Health Supplements. What are your favorites?

I take a bunch of typical stuff most of which has been mentioned already. The one I don’t see mentioned is Lions Mane mushroom. My job requires my brain to function well, and I have done my fair share of partying over the years. The Lions Mane works for me enough that I notice the difference. Less brain dead days and overall more clarity.

I had to google that one. I'm pretty sure that's not so good for mental health... Lol!!!

Indeed! But you can avoid headaches and mental issues if you adopt the NSA regime. It is made of natural ingredients, and it is said that its juice contains powerful probiotics 😜

Jokes aside... A couple of years ago I started exercising with kettlebells. I was struggling because my Body/Mass index is on the lower side, so I started taking ON Serious Mass. Now I have gained some weight and muscles, I am progressing with the kettlebells exercises, I feel healthier the more I exercise, and Mia Noi are also happy.

serious-mass-Choc_2665a11d-6475-4943-a67a-1d19e499775e_1024x.png

Besides that, I regularly take natural Curcumin (Tumeric) capsules, and eventually some Thai Traditional Medicine herbs to boost immunity (prevent covid, flu, etc)

Last edited:
Curcumin Phytosome 3 times a day.

I used to ski freestyle competitively, lots of bumps and aerials. Your knees are lousy shock absorbers. After an ACL tear and surgery in my late 20's, I was left with no cartilage in my right knee. I was told I would likely need a knee replacement eventually.

About 10 years ago my knee was starting to hurt pretty bad after even a few hours of skiing. Docs wanted to prescribe some powerful anti-inflammatories but I was concerned about side effects. My GP recommended Curcumin and gave me some literature that it was more effective than Celebrex with less side effects. I've been taking them ever since. I still ski every winter, although I keep my skis on the snow now and stick to the blue groomies.

Since then all kinds of studies are being done on Curcumin for so many different things, Cancer prevention and treatment, immune support, blood sugar regulation - the list of therapeutic uses goes on and on.

For those interested here's a PubMed article on the National Institute of Health's Library of Medicine:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3535097/
Curcumin, Icaren, Omega 3, and Resveratrol.
It's also known as RELIEF FACTOR for almost $80/mo
A years worth of all four at Costco is about $20-$25Ea..lol

Fish and Salads.
I saw a book, maybe 30 years ago and the (believed to be) oldest man in the US when it was first published (114 years) said his secret was eating sardines every day. Mainly because they were the cheapest meat, but he swore by them.

I saw a book, maybe 30 years ago and the (believed to be) oldest man in the US when it was first published (114 years) said his secret was eating sardines every day. Mainly because they were the cheapest meat, but he swore by them.

I like sardines, kippers too. Sardines, aka bait.

The nutrients are there. I prefer seafood when it's on sale and salads when I ask friends over for a gathering.

My Mom recently prepared a marinated salmon and spinach/feta/walnut/cranberry with balsamic glacé. Mom then took me down a notch in front of guests and told me to go brush my teeth. I'm like, "Seriously, you made this for all of us and then tell me to brush?" Guests were whipping out the tic-tacs quicker than you might imagine.

I countered with, "This is why we need brushing buddies. Nine out of ten dentists say that brushing alone doesn't prevent tooth decay." Mom was still not amused. Fish and garlic breath is no joke. Then, after the guests had enjoyed the evening, and were making ready to leave, Mom said, "You. Me. Kitchen." I smiled and said, "That's something I can agree to. I cannot abide by a dirty kitchen. I wash, you dry?"

Psylocibin and THC. Who wants to extend lifespan on this planet with a bunch of wretched souls
competing for supremacy at the expense of others. You all can have it!!! 🤣

I'm currently taking a generic 5000IU Vitamin D, 1g Algae Omega 3 Oil, and two Vitamin Shoppe ULTIMATE MAN®️®️®️®️®️®️®️®️ multivitamins (although I think they're overrated). They get me through the day fairly well. Without them I feel like a slug that wants to sleep all day though.

Mom’s are great. Enjoy every moment. I lost mine 1.5 years ago and miss her every day.
Yup. Mom's up there in years, 87 this year, getting to be a real firecracker/pistol/tough old bird. Her feistiness is only matched by her spirit for life. Mom is compassionate and giving/forgiving in her own way, but give her lip? Watch out there. Mom is the matriarch in our family tree now, and is exercising her position of authoritay accordingly...

Psylocibin and THC. Who wants to extend lifespan on this planet with a bunch of wretched souls
competing for supremacy at the expense of others. You all can have it!!! 🤣

Maybe we need to stand together against the wretched souls. Our own personal peeves are nothing compared to the few destroying everything for their own greed.

THC when I was in my teens and stopped by 22. It has its place but just not for me at this time. I have read and watched things about people micro-dosing psylocibin with lots of positive results. Maybe it's work, my grandkids or the world's current condition, but I feel the need to be clear headed and ready to do something at all times. Maybe I'm just paranoid? Maybe not?

Crap tons of good salt compared to the "recommendations"
daily NAC, vitamin D, and Niacin

Those make a noticeable difference for me. Salt is actually the most obvious. If you're sodium or potassium deficient and try to lift or move fast....taking salt feels like you're Popeye taking spinach.

I used to take creatine daily and have started back. I'm pretty sure it makes a difference, but it's subtle-ish to me.

The best I've felt basically since I was a kid was doing those things plus eating almost carnivore plus a good bit of fasting (I was trying to aggressively lose weight and fix my insulin response...it worked).

I've been taking ashwaganda and glutathione for about a week as an experiment for a long-standing inflammation issue that seems to have been caused by..."something" in the spring of 2021. The symptoms have changed/reduced but they're not gone yet. Those came from the guy who does High Intensity Health.

I feel like I either need to eat more sashimi or start taking EPA and DHA. I also have vitamin A on my list to try, but I don't remember why I put it on there.

Joe Rogan and Andrew Huberman have me almost convinced to try NAD+.

The hard part for me is finding zero-carb supplements. I still eat very low-carb (I pretty much only get carbs from fruit) and don't want to ever go back.

Crap tons of good salt compared to the "recommendations"
daily NAC, vitamin D, and Niacin

Those make a noticeable difference for me. Salt is actually the most obvious. If you're sodium or potassium deficient and try to lift or move fast....taking salt feels like you're Popeye taking spinach.

I used to take creatine daily and have started back. I'm pretty sure it makes a difference, but it's subtle-ish to me.

The best I've felt basically since I was a kid was doing those things plus eating almost carnivore plus a good bit of fasting (I was trying to aggressively lose weight and fix my insulin response...it worked).

I've been taking ashwaganda and glutathione for about a week as an experiment for a long-standing inflammation issue that seems to have been caused by..."something" in the spring of 2021. The symptoms have changed/reduced but they're not gone yet. Those came from the guy who does High Intensity Health.

I feel like I either need to eat more sashimi or start taking EPA and DHA. I also have vitamin A on my list to try, but I don't remember why I put it on there.

Joe Rogan and Andrew Huberman have me almost convinced to try NAD+.

The hard part for me is finding zero-carb supplements. I still eat very low-carb (I pretty much only get carbs from fruit) and don't want to ever go back.
I’m curious; how much salt per day?

I’m curious; how much salt per day?

You know...I honestly don't know exactly. I used to measure it and kind of stopped (and then forgot) when the labels wore off the measuring spoons I use and I got to where I could feel whether I needed more. I think they're 1/4 and 1/8 tsp spoons. I drink more salt in my water when I start to crave sweets (and the cravings go away almost immediately) and drink more plain water if my pee is too dark or strong-smelling for my preference. That's pretty much how I judge it....you kind of have to adjust it to how much you're getting from which sources, how much you're sweating, etc..

But, I put some mix of pink salt and KCl in coffee and most but not all of my water (always when I'm working out or riding my bike, or when it's hot out) and pink salt in basically everything I cook. Plus the normal crap table salt that's in food I don't cook (I cook/prepare the vast majority of what I eat because I got sick of unhealthy oils and hidden sugar).

FWIW, no my blood pressure has not gone up at all (and it's always been on the low side of normal), and yes, I've had bloodwork done, which is all better than when I was eating pretty much a normal US diet.

Story time:

The first day I really felt an acute salt deficiency during a workout was mind blowing.

It felt like my muscles just wouldn't do what my brain was telling them to do, but I wasn't actually that tired. It wasn't at all like the "bonk" I used to feel occasionally that comes from glycogen depletion. I had energy...I just felt like I didn't really have control of my body. Which can be dangerous with a kettlebell.

I quit the workout 1/3 of the way through and walked to my kitchen...where I saw a jar of honey roasted peanuts...and literally could not think of anything better in the whole world. I hate peanuts...not allergic, just hate the aftertaste...and this was after I started transitioning to keto/carnivore.

I realized it was the salt I wanted and ate like 1/4 or 1/2 tsp of pink salt by just putting it in my mouth and sucking on it until it went away. Less than 2 minutes later, I felt amazing. Literally picture Popeye downing a can of spinach, and that's how I felt. I went back to the basement, and started the workout over from the beginning...and had zero issues.

FWIW, I also never got the "keto flu" that people talk about. I had some GI distress for the first month or so going on it....but it somehow wasn't unpleasant. It felt more like my body was evacuating a bunch of **** it didn't need.

Sorry for the rant...I'm passionate that salt is probably good for most people. YMMV. IANAD. Do your own research. Etc..

I could see that. I generally avoid sodium in my diet as much as possible, but you really do need the stuff. Potassium, and Magnesium as well. I have some electrolyte drinks that I'll end up drinking even when not working out, because I just sort of feel like I need it. Same, blood work all good.

Back
Top Bottom