Help! - High Pitch Squeal coming from Ultra

bigedawg

Not sure what happened, but as I was tweaking a vox/matchless patch, a high pitched squeal started coming from/thru my Ultra. The noise changes pitch as I move the presence control from 0 to .39. At .47 the noise goes away. At .55 the noise comes back up to .71. after .71, the noise goes away. The noise is present from 0 to -10. Presence Freq @ 3010 hz.

Other points of interest...

If I bypass the amp, the noise goes away.
If I bypass the cabinet block, the noise gets louder and higher pitched.
If I'm in the "layout" screen over the amp block and hit the edit button, the noise a sweeping sound (sounds like a cartoon laser gun).
If I press the Tuner, the noise goes away
If I unplug my guitar, noise is still present
I've powered the unit off/on noise is still present
I've changed power outlets, noise still present

My patch is quite simple (I'd attached, but the Board attachment quota has been reached). input -> Amp block->Cab Block->Output

I'm using the ultra in with an atomic Reactor FR

Does it only happen on the one preset or is it "across the board"..?

If it is happening on multiple presets it may be worth uploading the preset so others can check it out, see if it is happening on others units.

bigedawg said:
I'm using the ultra in with an atomic Reactor FR
You didn't state whether or not you tried not using the Reactor. If not, do so. Eliminate every variable so you end up with the simplest test case.

Mike Snider said:
are you tweaking 2 feet in front of the speaker?

Um, probably pretty right here.

Tweak, move away, then test. I'm guessing your guitar is not all that well shielded as well, so gonna get that.

electronpirate said:
Mike Snider said:
are you tweaking 2 feet in front of the speaker?
Um, probably pretty right here. Tweak, move away, then test. I'm guessing your guitar is not all that well shielded as well, so gonna get that.
I don't think that is the issue. The OP stated that they unplugged the guitar and the problem still occurs.

Thanks for the responses guys! I'm going to continue trouble shooting after work. When tweaking, I'm a foot or two from the fractal and reactor. The two pieces of gear are a foot or two apart. I have not changed the position from which I tweak, so I don't think that has influenced/caused the high pitch noise.

I've not tested another preset. I will test this evening.

I'm not sure how tweaking in front of the speaker could be the root cause as the noise remains even when I unplug my guitar from the front input on the Ultra.

I've not tested the stabilizer, will do this evening.

I'll run a test thru studio monitors to elimate the reactor as a problem source.

Again Thanks for the input.

Chris

I've re-tested as recommended and the Ultra is still producing the high pitched noise. Again, I'd upload the sysex preset file, but I'm receiving an "attachment quota" error when attempting to upload. Here's my settings
Pg1
Amp type - Top Boost
Drive-5.98
Bass-1.42
Mid-5.63
Treb-0, BRT On
Pg2
Pres-0
Depth-0
Damp-9.17
Sag-1.54
Mstr-7.56
Level-0
Pg3
Warmth-0
Thump-0
Low Cut-330hz
High Cut-6155hz
Bright Cap - .10
Tonestack - Passive
Tonestack freq - 699 hz
Tone Location - Post
Pres Freq - 3010 hz
Pwr Tube Bias - .752
B+ 5.67
Trans Low Freq - 149 hz
Trans High Freq - 12038 hz
Trans Match - 6.61
Spkr Freq - 90 hz
Stabilizer - Off
Pres/Depth Type - Passive

Any Help is appreciated!

Chris

bigedawg said:
Thanks for the responses guys! I'm going to continue trouble shooting after work. When tweaking, I'm a foot or two from the fractal and reactor. The two pieces of gear are a foot or two apart. I have not changed the position from which I tweak, so I don't think that has influenced/caused the high pitch noise.

I've not tested another preset. I will test this evening.

I'm not sure how tweaking in front of the speaker could be the root cause as the noise remains even when I unplug my guitar from the front input on the Ultra.

I've not tested the stabilizer, will do this evening.

I'll run a test thru studio monitors to elimate the reactor as a problem source.

Again Thanks for the input.

Chris

however- don't rule out your distance to the speaker while tweaking.. The only time iv'd ever got my ultra to squeal was while tweaking very close to the speaker (on a solid state FR- has no direct correlation to the Reactor). Wether it was harmonics, feedback, some frequency- resonant or other, too much gain at that short distance....i cant say for sure what the initial cause of the squeal is, but the ultra finds itself in a sort of feedback loop and locks up in a a squeal.
In order to eliminate the reactor as a problem source- you need to test the studio monitors from the exact same position. Even then, the difference in speaker size (unless you have studio monitors the exact same size as the Reactor) will not create an equal comparison.
Another test would be to simply stand a few feet away- change nothing in terms of settings- volume etc. and see if the squeal occurs.

We can rule out the distance this time, but not all the time.

we can rule it out this time because it still occurs when no guitar is plugged in, therefore there would be no source to create the feedback type squealing you're talking about.

the-patient said:
We can rule out the distance this time, but not all the time.

we can rule it out this time because it still occurs when no guitar is plugged in, therefore there would be no source to create the feedback type squealing you're talking about.

I was under the impression the guitar was unplugged after the squeal began. My bad.

Back
Top Bottom