Headphones rabbit hole

I’ve been looking at the Blue Mofi/Lola for a really long time, since a lot of people at this forum are raving about them. Got a pair for Christmas this year so was really looking forward to try them out.

Unfortunately, there is something wrong with them. The left side is constantly dropping out and scratching. So now I have to try and return them for a new pair. Didn’t even get to try them out with the AX8. Bummer:(

Many Beyerdynamics are bright. Sennheiser Hd600 is a classic for a reason.

Mine aren't bright. I mean for me and the mixing I do with them and the presets I create. I think many will have their own favorites for various reasons. All metioned are good HP's imho.

I thought the DT-990 was way too scooped... very Bose/Sony sounding to my ears. I thought I'd love the DT-770 but was surprised how mid-y they were. Never heard the DT-880. The high-mid spike of the 7506 is a bit much. It sounds decent for music, and ideal for reporting field work, but it was brutal on straight up guitar tones -- maybe they just never broke in for me.

I love, love, love the Senn HD600 though. Super pleasant to listen to and very detailed -- it's amazing hearing things in a mix you've never heard before. It opens everything up so you can hear everything clearly in it's proper place. Mixes I thought were a "wall of sound" suddenly sounded like there was lots of space and you could hear all the individual parts. But I digress...

The Superlux HD668B are a poor mans version that aren't as clear and detailed, but they sound remarkable good, very easy to listen to, and they're oh so cheap.

Last edited:
+1 Beyerdynamic DT770 - nothing else I’ve tried gets the mids right like these, and since we are guitar players, nothing more important than the mid range. It’s safe to say that with most other headphones (both cans and in-ear), I can’t hear everything that’s happening in the midrange, until I switch to the DT770, and immediately, I go, “wow, how did I miss that 600Hz resonance?”

Audio-Technical ATH-M50: fantastic for AFTER you have already tweaked your presets. Use DT770 or DT880 or other flatter headphone for tweaking, then use these for a very pleasant musical experience. Just feels right.

Blue Lola headphones: a bit more of everything you get from the ATH-M50

I’m moving into a condo so my volume practing will be diminished. I have custom ie that I don’t like. Does anyone have a recommendation for large sized head phones that sound good and not like a chainsaw on overdriven tones?

Hi, I've tried Grado, but felt they did not handle the dynamic peaks of guitar well. I've had a pair of Sennheiser HD280's for the last 12 years which were better if not sonically as good. I've just got a pair of AKG K550's which I find are a great mix of comfort, closed back isolation with open back space. The K550's have a fast but tight bass with a very neutral mid and treble so lack the hyped sound of some other headphones which makes them both a good reference for setting presets but also easy on the ear for extended playing.

Some reviews warn about an issue with the earpieces not sealing for those with smaller heads, and I can see why this is as the round earpieces are wider than the Elliptical earpieces used on a lot of other cans.

Ok.. So I spent a couple hours with the HD-650s plugged into the front of the Axe Fx. So far, they sound pretty nice but seem VERY quiet in contrast to other headphones I've used, such as AKG k240s.

I normally turn Output 1 down to like 20 or 25% with the AKG phones. I had it at 100% with the 650s.

Is this normal?

Ok.. So I spent a couple hours with the HD-650s plugged into the front of the Axe Fx. So far, they sound pretty nice but seem VERY quiet in contrast to other headphones I've used, such as AKG k240s.

I normally turn Output 1 down to like 20 or 25% with the AKG phones. I had it at 100% with the 650s.

Is this normal?
The HD-650 is a 300 ohm high-impedance can. It’s going to take more signal to drive them to the same level as lower-impedance ‘phones.

Is this normal?
use an amp headphones!!

Back
Top Bottom