Help: How to setup a real distortion/fuzz pedal in the AxeFx loop?

rsf1977_again

Power User
can someone talk me through how to use a real world stomp box distortion pedal in the loop of the axefx. I don't want to use it going into the front so I can control it's mix and when it's on/off with preset changes.

You plug the Axe Send into the pedal in, the pedal out to the Axe Return.

Then place the LOOP near the beginning of your signal chain, often first, although I prefer the Wah first.

is there anything as far as level settings or anything like that needing to be tweaked? I'd assume the output of a distortion pedal might be too hot?

is there anything as far as level settings or anything like that needing to be tweaked? I'd assume the output of a distortion pedal might be too hot?

Then you adjust the levels to compensate, either via the loop or by lowering the pedal output. You are not driving an amp so lots of output is not required

Most fuzz boxes won't sound very good in a loop as they are very often very sensitive to the position in the signal chain and the loading of the pickups etc

Worth a try, but most of the time I've found all my fuzzes to sound best first in the chain, and also cabled directly to the guitar, no wireless unit in between them either. Also the cheap dollar store carbon batteries, not 9v adapters

Last edited:
That brings up a request idea: A new block....the 'magic input impedance' block...it would give the pedal input a mirror of the guitar pickup/cord and the output of the pedal would see a non buffered path (or whatever fuzz pedals like to plug into).

Most fuzz boxes won't sound very good in a loop as they are very often very sensitive to the position in the single chain and the loading of the pickups etc

Worth a try, but most of the time I've found all my fuzzes to sound best first in the chain, and also cabled directly to the guitar, no wireless unit in between them either. Also the cheap dollar store carbon batteries, not 9v adapters

Yes, I use a non buffered switcher so I can have multiple pedals and have it MIDI switchable.

Back
Top Bottom