Help making Floyd Rose Flutter FX with Axe-Fx II

GotMetalBoy

Power User
Anyone know how to program a Floyd Rose Flutter FX with the Axe-Fx II?

I came up with this idea just a few minutes ago when I replied to this post: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/loung...lock-my-floyd-rose-tremolo-2.html#post1045618

I have used Yek's Automated "dive bomb" with pretty good results and have also modified the settings to do bar pull ups:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ultra-std-preset-exchange/25228-automated-dive-bomb.html#post393222
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Pitch_block#Pitch:_dive_bomb

I have used the Pitch Block with my expression pedals to simulate dive bombs and pull ups too but I think it would be really cool if I could simulate Flutter.

Any Ideas?

Last edited:
This might be hard to accomplish digitally. As far as I know the flutter comes from pushing or pulling the bar and letting it go very hard. This violently makes the bridge go up and down with the spring vs string tension. Steve Vai does this and often breaks bridges. You would have to make a pitch shifter modulate rapidly flat and sharp from your pitch.

We cannot intermodulate LFO's, so I'd start with the sequencer, programming alternate shifts (up and down) that get smaller and smaller.

This might be hard to accomplish digitally. As far as I know the flutter comes from pushing or pulling the bar and letting it go very hard. This violently makes the bridge go up and down with the spring vs string tension. Steve Vai does this and often breaks bridges. You would have to make a pitch shifter modulate rapidly flat and sharp from your pitch.

Maybe we're talking about two different things, but I can get a flutter effect by flicking the bar with my pinkie finger.

IMO, the springs have a lot to do with it. In the songs "intruder" and "everybody wants some" EVH made audible tones with just the springs. If I am right than the flutter effect might be a lot more complicated than quick pitch shift effect up and down.

Maybe we're talking about two different things, but I can get a flutter effect by flicking the bar with my pinkie finger.

No, same thing. It depends on what vibrato system you have, how tight the bar is and how much flutter you want.

I think it would be next to impossible to break the bridge no matter how hard you do this... Now, you might break the trem bar, or even the socket...

I do this a lot and the real trick I have found is the "speed" at which the bar is (dis-)engaged as opposed to the "violence" exerted against it.

Another way to do this without ever touching the trem is to bang on the guitar body. You can hear Brad Gillis doing this all over Ozzy's Speak of the Devil album. Check YouTube - I saw this in a video or would have had no idea he was doing it that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it would be next to impossible to break the bridge no matter how hard you do this... Now, you might break the trem bar, or even the socket...

No kidding. I think the studs would come out or bust the wood before the bridge itself broke. I have seen this happen back in the day when people first started cutting recessed cavities for floating Floyds. They would cut to close to the studs and the wood would eventually give way around the studs. Guitar body was toast at that point.

This weekend I'm going to record some dry tracks of flutters / gurgles and look at them in Melodyne to see what the pitch and amplitude is doing.

I think I may be able to make the FX with a momentary switch set to an auto wah envelope filter in the Wah Block or maybe use the Pitch Block to make the pitch drop and go back up real fast to model what happens when you initially tap on the trem bar and then add vibrato in the Chorus Block.

Back
Top Bottom