Help! I have no idea how to make a mic work! Axe Fx-III

My wife and I were trying to cover Joji's 'Run' and I couldn't get her mic to work at all! I plugged the guitar in the instrument input in the front of the unit, and her SM58 into input 2. In the block view I had input 1 going to output 1 and input 2 going to output 2. We couldn't hear anything from either input source. I plugged my headphones into the headphone out in the front, and I plugged her headphones into output 2 in the back. No sound from either of them, and I know that it was recieving the signal as the lights in the front showed that it was in fact receiving signal from my guitar and her mic. Thanks for any help!

If you have sufficient gain from a mic pre, maybe you need to add that input to the grid and the output you wish the mic to go out of.

You don't need a mic pre for a dynamic mic, but some mics will surely benefit from one. As you said you're seeing input 2 lighting up, showing it detects the mic signal. Have you tried any process of elimination? Try a super simple chain such as: guitar into input 1 - volume block with level increased - output 1 and use either the main outs on the back or the front headphone jack. If that doesn't work then maybe it's a cable.

Are you wanting to mic and your guitar to go to separate output? If not you can just make separate input 1 and input 2 chains, but have them both link at output 1. Just in case you're not aware, input 1 does not need to link to output 1, or in 2 to out 2, 3 to 3,... They can be routed any way you like.

For an SM58?
Input 2 is line level meaning that a mic. will be too low an output to pass much signal....I use a TC helicon Mic Mechanic pedal between my mic and the input 2.
I place the input 2 block in parallel with the main string of blocks and patch in before the looper block but after everything else and then output everything on output 1 and output 2 as well ( sytem/ copy output 1 too output 2)

Input 2 is line level meaning that a mic. will be too low an output to pass much signal....I use a TC helicon Mic Mechanic pedal between my mic and the input 2.
I place the input 2 block in parallel with the main string of blocks and patch in before the looper block but after everything else and then output everything on output 1 and output 2 as well ( sytem/ copy output 1 too output 2)
I was thinking phantom power when I posted my reply. Maybe I need to start drinking coffee to wake up my brain, yikes :unamused:

For the record, I use a dynamic mic (Rode Podmic) into my AX3 without a preamp. I use for both micing my cab and then applying post FX, but I've also used it as a better alternative to my webcam mic for Skype. I've used an external preamp previously and while the results were much better, it wasn't absolutely necessary, just ideal.

Back
Top Bottom