HELP! Connecting Axe-Fx3 to Cubase 8

I'm a little confused. In your original post you said audio from your AxeFX was playing fine through the connected speakers. Now, you say you get no sound through the connected speakers? You definitely should be getting output from the analog Output 1 L and R on your AxeFX.

To clarify...my Axe rig is in 1 room where I have an Atomic CLR plugged in via TS cable. That has ALWAYS given me sound. I have my cpu / interface / and KRK studio monitors (i.e. my 'recording' stuff) in another room. I have the KRK speakers connected to the AxeFx via 2 XLR cables, yet the AF3 isn't sending any sound to the KRK monitors when I play.

To clarify...my Axe rig is in 1 room where I have an Atomic CLR plugged in via TS cable. That has ALWAYS given me sound. I have my cpu / interface / and KRK studio monitors (i.e. my 'recording' stuff) in another room. I have the KRK speakers connected to the AxeFx via 2 XLR cables, yet the AF3 isn't sending any sound to the KRK monitors when I play.
Are you sure you're using the Output 1 XLRs? There are two sets of XLR outputs: Output 1 and Output 2. Sounds like you are plugged into Output 2.

I'm sure. I've tried both and have that issue figured out. Appears the KRK monitors don't accept XLR and TRS inputs at the same time. Still no luck getting AxeFx to send signal into Cubase though.

I'm sure. I've tried both and have that issue figured out. Appears the KRK monitors don't accept XLR and TRS inputs at the same time. Still no luck getting AxeFx to send signal into Cubase though.
You didn't mention anything about XLR and TRS before. Most monitors don't accept both. When you plug into the TRS it defeats the XLR.

That still doesn’t explain why the AxeFx signal is not appearing in Cubase faders.
Cubase is tricky with some things.

Do you have another DAW or similar program that can choose an audio source? Maybe a free app like Audacity it something?

To clarify...my Axe rig is in 1 room where I have an Atomic CLR plugged in via TS cable. That has ALWAYS given me sound.

This is plugged into Output 1 Correct?

I have the KRK speakers connected to the AxeFx via 2 XLR cables, yet the AF3 isn't sending any sound to the KRK monitors when I play.

The two KRK XLR's are plugged into Output 2 Correct?
If so, go into AxeIII setup> I/O>Scroll down to Output 2 D 'Copy Output 1' select on. You don't need an output 2 block in the preset with this setting.

Make sure your USB is plugged into a USB2 port. Check that USB port is not on any power saving or 'sleep' setting. If you're using a USB Hub make sure it is power supply is on. You may need to verify that your USB cable is good.
May help to know what OS your running. Mac or PC?

Last edited:
Simple things firts.
1) with only monitors connected to the Axe Output 1, do you get sound ?
2) if yes, connect to your mac with a usb cable. Select Axe in the mac preferences as audio device. Can you listen to iTunes songs on your monitors ?

In mixconsole at the top, expand the routing bar. Make sure everything is linked properly. Cubase is pretty straight forward and everything you did from your first post should work.

@ the OP:

I finally had a second to pull up Cubase. You may already have eveything set up correctly. Things I noticed were: The track meters didn't register until I started recording. So, my question is: Have you tried to record your guitar track even-though your NOT seeing audio register in your track meter?

edit: The track meters register while recording. To see mine register will idle, I had to enable monitoring for that track. Which is the little speaker icon on the track.

Last edited:
This is plugged into Output 1 Correct?

The two KRK XLR's are plugged into Output 2 Correct?
If so, go into AxeIII setup> I/O>Scroll down to Output 2 D 'Copy Output 1' select on. You don't need an output 2 block in the preset with this setting.

Make sure your USB is plugged into a USB2 port. Check that USB port is not on any power saving or 'sleep' setting. If you're using a USB Hub make sure it is power supply is on. You may need to verify that your USB cable is good.
May help to know what OS your running. Mac or PC?

Yes, the Atomic CLR is plugged into the Left TS jack of OUTPUT 1.
No, the KRK studio monitors are plugged into the XLR jacks of OUTPUT 1. I've also tried them on OUTPUT 2 with the 'Copy' option. This is all a moot point - as the KRKs can only accept 1 connection of the TRS/XLR type at 1 time...and my interface (Profire2626) is hanging on the KRKs via TRS. The XLR on the KRKs is defeated when you plug in both, per another commenter. OSX = 10.11.6 (El Capitan). I can't upgrade the OS any further, as it's an older cpu that doesn't meet reqs for updates beyond what I have. That said, IF someone on here can confirm that AxeFx requires a newer version of OSX to play nice with Cubase - then I will cross that bridge. I'm going to see if I can simply add my OS, HW/SW details in a signature on here to facilitate this discussion.

Lastly, the USB cable is good and the port appears to be USB2.0 (screenshot below).

upload_2018-11-12_15-36-11.png

Simple things firts.
1) with only monitors connected to the Axe Output 1, do you get sound ?
2) if yes, connect to your mac with a usb cable. Select Axe in the mac preferences as audio device. Can you listen to iTunes songs on your monitors ?

