Help configuring Axe FX II with pro tools and Yamaha keyboard

gcam2000

Hello everyone.

I've been using the Axe FX II for about a year and I love it. The Axe serves as the main audio interface for my pro tools recordings. Recently I bought some new equipment. I have a Yamaha 88 key keyboard for recording keyboard sounds as both audio and midi in pro tools. I also have a focusrite audio interface for recording vocals to pro tools. Now that I have all of this stuff, I'm a bit confused as to how it all fits together.

The keyboard has its own audio interface built into it. I have connected the keyboard to my laptop via a USB cable which transmits both audio and MIDI. I am able to record MIDI date on an instrument track in pro tools. I haven't yet figured out how to record audio directly from the keyboard to pro tools.

I'm also a bit confused about which audio interface(s) to use. I expect that I will only use the focusrite when I record vocals (which is not that frequently).

My main question is how to configure the keyboard/midi controller in conjunction with the Axe FX II. Should I use both audio interfaces (the axe and the one in the keyboard). Or should I somehow bypass one of them? Can anyone help with the configuration of this?

I use the Axe Fx to get improved audio when I watch videos on the computer. Is it also possible to route the keyboard audio through the Axe FX to get the sound from the keyboard to come out of the speakers that are connected to the Axe? IF so how do I set that up?

Also, I noticed when I was using the keyboard as a MIDI controller for a plugin in pro tools that when I played chords over previously recorded guitar parts, the sound of the playback became choppy.

I'm running Windows 7 (64 bit).

I've already spent about a week working on this, and although I have made some progresss, it's still a bit of a mystery. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You could set the AxeFX as the main interface and use Input 2 on the back of the AxeFX (it's a stereo input) to plug the keyboard audio into

You'd need to set up appropriate routing in your AxeXF grid to get Input 2 routed appropriately

Keep the keyboard hooked up via USB as a controller to play your computer's virtual instruments

Alternatively, you could use your Focusrite as the only audio interface provided it has enough inputs.

Beyond that, you may just have to keep plugging different things in and out as and when required

Thanks Cover'd for your reply.

I like the idea of using the Axe FX as the main audio interface.
You say "You'd need to set up appropriate routing in your AxeXF grid to get Input 2 routed appropriately". Can you expand upon that. What would I need to do there?

With this keyboard they say that audio can be sent via the USB connection to the computer. Is there a way to route the USB keyboard audio from the computer back to the axe fx (maybe through its own usb connection to the computer) rather than having to use the stereo audio connections between the yamaha and the axe fx? Would it even make sense to do something like that?

I imagine also that I would have to somehow turn off the audio interface in the Yamaha keyboard itself. Is that correct?

Thanks again for your help!

You can only use one USB audio device at a time when using ASIO (which the Axe-fx uses). A program called ASIO4ALL allows for multiple ASIO devices to be used at once. It has mixed results depending on the interaction between devices.
Otherwise, you will need to use analog outs on one or more of the devices.

i have a similar setup and tried asio4all..but could not dig that driver. i use now every device what it was primarily made for... your focusrite is for sure a stellar device.

- run all audio outs (axefx, keyboard, mic) into the focusrite
- connect all midi wit the focusrite OR connect keyboard and axe via USB with your PC for midi over usb
- make the focusrite your prime audiointerface and midi interface

You will get lower latencies i suppose with the focusrite as audiointerface. just a possible config.

Thanks javajunkie for explaining that to me. I wasn't aware of this, but have a better understanding of it now.

I attempted to do some more recording today and was having all sorts of problems where previously (with just the axe fx and pro tools, before the keyboard and midi plug ins) everything had been working smoothly.

kberghoffer,
Now I'm starting to think that your idea of using the focusrite as the main interface may be the way to go. I'll have to do some more research on that. Thanks for pointing out the options more clearly for me. I really appreciate everyone's input. It can be so frustrating getting all of these items to work together. It's great that there is a forum like this to provide some guidance.

Back
Top Bottom