pattern thin). Pattern regular is quite a bit more beefy.

- The S2s have the body bevel. I like that, makes it really comfortable to play.

I never had a CE so I don't know about high-fret access on those bolt-on necks, but the S2 Custom 24 has very easy access to the high frets.

Hardware wise and build-quality, S2s are top-notch, that includes the tuners, electronics, and the trem (I have three of them).

I think the difference between pattern thin and pattern regular is small but noticeable. if you compare side by side. And not all pattern thin necks and pattern regular necks will be the exact same either.

OP, if possible it's best to go try some guitars out before spending the cash, unless you're comfortable shipping back to the dealer.

All considered, in your position I would get the Zach Meyer, and then get a SE24 (for about $1k). Play them for a couple of months and see which one you really like, and then save a bit more money (would not take much more) to get a Core model of the one you like most! I am intending on doing something similar for my next PRS. I am going to "try" a Vela, a Paul's guitar and a McCarty 594. Very difficult for me to try anything in person ;~)) I currently have a McCarty 594 Hollowbody II Wood Library, a Core CU24 and a Private Stock CU24. BTW, Wood Library gits from PRS are not in the $10k range, that is Private Stock range. WL's are usually around $1-$2K more than the core model it is based on and also dependent on how it got pimped out. WL's are dealer spec'd guitars of core models and the dealers have to order them in quantities of 10 from what I understand!

Congrats on your 50th!

If you buy a Zach Meyers online make sure you see pics of the actual guitar. I’ve been watching these on Reverb. They do some odd stuff, like book matched veneer where one side shows a lot of figure and the other not so much. On the back, you’ll see 2 piece bodies but some are very unmatched with the joint placed wherever it landed. Otherwise for the price they look great. I might get one myself. Waiting for some more colors.

I think the difference between pattern thin and pattern regular is small but noticeable.

My Custom 24 has Pattern Thin.
My Studio has Pattern.
Pretty big difference, IMHO.

Both play really well and fit in my hand well, but the Studio feels a bit more like a Les Paul and the Custom feels a bit more modern.

Not sure what the name is for the neck on my SE Standard 24, but if I had gone to the factory in Maryland and had them keep giving me guitars to try, this shape is the one I would pick. It is really close to the Custom 24's shape, but subtly different and just a bit nicer. It feels slightly rounder on the back side, and just fits perfectly....

An S2 is also a solid guitar. Only reason to go CE is if you want bolt on + maple neck.

My s2 displaced a core custom 22.

Clearly there are a number of reasons to choose a CE. That being said, PRS makes great guitars. Any PRS is a great gift for a 50th birthday celebration! Congrats Diego!!!

Back
Top Bottom