Headphones anyone?

sorry for thread hijack, but staying on topic :cool:
anyone have an opinion of the sennheiser hd280 pro? i'm also considering the hd650, but wondering if the 280 will do me for just playing the axe-fx through.

I found the following spec for the audio interface i was planning to plug the head phones into:

Headphone Output (1) 1/4" stereo jack 100 mW per channel at 50 Ohms

Apologies for my ignorance but can some one let me know what sort of impedance range i should stay within when picking some headphones, or should i be looking at getting a headphone amp as well?

hideous said:
anyone have an opinion of the sennheiser hd280 pro? i'm also considering the hd650, but wondering if the 280 will do me for just playing the axe-fx through.

HD280PRO is closed back, 65 Ohm , very high SPL (it's very loud)
kinda like the Sony MDR-V6/600/700/900 ... but probably better and more comfortable
then the Sony.

It's a good headphone but it's not an HD600.

Don't you have a Fry's Electronics or something else where you can test all these headphones side by side?
This way you get a feeling for different designs and makes.

You need to make some decisions.... first thing:
Do you want an open back or closed back headphones?
Big difference between the two!

;)

inkeyes said:
I found the following spec for the audio interface i was planning to plug the head phones into:

Headphone Output (1) 1/4" stereo jack 100 mW per channel at 50 Ohms

Apologies for my ignorance but can some one let me know what sort of impedance range i should stay within when picking some headphones, or should i be looking at getting a headphone amp as well?

That's not much output.
You need a low impedance (32ohm to 65ohm) with high SPL (any Sony will do)

;)

hmmmm, could be difficult with such low output. Read a couple of good reviews about the sennheiser HD 380 and the HD 595
Do you think they could be a good cheaper alternative to the 650s, without the need for a headphone amp? I think the 380 are 54 ohm

and i cant seem to find a single value for impedance for the 595s seem to get different numbers everywhere, anyone help?

AndrewSimon said:
hideous said:

kinda like the Sony MDR-V6/600/700/900 ... but probably better and more comfortable
then the Sony.

Don't you have a Fry's Electronics or something else where you can test all these headphones side by side?

;)
yeah, hard to decide which to get without trying them - no chance of that, I'll have to pick something & buy blind. Like the way the closed back shield outside noise, but the open ones are supposed to be more accurate or whatever :S Never really used top quality headphones before, this is all new to me.
Those HD650 better be damn good for the money :eek: I'm sure they are, but reluctant to spend that on a pair of headphones. Seems a bit extortionate to me.

hideous said:
AndrewSimon said:
hideous said:

then the Sony.

;)
yeah, hard to decide which to get without trying them - no chance of that, I'll have to pick something & buy blind. Like the way the closed back shield outside noise, but the open ones are supposed to be more accurate or whatever :S Never really used top quality headphones before, this is all new to me.
Those HD650 better be damn good for the money :eek: I'm sure they are, but reluctant to spend that on a pair of headphones. Seems a bit extortionate to me.

What is your budget?... give me number and I will recommend something.

:?:

I have the Beyerdynamic 770s as well.

I listened to every single headphone by all the majors (at AES) and chose these for sound and comfort.

+1 vote for the Sennheiser HD650's. They are very natural sounding, pretty flat/true response, and comfortable for long periods of use - everything you could ask for in a set of headphones. I also have Sony 7506's and Beyerdynamic DT770-Pro's to compare with, and the 650's are in a completely different league.

Looks like I'm going to need a heaphone amp then, can anybody recommend me one that will give me sufficient output? i.e high output impedence for use with studio headphones

Here's a list of what gets mentioned a lot on various musical forums.

AKG K701
Sennheiser HD650
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
SONY MDR7506
Sony MDR-7509 HD
Ultrasone HFI-580
Ultrasone-PRO 550
Denon AH-D1100

Count me in in the DT770 fan club.

I also bought a pair of Ultrasone PRO 750, but I was really disappointed. Everything sounds extremely thin, and it's not just the Axe, it's the same on everything.

I just bought some new headphones. I am digging them.

I've been a AKG owner/user for decades. Just bought some Audio Technica ATH-M50's and they are really good. Really comfortable. And I really like them.

I've been using a set of Sennheiser HD-25-1 (70 ohm) for about 7 years now almost daily. Loudest frickin headphones I've ever heard when using a low level output to drive them. Nice wide frequency response, relatively flat and if you look around you can get them for less than 2 bills. What's really nice is that they're modular so if a driver blows you can replace it easily, snap the cord, replace it and I just put some new pads on them last month and it's like having a brand new set again.

For a much better price and fairly close the HD205's surprised me and they're going in the $60-70 range all over the place.

Back
Top Bottom