1) Yes. Assuming I remove the TRS connection that my interface is using on the KRKs and only have the XLR connection with AX3. However, this is simply the live sound from the Axe3...it's completely independent on Cubase and I need the sound to go into Cubase.
2) Yes, iTunes music plays out of KRKs (Axe3 OUT1 XLRs) and CLR Monitor (Axe3 OUT1 TS Humbuster).

this seems like it's getting too complicated for the issue at hand.

i believe the Axe-Fx is working as intended, since it's passing computer audio to your speakers through the Axe.

there must be some Cubase setting, in my opinion, though everything seems setup properly.

please consider trying another free DAW like Audacity as a test.

@ the OP:

I finally had a second to pull up Cubase. You may already have eveything set up correctly. Things I noticed were: The track meters didn't register until I started recording. So, my question is: Have you tried to record your guitar track even-though your NOT seeing audio register in your track meter?

edit: The track meters register while recording. To see mine register will idle, I had to enable monitoring for that track. Which is the little speaker icon on the track.

Yup, I've tried to record. No fader activity in near monitor button, nor in mix console and no wav appears in the track while recording. Essentially, the cursor just scrolls right.

If you can play sound using iTunes through the Axe-Fx then problem isn't your computer or the Axe-Fx, it's Cubase. Try Reaper. It's free to try.

Y I've also tried them on OUTPUT 2 with the 'Copy' option. This is all a moot point - as the KRKs can only accept 1 connection of the TRS/XLR type at 1 time...and my interface (Profire2626) is hanging on the KRKs via TRS. The XLR on the KRKs is defeated when you plug in both,

Actually, this is not a moot point.
Use one output L&R (either from the Profire or Axe but not both) into KRK's. XLR or TRS, It's really that simple. Since you're already using Output 1 for the Atomic is why I suggested using Axe Output 2 L&R for the KRK's. Of course that was before anyone knew you had another Interface in the equation.

If you want to use both units simultaneously, digitally connect the Axe & Profire via s/pdif or AES. If you go this route there are some settings that need to be changed so let us know what you're doing and we'll help. Also, with this setup there is no need to use USB at all if you hang the Axe off the Profire. This does need an alternative route for DI (Re-Amping) though but can be done using spare analogue I/O's on each unit. This is the way I've set my gear up.

Either way you need to pick one Interface as the main (master) unit where the KRK's will be plugged into for monitoring, and if you go digital the other as slave. Either unit can be Master or slave.

Last edited:
Actually, this is not a moot point.
Use one output L&R (either from the Profire or Axe but not both) into KRK's. XLR or TRS, It's really that simple. Since you're already using Output 1 for the Atomic is why I suggested using Axe Output 2 L&R for the KRK's. Of course that was before anyone knew you had another Interface in the equation.

If you want to use both units simultaneously, digitally connect the Axe & Profire via s/pdif or AES. If you go this route there are some settings that need to be changed so let us know what you're doing and we'll help.

Either way you need to pick one Interface as the main (master) unit where the KRK's will be plugged into for monitoring, and if you go digital the other as slave. Either unit can be Master or slave.

Zed - this is extremely promising - thanks. I would appreciate your advise on how to accomplish this. The KRKs MUST be dedicated to the interface - I'm a drummer, bass, keyboard player too and need ability to record all of this crap (guitars and the Axe3 are just part I'm trying to work out). Re: your post - I've been eyeing the SPDIF and AES (unfamiliar with this) outputs on the Axe3 wondering if this could be part of the solution. My thinking was that disconnecting XLR/TRS from the KRKs every time I needed to record guitars (Axe3) vs. everything else (via the Profire interface) would get old quick - - not to mention having to change all the ASIO drivers in Cubase. I'm a decent musician - but the tech side of this is over my head - so appreciate everyone who has tried to help....virtual beers on me if we get this working.

FYI - All who have commented. I've added a signature with gear / OS details to hopefully facilitate this convo.

Dumb question. And if I am muddying the waters and not understanding the issue or missing something in a previous post; apologies in advance.

Do you have to have the USB input enabled on the axe-fx itself to use it as a working interface with whatever DAW software? If so do you have that input enabled on the axe?

Do you have to have the USB input enabled on the axe-fx itself to use it as a working interface with whatever DAW software? If so do you have that input enabled on the axe?
do you mean the USB Input block and placing it on the Layout? that brings USB from the computer to the Layout. it has nothing to do with sending the Axe signal via USB to the computer.

Reactions: JTI
Zed - this is extremely promising - thanks. I would appreciate your advise on how to accomplish this. The KRKs MUST be dedicated to the interface - I'm a drummer, bass, keyboard player too and need ability to record all of this crap (guitars and the Axe3 are just part I'm trying to work out). Re: your post - I've been eyeing the SPDIF and AES (unfamiliar with this) outputs on the Axe3 wondering if this could be part of the solution. My thinking was that disconnecting XLR/TRS from the KRKs every time I needed to record guitars (Axe3) vs. everything else (via the Profire interface) would get old quick - - not to mention having to change all the ASIO drivers in Cubase. I'm a decent musician - but the tech side of this is over my head - so appreciate everyone who has tried to help....virtual beers on me if we get this working.

FYI - All who have commented. I've added a signature with gear / OS details to hopefully facilitate this convo.
i've suggested multiple times and FractalAudio has also suggested to try in a free DAW like Audacity or Reaper to see if things work.

is this something you can try as a test?

Back
Top Bottom