Help FM3 won’t connect to Mac’s

TimPRS66

I have an FM3 was working fine yesterday and now it wont connect to FM3 Edit, just says disconnected. I have tried to two different Macs, changed the USB Cable. Was advised by support to try Fractal BoT also doesnt connect.

Any suggestions? I am bummed only had it 4 weeks and i live in Asia so support is a challenge.

Wrote email to support, they gave suggestions like power off both, power on, then connect, tried all that.

Its running FW 4.01 and havent changed anything? Help 😞

I'm using my FM3 with a Mac Book as well. Never had any issues with connecting.

In case you have USB hubs involved try to connect directly/without the hub.
Restarting the Mac might help as well.
I'm btw. connecting using a USB extension cable & a hub/docking station - still it works flawlessly. Could it be that the USB socket on the FM3 did get broken somehow?

as both macs dont work and usb cable also ok, would go fo a factory reset of the fm3, and then support if thats not working

I'm using my FM3 with a Mac Book as well. Never had any issues with connecting.

In case you have USB hubs involved try to connect directly/without the hub.
Restarting the Mac might help as well.
I'm btw. connecting using a USB extension cable & a hub/docking station - still it works flawlessly. Could it be that the USB socket on the FM3 did get broken somehow?
I don’t have any hubs, was working fine yesterday, not moved it, just sitting on the desk, have tried multiple reboots, but yeah will inspect the socket. But i fear its the unit

as both macs dont work and usb cable also ok, would go fo a factory reset of the fm3, and then support if thats not working
Does the factory reset wipe out all the presets? If so and it doesnt work then its bricked as i cannot reload if it doesnt connect 😬

Does the factory reset wipe out all the presets? If so and it doesnt work then its bricked as i cannot reload if it doesnt connect 😬
No, it doesn’t wipe presets. It resets global settings back to the factory values.

You can wipe them but that’s a different option in the reset page.

Hi TimPRS66
I had a similar problem with my FM3 but it was on windows.
Mine did have a faulty USB port in the end after trying everything.
I had a repair that failed and ended up having a new unit, so far so good!
The engineer at G66.eu did send me a message regarding USB failure which may be worth you checking out.
Cheers
Tim

Hi Tim,

sorry for all the hassle.
Two units with an USB issue.
🙁

Normally these units work flawless.

Over the time we learned that - in certain circumstances (especially live situations) the USB chip can be killed
when FM3 and the computer don't use the same power sockets. Different power sockets (herby circuits) often offer different electric potential.

Two unequal potential will compensate as soon as they can. Even if they "use" a plugged USB cable. This is dangerous.

For the same reason one must not use a FM3 connected to a power stabilizer (like Furmann ) with a computer that isn't part of that circuit.
That also can kill the USB chip or and the Computer. It most likely will.

So always be sure that your computer and FM share the same circuit.

Best regards

Knut

Oh...
Hi TimPRS66
I had a similar problem with my FM3 but it was on windows.
Mine did have a faulty USB port in the end after trying everything.
I had a repair that failed and ended up having a new unit, so far so good!
The engineer at G66.eu did send me a message regarding USB failure which may be worth you checking out.
Cheers
Tim

Hi Tim,

sorry for all the hassle.
Two units with an USB issue.
🙁

Normally these units work flawless.

Over the time we learned that - in certain circumstances (especially live situations) the USB chip can be killed
when FM3 and the computer don't use the same power sockets. Different power sockets (herby circuits) often offer different electric potential.

Two unequal potential will compensate as soon as they can. Even if they "use" a plugged USB cable. This is dangerous.

For the same reason one must not use a FM3 connected to a power stabilizer (like Furmann ) with a computer that isn't part of that circuit.
That also can kill the USB chip or and the Computer. It most likely will.

So always be sure that your computer and FM share the same circuit.

Best regards

Knut
OH... that something good to learn and take a note down. Thx for the tip

I have an FM3 was working fine yesterday and now it wont connect to FM3 Edit, just says disconnected. I have tried to two different Macs, changed the USB Cable. Was advised by support to try Fractal BoT also doesnt connect.

