Help convince me not to sell my FM3!

Status
Not open for further replies.

otaman456

Hello,

TLDR: I am not happy with the tones coming out of my FM3, they sound muddy, boomy bass like, and like they are over in the next room. I am considering selling and going back to amps (Or maybe I am just still a noob). Examples posted in the link.

I play high gain metal and I got an FM3 last year and was really excited to switch over from amps to digital, especially hearing all the amazing reviews and feedback you kind folks get from digital amps. I knew there would be a big learning curve and over the last year, I dove into all the info, manuals, video tutorials, and especially the posts from all the gracious people on this forum, which I truly appreciate. At the end of the day, I can never recreate a sound that I see on a YouTube channel, or something Leon Todd posts, even when I follow it to a "T", it always sounds off. I purchased Cooper Carter's FM3 class and learned a ton there but my tones would never sound exactly like what I saw, even the free presets. I've gone down many paths trying to figure out where the problem may lay (if any), or is this how its supposed to sound? My results with plugins sound better at the end of the day. I've played with all the settings, adjusted the EQ, but was never satisfied. I use a Scarlet Solo, could it be my interface? I have KRK Rokit5s which I know may have a bad rep, but I don't want to be that guy that purchases more $$$ equipment just because something isn't right. I've seen plenty of YouTube videos where musicians use KRKs and it sounds fine.

Here's my signal chain:
Solar guitar with Fishmen Fluence Modern pickups
Mogami 1/4 Cables
FM3
Output 1 has an XLR to 1/4 going to my Scarlett Solo input
Scarlett Solo routes to my MacBook Pro USB
The FM3 also is routed USB to my MacBook Pro
Logic Pro X
Outputs are 1/4 cables routed to L & R KRK speakers

I've tried ditching the Scarlett and just using the FM3 as an interface as well and did not notice a difference.

I know this question has been asked occasionally and I have looked through all those forums and could not produce the results I wanted.

I would love some constructive feedback and am open to anything. As I mentioned, I've only been in the digital world for about a year and it was my quarantine project to to master. Thanks for all the help this forum has produced in the mean time, I appreciate you all!

4 preset examples used are:
15 Recto 2
36 FAS Modern
37 DAS Metall
63 6160 Block

Just listening through my crappy phone speaker, but it sounds like you might be overdriving your monitors.

I'm not well-versed enough yet to help (others will no doubt chime in), but from the gushing praise for Fractal gear, don't give up yet. There has to be something you have yet to change that will fix your issue.

Try low cut in the preamp page of the amp block. Also low cuts in the cab block will help get rid of boominess..

check FM3 output settings, there is must be a switch between -10db and +4db output level.
some mixers and monitors has an issue with handling the +4db output (I faced it when join to my current band)

about scarlett - scarlet has converters that will slightly degrade your sound, try to use fm3 without scarlett if you can

So, you are open to anything? Ok, Uh, that's not our job. why not change the title to ask for help with your sound\signal chain etc?

Go to manage presets, highlight all your presets, then right click on them and select 'reset AMP blocks' I did this to mine and it opened them right up.

You have some quality gear there man, things should be sounding lit!
If you haven't upgraded to Cygnus then I'd recommend doing that. I just got my new unit, upgraded everything, copied all the new patches over... man, they sound SO good. I'll chuck up some scrap recordings in this thread tonight.

Plug some headphones directly into the FM3 and check the tone there compared to your signal chain into the interface, it's a good way to triple check things are sounding great at the source.

But yeah the recording you posted here, frankly sounds like ass so I completely agree with you, something is not in a good state. If you're not attached to any presets I'd honestly just upgrade everything to 4.0 and start with a blank slate cause it's awesome.

Ok I am going to ask because you don't mention it in the thread. What speaker IR'S are you using? There are some free ones bouncing around here that are good and the IRs that come with the FM3 are fine, but many people swear by various brands and contend a particular IRs saved their tones. So perhaps this might be it. Your sound file does sound weird but not as bad as I imagined from your description, because it doesn't sound direct to DAW (it sounds like you are using an amp model), but perhaps you are not using a cab IR. To me it sounds like you aren't using an IR or if you are using an IR, the IR is not meant for the sound you are going for (say you are using a Bassman 2x10 instead of a Diezel 4x12) There is also a lot of sizzle on the top end. Try watching Leon Todd's YouTube videos where he goes step by step on how to apply filters to cut from 80 to as high as 180hz, and below and 6-8k and above. Lets start there. I assume you are using a cab but before I assume that is true, that will be my first question. My second question, just for fun, I assume you have tried this but if not, if you have a guitar amp with an effects loop and a cab, hook up the FM3 out to the amp effects return, turn off (Mute) the IR in your preset, and then play some riffs. Does the sound you get sound better, worse, or the same?

Last edited:
Which KRK monitors are you using? The Rokits are notorious for boom and mud.

^^ …this. I have never had luck with the Rokits. The KRK VXTs ..Big fan of those, but “Boom” and “Mud” pretty-much perfectly describes my very-very-brief experience with those Rokits.

Running Adam A7Xs these days, ..still fond of the KRK VXTs though!

I've seen plenty of YouTube videos where musicians use KRKs and it sounds fine.
How do you know what the monitors sound like in a YouTube video? You're almost certainly hearing the unit direct to a computer not the sound from their monitors... ;)

As far as following step by step instructions for dialing in a tone, remember you are you and the other person is not. No two people play the same and as such your results will differ. Probably can also add in different pickups, different strings, etc, etc... It all adds up.

That is why a wise mantra you'll see espoused here is "ears not eyes".

Have you compared with headphones?

I listened to your clip on my iPad and with some generic ear buds. Except for the ending part of the clip, it sounds ok to me although not my cup of musical tea (plus, I hate tea! ;))... But I'd suggest what was previously mentioned about bass cut. That's the biggest culprit I hear...

Also, without knowing what sound you're after it is hard to guide you.

I've had many FM3's and even more Fractal gear more times over than pretty much anyone. I can tell you one of the best things I ever did was DITCH any audio interface in between the FM3 and my monitors.
#2 -- I really think you owe it to yourself to try some York Audio IR's to see what could fit well with heavier tones.
#3 -- Adam nearfield monitors are so flipping amazing... I still use very old Adam A5's and they are ON POINT. Someone mentioned A7X's, I mean those much sound amazing. I hate to say spend more money to upgrade your monitors but man, if you cannot be satisfied with Adam's or similar, then I'll believe the FM3 is not for you... until then, jury is out!

Maybe ask this guy? He seems to have a tight sound in that tuning. Running an AX8 and the same monitors you are.

I am guessing you are saying to the OP that he used the same monitors as the OP to get that sound. The sound does not seem to be coming from the monitors for the video
Makes sense...........

My guitar has the Fishmans too and My tones are really tight, but I did a little tweaking like some of the suggestions mentioned.
I almost sold my unit when the 4 update hit, I was so hyped up and then when I tried it they were muddy as all hell and my expectations got the best of me hehe, I've since Reset all amp blocks and Installed Presets and did my lil eq thang and shit sounds better than ever way better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom