Heavy metal sound advice...

Oh and I just ordered my II!!!!!! I should get it on Wednesday. I can't wait to hear it with an updated patch from the II. I hope to have some solos to record soon. I've got a ton of ideas.

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

I really enjoyed the intro riff... very CoC-ish... keep it up! Now lay down some vocals on that bad boy!

+1
right at the intro I got a Black sabbath feeling, slow and heavy, great stuff. In all honesty, Im not so much for the hard fast stuff... Keep it slow and lay down some "Ozzy on Acid" vocals and Im buying the album... ;)

+1
right at the intro I got a Black sabbath feeling, slow and heavy, great stuff. In all honesty, Im not so much for the hard fast stuff... Keep it slow and lay down some "Ozzy on Acid" vocals and Im buying the album... ;)

You'll love the way I'm gonna end this track!!! I have a couple little parts I have to write before I can get to it. I'll probably do the vocals myself. Dear God that scares me. I'm no singer. I have some idea of how I'd like the Vox to sound. I might be able to pull it off. My II comes in tomorrow so I may be a bit distracted. Oh joyous day!!!

Sent from my iPod.

You'll love the way I'm gonna end this track!!! I have a couple little parts I have to write before I can get to it. I'll probably do the vocals myself. Dear God that scares me. I'm no singer. I have some idea of how I'd like the Vox to sound. I might be able to pull it off. My II comes in tomorrow so I may be a bit distracted. Oh joyous day!!!

Sent from my iPod.

Joy away... looking forward to that finished track now... chugga chugga chugga chugga...

I don't mean to sound braggy, but I received my II today. First on my agenda is to recreate the Euro Uber tone I had on this recording. I know I said I used the EnergyBall, but I was mistaken. DUDE!!! Holy FRICKIN CRAP!!! The artificial harmonics are SCREAMING at me!!! Even on the Low B string, which I have ALWAYS had trouble with. I'll try to post a recording tonight. I know it's not the Ultra anymore, but hopefully you guys are still interested.

I was actually quite discouraged with the II at first. Fortunately I still have my Ultra. So I A/B them through my Atomics. The CAB blocks are massively different. I used the 4x12 German on the Ultra and went for that on the II and it was WAAAAAY different. It took me about an hour to surpass (IMHO) the tone I had recorded w/ the Ultra.

Last edited:
Actually, I just found the German 4x12. It's the same frickin' sound!!! I'm even happier now!!!

+1
I also felt the presence of Tony Iommi there, man - that was the first impression the song had on me - a very good one! Great riffage!

Awesome compliment!!! Here is an updated recording. I used my new Axe FX II for this. I know it is not the Ultra anymore, but I figured I'd keep updating this thread for those who may be interested in my songs progress.

Sludge Fest by shotgunn on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Feel free to comment. I am still getting used to the newness of my II. I A/B'd this with my Ultra and tried to 'take it to the next level'. I'm not totally satisfied yet. I'm still getting over a NASTY head cold. My playing is also pretty subpar on this take.

I also felt the presence of Tony Iommi there, man - that was the first impression the song had on me - a very good one! Great riffage!

Both sound great! Nice chops. The II sounds like it has a lot of separation and clarity. Sounds like you could dial it in as close as you want or even surpass the Ultra for sure but right now I'm hearing the love in the Ultra tone. I'm hearing a more spongy tone from the Ultra which is what you were looking for to begin with. I guess the big hat trick is to achieve that full spongy tone and get great separation to cut through the mix too (just like a real tube amp). That's what I'm always trying to do. Sounds like you got it happening... Great job, sounds great!

I just uploaded a newer mix. I recorded all new guitars. I used a combination of the Uber and Energyball for the chorus (chunk chunk part). It sounds fizzy as hell, and that's AFTER I tried to cut some fizz in PT. I am using the John Tempesta snare (LOVE IT!!!) and Tama Star Classic Bubing 22" Kicks now (LOVE 'EM!!!!!) I used different tracks for each part of the sound and recorded dry tracks for reamping later. (once I figure out a sensible work flow). Overall I feel my performance was much better and tighter. There are some parts where you can totally tell that they were recorded on separate tracks. I may just end up doing it the way I did before. As in NOT having separate tracks for each song section.

I think I have a much spongier tone on the intro now (what I'm going for...) and the main verse riff dealy part. I boosted the mids on the Uber, cranked the master and Sag quite a bit, lowered the treble and lowered the Bright cap value. Oh, DUH, I used a different guitar too. The previous version was tracked using an Ibanez RG-7620 w/ a Dimarzio D-Sonic. This time I used my RG-1527 w/ Dimarzio Crunch Lab. I like the feel of this guitar better, playability I mean...

Let me know what you think.

Sludge Fest by shotgunn on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Thats a pretty shweet tone dude, I like how it marries up with the bass guitar in the mix. Super fucking sludgilating and what not lol. :lol

Thats a pretty shweet tone dude, I like how it marries up with the bass guitar in the mix. Super fucking sludgilating and what not lol. :lol

Thanx!!! Yeah it does sound pretty sweet with the bass. The bass sounds funny as hell solo'd. It's actually my Tele w/GraphTech Ghost 13-pin out into a Roland GI-20 and into the digidesign Xpand plugin set for hard picked bass and then into a Sans Amp PSA-1 plugin set for an SVT type sound. The pitch to MIDI conversion didn't track to well so there are TON of wrong notes and warbling and what not. I can't wait to borrow my friends 5 string bass and track it through my II!!!

Sent from my iPod.

NIce, raw!
Like that there's a lot of sonic space.

Last edited:
hey shotgunn, do you have any advice on you dialed in your tone on the axefx II vs. the Ultra... I'm having some growning pains as well lol

I have made (IMHO) major progress on my rhythm tone with my II this week. I went back to creating the tones with my Atomics as opposed to my HR-824's (not good for me to create tones with, doesn't seem to translate well.) I finally added some meedely. Nothing concrete just some rough ideas.

Let me know what you think.

Make your tones at high volume if possible. I was tweaking at low volumes and things weren't translating well. Not to mention that I was using my HR-824's too. I think even studio players should tweak at higher volumes. I am finding that I do not need as much gain as I think I would. Don't be afraid to adjust the advanced parameters. This time around I tweak the speaker resonance, Xformer Hi and Low, Xformer Drive, Match, etc... I think I have a bit too much gain in this latest recording due to some reamping issues. It subtracts from my desired 'spoginess'.

hey shotgunn, do you have any advice on you dialed in your tone on the axefx II vs. the Ultra... I'm having some growning pains as well lol

Glad to hear you're making happy progress fella
thumbsup.gif

Not much more to add other than to say I notice you've had a New Year trim up and cheers back at ya!
143.gif

Back
Top Bottom