Any suggestions? I am bummed only had it 4 weeks and i live in Asia so support is a challenge.

Wrote email to support, they gave suggestions like power off both, power on, then connect, tried all that.

Its running FW 4.01 and havent changed anything? Help 😞
Try the reset system parameters on the FM3... also, plug the FM3 into another PC\Mac with the same USB cable.

If it was working and then stopped working, and if you tested it on another computer and it isn't working there, the de facto response from our support team should have been to ask you to try it if possible on a 3rd computer, and if not possible, to consider sending the unit to an authorized service center for evaluation.
If you want to look into service, please begin by contacting your local dealer. If you purchased through a grey market seller, you still have two options. First, you can try to purchase a warranty from your local dealer. Second, you can return the unit to the USA service center for non-warranty support.

Brand new FM3 owner here. I’ve had an issue with my 2015 MacBook Pro. With 4.01 I had this issue than rebooted and all was good. Upgraded to 5 beta and it will no longer recognize the FM3 as an audio device.

Oddly enough my M1 MacBook Pro has no issues so I’ve been using that but it makes no sense. (Same version of Mac OS)

I’ve used my helix, XAIR XR18 mixer and UMC audio interface without issues on the trouble Mac.

Thanks everyone so here is an update - i have just tried on a 3rd Mac and a 3rd Cable and its working. However everytime it connects it now goes through a “lengthy Reading Block Definitions process” ? Never did that before. Have managed to do a backup. But my other Mac that was working, no success I have tried reinstalling FM3 edit etc Trouble is the 3rd Mac is not mine. I have not yet done any resets on the FM3 any ideas?

Thanks everyone so here is an update - i have just tried on a 3rd Mac and a 3rd Cable and its working. However everytime it connects it now goes through a “lengthy Reading Block Definitions process” ? Never did that before. Have managed to do a backup. But my other Mac that was working, no success I have tried reinstalling FM3 edit etc Trouble is the 3rd Mac is not mine. I have not yet done any resets on the FM3 any ideas?
It’s supposed to read the definitions, so be sure to let it. Once it has it should only do it when the firmware updates. Then, whenever you start the editor it will scan the presets and cab banks in case you changed anything. You can change that behavior in the editor’s settings. If the editor doesn’t have permission to write to its default directory then it will retry until it’s able to successfully write its files.

This points to it not being a FM3 problem, but instead an OS configuration or permissions problem.

Thanks everyone, support have suggested to re-install FW4.01 (wasnt sure i want to go Beta 5.0 given my issues) and have given me a procedure to clean out the folders to hopefully solve the Block Definitions. Will try tomorrow with a fresh mind.
A shout out as well to Mark at Fractal who its seems was responsing at 11.30pm his time

It’s supposed to read the definitions, so be sure to let it. Once it has it should only do it when the firmware updates. Then, whenever you start the editor it will scan the presets and cab banks in case you changed anything. You can change that behavior in the editor’s settings. If the editor doesn’t have permission to write to its default directory then it will retry until it’s able to successfully write its files.

This points to it not being a FM3 problem, but instead an OS configuration or permissions problem.
Thanks I will investigate that further, i did compare the preferences with those given to me by support, but u raise a good point it either thinks my firmware has been updated or it didnt save the files 🤔

Thanks I will investigate that further, i did compare the preferences with those given to me by support, but u raise a good point it either thinks my firmware has been updated or it didnt save the files 🤔
You can force the editor to re-read the information, at which point it should be happy if it can save the gathered data, at least it’ll be happy until the next update. And if the scan of the presets and cabs takes too long for you there’s always the preference to disable them at the risk of the editor being unaware of changes you made, but you can refresh its knowledge of those too, IIRC.

So i assume i can check the library/Application/FM3 to see if they have been saved and timestamp - guess thats were it is?

Back
Top Bottom