Help! 2 wall warts fried!

quonsar

Power User
My LFjr took out 2 wall warts this afternoon. The first one came with my LFjr, it is 9VAC 1000mA. After being on and idle for about 5 minutes, the LFjr winked off. I noticed the wall wart was extremely hot. It has never gotten hot like that before.

I grabbed another wall wart, this one rated 9VAC 2000mA, and again within 5 minutes the LFjr winked out and once again, I noted the wall wart was EXTREMELY hot.

I'm at a loss. I am using a very heavy duty 7-pin cable I got from Best-Tronics http://best-tronics.com/guitar-cable/MIDI/midi7.aspx

Could this be a short in the cable? Would the LFjr operate with a cable short like that? The dang wall wart is still almost to hot to handle!

I've got a gig tomorrow, I'll go out and see if I can find another wall wart and plug directly into the LFjr to see if I can isolate whether the problem is in the cable or the liquid foot. Help!

Probably a dumb question but are you using the same electrical outlet as before when it was working ok?

Undereducated guess, but this sounds like a component within the LF may have failed, potentially creating an unintended current path to ground. If this is true, it may cause damage to power supplies until it is corrected.

Frank C - The wart is always plugged into one of the outlets on my Furman. The first failed in a rehearsal space, the second failed an hour or so later at my home.

xrist04 - I was thinking the same thing. I'm going to grab another wart today and just use my Midi-Mate for the gig. I'll experiment later. :)

java - I've left a post on the Lf forum. Is it better to PM James here? I know he changed his email address recently and I don't have that one.

Thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom