Help - Different guitars -> too different input level

Albion

Inspired
Hi Everybody,
I know that different guitar have a different output level but I have to say that the real difference in sound is more audible with my AXE FX then in a real valve Amp.
Maybe the valve in the input stage of an amp make a kind of levelling to the signal.
If I connect my Suhr pro (obviously bridge humb.) in a Valve amp and then I switch to my Les Paul I have more gain but If I do the same with my axe I have double the gain difference then in my valve amp.
This could be a problem in a gig.
So I'm trying to put a kind of level booster at the begining of my effect chain using a permanent switch on my MFC to change input level as I switch guitar.
The question is: what kind of level boosting should I use? A peq? Should I modify input level? (not very convenient during a show)
Is it possible do use a modifier for input trim?
Any other suggestion?
Sorry for my english and thank you for supporting users all around the world! :)

It's probably that you are setting you're valve amp up different than the axe. What valve amp were you using? How were you setting the valve amp up? It could also be a volume difference tricking you're ears!
To answer your question though, any block will work fine! You can use a comp, eq, peq, vol or even delay or drive.
My question would be why are you changing guitars if you want the same sound?

I don't want the same sound but I would like to have the same behavior of a valve amp.
With Axe I have 50% of the gain... Maybe less... With an amp maybe 10 or 20% less.
I'm talking of medium gain rock sound where the differences are very noticeable...
The problem is that input level is very important (and in an amp you don't have any input level) and gain affect the sound too much in comparison to an amp.
I would like to set input level for my guitar with more output signal and to balance other guitars pressing a switch instead of modifying levels or duplicating patches.
If it's possible and if it does not cause any problem.

If you have available patches the method I use is to just duplicate the patch and dial it in specifically for the alternate guitar. That way there are no compromises.

I've been doing some tone tests for some recording I'm doing and have a couple of amp models I'm using. So I have patches set up like this.

Patch A. Song 1 PRS Rhythm 1 (5150 Block)
Patch B. Song 1 PRS Rhythm 2 (5153 Red)
Patch C. Song 1 Gibson Rhythm 1 (5150 Block)
Patch D. Song 1 Gibson Rhythm 2 (5153 Red)
Patch E. Song 1 Fender Rhythm 1 (5150 Block)
Patch F. Song 1 Fender Rhythm 2 (5153 Red)

Etc

I don't want the same sound but I would like to have the same behavior of a valve amp.
With Axe I have 50% of the gain... Maybe less... With an amp maybe 10 or 20% less.
I'm talking of medium gain rock sound where the differences are very noticeable...
The problem is that input level is very important (and in an amp you don't have any input level) and gain affect the sound too much in comparison to an amp.
I would like to set input level for my guitar with more output signal and to balance other guitars pressing a switch instead of modifying levels or duplicating patches.

You can use an eq as the first block in your signal and just boost it until you get similar gain.
My experience is that switching guitars is the same as a valve amp though. What valve amp are you coming from? Is the axe set up identical?

The Axe-Fx matches the gain of a tube amp extremely closely. What doesn't match is the aural compression. It may seem as though there is a difference but there isn't. Tube amps get loud which causes compression in the cochlear which influences our perception of loudness and gain.

The Axe-Fx matches the gain of a tube amp extremely closely. What doesn't match is the aural compression. It may seem as though there is a difference but there isn't. Tube amps get loud which causes compression in the cochlear which influences our perception of loudness and gain.
I presume the Axe-FX behaves like a tube amp when cranked to similar SPL and drive/master settings?

I use a GEQ block as the first block in the chain to compensate for different guitars by using the global settings with tone and level settings. Of course, the guitars still sound unique, but this way I can easily copy my "master" patches and set the GEQ to the appropriate global setting for different guitars.

Back
Top Bottom