HELP HELP

How embarrassing. First time firmware update I succeeded on the file transfer. So instead of actually reading the screen to LET the axe-fx reboot itself I foolishly shut it off manually. Now I got nothing.........what do I do?? :oops: :oops:

I did same thing last month I think (after a year of successful updates).

I think they should change the Axe-edit message about rebooting to a Warning Box... " Do not cycle the power!"

I don't recall exactly what the axe-edit update message was, but when I read it I thought it was telling me to reboot the axe.
The axe was just sitting there after firmware progress screen was complete, so it appeared to be done and the message on reboot seemed to make sense... kind of like you reboot a computer after an OS update.

Lesson learned... leave it alone for awhile after the progress bar is done and check to see if it reboots itself.

Fractal was kind enought to send an eprom, so all is well now.

Casper said:
I did same thing last month I think (after a year of successful updates).

I think they should change the Axe-edit message about rebooting to a Warning Box... " Do not cycle the power!"

I don't recall exactly what the axe-edit update message was, but when I read it I thought it was telling me to reboot the axe.
The axe was just sitting there after firmware progress screen was complete, so it appeared to be done and the message on reboot seemed to make sense... kind of like you reboot a computer after an OS update.

Lesson learned... leave it alone for awhile after the progress bar is done and check to see if it reboots itself.

Fractal was kind enought to send an eprom, so all is well now.

Is the EPROM an easy install?

Eprom is fairly easy to install.

Here is what I did:

Unplug the unit.

BE CAREFUL on this next step> the top has the fan on it and the wires go to the board. You don't want to fling the top off and yank the wires out or yank on the board. So..... Unscrew the top and Gently move it to the side taking care not to yank the fan wires.

Ground youself to the chassis (I just keep my hand on it).

One way to get eprom out is if you have an eprom puller tool (I dont have one). I used a small pointed craft tool to gently pry up around the corners of the old chip up to get it out of the board socket. You could use a skinny nail, thick needle, or similar pointed object and get similar results.

The eproms dont have prongs like in the old days so there is nothing that can get bent. Fractal mails it in a regular envelope.

After getting the old one out, make sure the new one is oriented correctly and gently press it in until it is seated.. you may need to be slightly firm with it to fully seat it. You can tell it is oriented correctly because it has a small tab, or you can just pay attention to how the old one was oriented and take note to put new one in same way.

Reassemble.. AGAIN watch out not to yank the wires when moving the top!

Power on and enjoy.

Casper said:
Eprom is fairly easy to install.

Here is what I did:

Unplug the unit.

BE CAREFUL on this next step> the top has the fan on it and the wires go to the board. You don't want to fling the top off and yank the wires out or yank on the board. So..... Unscrew the top and Gently move it to the side taking care not to yank the fan wires.

Ground youself to the chassis (I just keep my hand on it).

One way to get eprom out is if you have an eprom puller tool (I dont have one). I used a small pointed craft tool to gently pry up around the corners of the old chip up to get it out of the board socket. You could use a skinny nail, thick needle, or similar pointed object and get similar results.

The eproms dont have prongs like in the old days so there is nothing that can get bent. Fractal mails it in a regular envelope.

After getting the old one out, make sure the new one is oriented correctly and gently press it in until it is seated.. you may need to be slightly firm with it to fully seat it. You can tell it is oriented correctly because it has a small tab, or you can just pay attention to how the old one was oriented and take note to put new one in same way.

Reassemble.. AGAIN watch out not to yank the wires when moving the top!

Power on and enjoy.
Thanks for this info. I hope the EPROM comes soon. I am underwhelmed with my Tone Port and Randall MTS amp. Pretty blah in comparison.....I have been AXE-spoiled......

Back
Top Bottom