Help! FM3 Freezing and front display going blank

cberry

Hi All

So today, I was clearing Presets with FM3 Edit (Manage Presets). Twice FM3 froze up and I had to do a force quite (Mac OSX). The second time the FM3 screen went completely dark...it faded and then it just went black. I did a restart and the screen came up. Needless to say I'm a little worried so if anyone can set my mind at ease or do I need to contact support. Thanks!

will the screen turn off if temperature gets to 125F? I’m going to run it again tomorrow and see if the problem persists.

Last edited:
Today I spent about 2hrs on the FM3 and I used FM3 Edit (Manage Presets) and cleared a bank of presets and installed a bunch of others. I didn't encounter a problem. It was so weird that yesterday FM3 Edit froze two times clearing presets and the FM3 front panel display went completely black. The temperature was showing 125F and today it was up to 125F but no problems. Anyway, I think if it shows up again I'll just contact support directly. I just thought maybe others experienced something like this. Cheers!

I didn't respond earlier even when I experienced freezes but in my case the screen never turn black.

I would hope the new firmware release could solve this. Try to establish a way to replicate the problem and then report to fas. They have been very helpful when I approached.

good luck and hope you get no more freezes

Thanks Rublalup, yes I'm not too worried as Fractal has great customer service. I tried to replicate the problem but couldn't ...so something glitched. The concern was the black screen. I'm on warranty until next April so if something is wrong with the unit it will show up before then but for now I'll keep on keeping on ;)

I had this happen once while saving a bunch of presets from FM3 Edit on an earlier firmware. I doubt it’s a hardware issue. Which firmware version were you on when it happened?

Following.

This exact problem happened with mine a couple of weeks ago whilst organising presets via FM3 Edit on Mac but the FM3 screen just went white and the buttons didn't light up. I restarted a couple of times and it wouldn't recognise the FM3 on my mac I then had to go to a rehearsal and it was fine as it wasn't connected to my mac which I think that and FME edit caused the problem. It's a bit concerning and hope it's not a hw fault.

Reactions: MPZ
Following.

This exact problem happened with mine a couple of weeks ago whilst organising presets via FM3 Edit on Mac but the FM3 screen just went white and the buttons didn't light up. I restarted a couple of times and it wouldn't recognise the FM3 on my mac I then had to go to a rehearsal and it was fine as it wasn't connected to my mac which I think that and FME edit caused the problem. It's a bit concerning and hope it's not a hw fault.
It happens to me too. Maybe it is due to installing FXIII presets via Ax-Change?

I was just clearing presets through FM3 Edit using Manage. I was clearing 20 at a time and it would delete around 8 and the freeze. Second time I did it the FM3 screen went white and then black. The next day when I did the same thing I didn’t have a problem. That’s why it was so perplexing it happened one day and no the next. It’s fine now but I’ll keep an eye on it... I just don’t want a hardware issue. Freezes happen and not necessarily hardware.

I was just clearing presets through FM3 Edit using Manage. I was clearing 20 at a time and it would delete around 8 and the freeze. Second time I did it the FM3 screen went white and then black. The next day when I did the same thing I didn’t have a problem. That’s why it was so perplexing it happened one day and no the next. It’s fine now but I’ll keep an eye on it... I just don’t want a hardware issue. Freezes happen and not necessarily hardware.
My semi-educated guess is that this depends on what preset you are on when you are doing the preset management. If the preset you are running has a high CPU usage there is a possibility that there is a timeout somewhere in the code that's not handled gracefully.

My semi-educated guess is that this depends on what preset you are on when you are doing the preset management. If the preset you are running has a high CPU usage there is a possibility that there is a timeout somewhere in the code that's not handled gracefully.
Thanks! This makes a lot of sense as I couldn't repeat the issue. This just goes to show you that posting an issue lets the community help you troubleshoot. Again, Fractal Audio customer care is the best ;)

My FM3 freezes occasionally when I try to load a preset like an FX3 preset that overloads the cpu. I have to shut down the FM3 and turn it back on again to continue. A bit of a pain in butt.

It happens to me too. Maybe it is due to installing FXIII presets via Ax-Change?
It happened just organising the factory and AustinBuddy FM3 presets. It's not happened since but has made me a bit cautious about moving lots of presets around and then doing a bulk save, doing it in smaller chunks seems to keep things operational

Back
Top Bottom