Help Axe-Fx III vs XL+ Amp Cab block tweaking

Tom Morris

Power User
Trying to dial in the III to match what I have built in the II XL+. My general mode of building a preset to match a cover tune is to pick the amp and cab the artist was using, or something as close as possible. My live rig consists of two passive Xitone wedges and a Seymour Duncan PowerStage 700 amp (I like the extra EQ ability of the amp). Amp modeling and Cab sims on. My final fine tuning is done in two parts, One In the amp block the other in the Cab block. Being that settings have changed across the two Axe FX’s its a bit unclear how to get the same feel from both.

First off the Amp block. I will just stick to settings that are’nt the same across the two devices.

Dynamics: Missing or renamed and moved elsewhere on the III. On the XL+ are Character Freq, Q and Amount. I rely heavily on these settings on high gain amps to shape sizzle or sparkle lets say of the high end and upper mids. What settings and where can I do the same on the III?

Cab Block: On the XL My go to settings rely on picking a Mic or Null and adding a bit (In general 2.00) proximity. The question here is being that the III doesn’t have the mic section, What do I tweak now? Just came to mind maybe I should be using cab lab to make these adjustments?

No speaker drive setting at all, it just seems to create muddiness through my amp and speakers. In the Amp block I also do quite a bit of tweaking to the speaker EQ curve, mainly to sculpt low end and punch. Some amps like the Boogie’s are super bass heavy so this is a great spot to pull all that low end out.

Thanks in advance. The Overtweaker……..

Treat the III like a new piece of gear. Have you listened to what it sounds like? The modeling is different and you may not need those controls.

Can't answer on the Amp block part but for the Cab block, I think the parameter is called "Distance". If you don't see it, let me know and I'll confirm.

Well yeah Chris lol. matching setting to setting across both devices sounds pretty close aside from the settings I've mentioned. it may be as simple as adjusting the global EQ. Haven't really had the time to compare the two side by side through the Xitone Seymour setup. I was hell bent on playing the III last night live. Overall was pretty good but a bit on the muddy side, mostly high gain songs. Was only two sets so used the III on the first set and XL+ on the second. Ahhhh if only I could add 12 more hours to a day.

Can't answer on the Amp block part but for the Cab block, I think the parameter is called "Distance". If you don't see it, let me know and I'll confirm.
Naaa, Distance is the same as it was in the XL+. Haven't unloaded from last night so I cant look. Think it was Delay on the XL+

character was a dynamic EQ (my words). it was removed in the III. perhaps just add EQ to get the high end you want.

the cab block has proximity and frequency, but no mic selection - so think of it as always on "null" so you can turn proximity up if you want.

character was a dynamic EQ (my words). it was removed in the III. perhaps just add EQ to get the high end you want.

the cab block has proximity and frequency, but no mic selection - so think of it as always on "null" so you can turn proximity up if you want.
"Character" was replaced by input EQ. Which can be dynamic if you set it up that way. It's more powerful than Character was.

"Character" was replaced by input EQ. Which can be dynamic if you set it up that way. It's more powerful than Character was.
Makes sense. When I first got the III I was playing with the input EQ quite a bit but decided to go back and flatten every preset and try to make it happen elsewhere. Guess I will be going back to that method.

Back
Top Bottom